Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fraudulent Telecom Companies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Fraudulent Telecom Companies

I was going through my local phone bill when I noticed it was a bit high. "Gee," I said, "why am I paying so much in long distance? I made only one 10 minute call to NY." So, manuevering through the crap that is the Verizon website, I found my bill and discovered that "USBI" is concurrently billing me for long distance. Without my consent, I might add.

So, I've been slammed. I get to haggle with people tomorrow morning to get back my money, prevent it from happening again, and if all else fails, find a different company for my phone or discontinue it altogether.

What burns me is that I might not have noticed until much later since Verizon didn't bother to notify me about my phone bill at all...I had to go hunt it down from another account.
    :rant:

2. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Sue them for all the cash they got!

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Telecommunications companies suck. They can't ever give you a straight answer on how much you actually have to pay when all is said and done. They have so many damn fees and they often resort to illegal tactics to make a profit. Boo telecom.

5. London

London IncGamers Member

I got my cell phone last November (2002). I paid $40 a month, for 1000 anytime minutes, with free nights and weekends. About Janurary my bills were insane, I was just like "Hmmm..." and didn't take much action, later on that year, I got an OUTRAGEOUS bill, like 150 or something like that. I called my phone company (T-Mobile) and asked them what was going on.

Turns out, I only had 600 anytime minutes with free nights and weekends. They didn't even bother telling me that I was losing 400 minutes. Cell phone companys are lame.

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

My old internet supplier did the same thing. I harassed them and threatened to spread how they jerked me around far and wide, to friends, neighbours, complete strangers and do all I could to possibly prevent business coming their way until they refunded my money. Which they did.

7. London

London IncGamers Member

Yeah, if you complain enough, they'll give you what you're asking for. I was refuneded ALL my back bills that were over... I think "not being notified if the change" was a good enough reason on my part, it took awhile, but its definitely worth it if it's a lot of money.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Last year my friends got screwed on their internet service. They had Earthlink DSL. They were paying for the max speed which came out to like 35 or 40 a month or something. Earthlink decided that they were going to cut them down to half of what they were paying for, without notifying them. And still had the nerve to charge them the price for full speed. It took lots of complaining before they got their money back.

9. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Nope, I have my outrageously overpriced cell phone for when I'm on the go. This is totally someone trying to cheat me out of my cash the old-fashioned way.

10. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

You should be able to call your telephone company and tell them that you do not want your long distance carrier change at any time without your express consent. Supposedly, if you do that, they need you on the phone verifying that you want your long distance carrier changed in order for that to happen.

11. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Well, I called Verizon, which actually had a really useful person on the other end who was extremely helpful. We looked at my bill and saw that the charges started on 1/2/04...a full month before that phone service was activated. (I moved and had to get a new phone number, and that didn't start until 2/3/04). So we called USBI. Apparently, their initials stand for "underhanded scumsucking billing inventory."

You see, the person who had my phone number before me shut off service in July of 2003. Yet USBI kept billing that number for long distance. So when I got my phone number in February, the charges started getting reapplied as if someone stopped their service for most of the year and signed back on half a year later as if nothing ever happened. Now, what kind of crack-induced logic is that? Someone stops service for most of a year; shouldn't that indicate that they don't need long distance anymore? Idiots.

The nice Verizon person was entertainingly skeptical of the USBI person's assurances that the charges would be stopped and my account credited. So, extra points for her being shrewd. :winner:

In short, Verizon apparently has occasionally qualified people answering their phones. Nicely done. And USBI sucks. Give me back my six dollars!

12. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Reminds me of the time I was charged for accepting a collect call at 2:00 AM, by some off-the-wall telcom co.

After a half hour on the phone with several jerks, numerous four and five letter words, and the fact that the only person at my shop at that hour is my rottweiler, I got my money back.

Don't be afraid to ask to speak to a supervisor, and don't be polite. Rudeness has a time and place. This is it.

13. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Precisely why I have only a cell phone. I have unlimited evening and weekend calling (starting at 8 pm) and a set number of daytime minutes. I know my bill will always be the same no matter how many phone calls I make, so long as I stay within my peak time calling. It's not all that hard and it is WAY cheaper than a standard phone line. I mean, just to get a basic setup with unlimited local calls is about $30 a month when it's all said and done. That doesn't even include a long distance service and the charges for that. By the time you get everything my $46 cell phone plan has on a standard phone, it'd end up being $60-$100 per month.

Plus, I can take my phone anywhere in the country and call from anywhere in the country and not pay anything extra.

I hate phone companies and refuse to use their services unless I absolutely have to.

14. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I have a cell. The service is spotty enough and the phone flaky enough that I need a land line in order to be safe.

that and the 174 dollar bill I had last month for going 200 minutes over what I'm allowed. :rant: