Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Franken's radio blog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Franken's radio blog

For anyone interested:
    http://www.ofrankenfactor.com/

A lot of it is refutation of lies and distortions by conservatives.

There is also mention of a Slate article that debunks the administration's ridiculous "350 tax increases" claim.

Also, Jeneane Garofalo has a blog for her show. For a long time, this was the only web site associated with the show that allowed feedback, so you'll see feedback related to the entire radio station there, not just for her show.
    http://www.majorityreportradio.com/weblog/

2. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Thanks for this :thumbsup: I'll have to add those to my favorites and go have a little fun. I'm already raising hell on Sen. Kerry's blog :lol:

EDIT:
    Anybody expect these clown to make it in radio? I don't. They're better suited for TV

3. Underseer

They have the number one Real audio stream on the Internet.

I'm sure your posts on Sen. Kerry's blog are giving the world a good representation of conservatives everywhere.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I didn't know they were up and streaming. That's good to know. I'll have to listen in.

No, my posts on his blog are better than the average conservatives. Thanks to the debates here I've learned where to hit for the most effect. You can't be banned there so it's a no-holds barred brawl :thumbsup:

5. Underseer

Smeg, you are a fine representative of conservatives and everything conservatives stand for. :thumbsup:

6. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I disagree wholeheartedly. Liberalism is better suited for TV.

Anyway, Franken's voice is terrible for radio. All good radio hosts have clear voices. He doesn't. His co-host is annoying to no end.

They will fail because they are going to be overtaken by the business aspect of this. Radio is about making money. Not ideals. Unless they can make money - and so few liberal radio show hosts ever have - they will go bankrupt. I'll be impressed if they survive, but I don't think they will.

8. SirKnightmare

Of course you are not going to think Franken's voice is clear, you are a neo-con. You know you aren't going to like he says so you really aren't going to pay attention to what he is saying.

I'm listening to him right now and he is coming in perfectly, there is nothing wrong with his voice. It'd be different if I listened to Limbaugh, all I would hear is "Drugs, Drugs, Drugs, DRUGS, Oxycontin rules, I'm a freaking bigot, Drugs, Drugs, DRUGS".

9. Underseer

Right, liberal radio just can't work. That's why Randi Rhodes spanked Rush Limbaugh in the ratings nine years in a row. There's about an equal number of Republicans vs Democrats, conservatives vs liberals, which is why conservative radio will work and liberal radio won't. This is also why no single conservative radio show gets more streams on the Internet than Air America.

Or maybe it's just because radio stations are almost entirely owned by rich Republicans. Nah, that couldn't be it.

10. Underseer

SirKnightmare, thanks for the link. The O'Reilley Bingo alone made the read worth it. :)

11. SirKnightmare

No prob, if you like that read the rest of the site, he's hilarious.

12. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I've had him on for the better part of an hour now. His voice isn't suited for radio. Both him and his host were talking in what I can only describe as a monotone droning. There's nothing lively there. The women reading the news sounds so much better. Pleasing, smooth & with perfect pronunciation. I'm just saying Franken's voice isn't suited for radio. Too much about him is centered around his body language, facial expressions, etc. It doesn't translate to radio. That's part of paying your dues. Learning how to come across well.

It's like trying to go from playing High School football and jump right into the NFL. Even the most talented HS kid can't make it. He has to pay his dues in college.

That's all you want to hear. And thus you'd avoid learning what the other side is saying. Your loss.

Care to back that up?

Rush doesn't stream. So you're trying to compare apples and oranges. Why not look at total number of listeners. Rush is #1 and has been #1 for years.

You think they'd refuse to run a successful and highly profitable liberal radio show because of politics? You got to be kidding. If there was such a show and it was making a killing, like all the major conservative shows do, Clear Channel would be falling all over itself to run it. Money is the sole reason for radio existing. They couldn't care less about the content, so long as it makes them money. That's how capitalism works.

13. SirKnightmare

Keyword I said "if" I listened to him, I don't. Anyway, you stuff me with enough right wing BS.

14. Freemason

Freemason Banned

And you know what? By limiting yourself to what conservatives are saying by listening only to me, you've essentially stuck your head int eh sand and left your arse hanging out. Just ripe for a boot to be planted. You have to know what everybody is saying or you'll get sandbagged.

Maccool, llad12, Munch. In the past couple of years I've only managed to sandbag mac, and then only once. Even that once wasn't much of one. All because they pay attention. I enjoy having them in the threads because there is so much that can be learned. I hope they feel the same about me. If not then they're just going to have to eat quiche :lol:

15. SirKnightmare

Yeehaw!!!! Some real Texan talk there cowboy. I said you give me enough, that doesn't mean it's all I get. Ever watch FOX News, I wouldn't be suprised if Cheney ran that network.

I am not liberal like what you may think, I am anti-Bush. The reason I am going against you neo-cons is you are doing whatever you can to defend him. The guy is a scum bag, all we have gotten from him is hundreds of dead US soldiers, soaring gas prices, a huge deficit, Kenneth Lay untouched after robbing thousands of their life savings, a terrorist attack he failed to prevent, and I could go on.

What annoys me about you is you would defend anything George Bush did, whether it be cheat on his wife to having a homosexual genocide. I mean a guy is talking about US soldiers dying and you go calling him gloomy, I mean what the hell is that.

16. Underseer

I have no idea where to get Nielsen ratings for South Florida (where Rush broadcasts from, BTW), but Rhodes was told she would not be paid unless she could beat Rush in the ratings (I think the ultimatum was made with the assumption that she wouldn't). She stayed on the air for 10 years in South Florida and left only to come to Air America where she could be broadcast nationally.

Irrelevant. You're arguing that liberal talk radio doesn't have a market, yet their stream is getting downloaded more than anything else Real has ever handled. If they lacked market appeal as you suggest, then surely something would get more traffic than their stream, right?

Of course. No one would ever try to discourage liberal radio for reasons of ideology.

There are as many liberals as conservatives out there, yet for 25 years we have had zero national liberal radio shows and tons of conservative shows, and this is purely for market reasons, right? *wink* *wink*

Oh, I'm sure they will jump all over liberal radio once someone shows it works and can make money, but they didn't exactly go out of their way to find out on their own, did they?

17. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

i've been listening to franken--well trying to. I don't have any serious issue with the points he's making...it's basically the same thing hannity is doing but the co host giggles.

my issue is they picked the one am station in my area with the worst reception possible. I always get this feedback sounding buzz/squeal noise and it gives me a headache. I'm not around online when he's on so i won't likely have the opportunity to listen to his show unless they get aound to fixing this.

It wouldn't bug me too much if it was just under bridges or something but it's everywhere from newark to woodstock, cal city to zion...even way out in rockford(well the signal gets bad out that far). i have only found a few stretches of road where it comes in well enough to listen to. really gets me because i liked franken's book, it was hilarious.

one thing i'd like to see in their show is more jokes like he had in his book. I'm listening to talk radio not just for news...i want to be entertained as well. sure some issues are serious and should be treated as such...but i don't think franken has the radio flair down yet. but give him a break...he's new.

I'm glad liberals have finally decided to push into radio...i think there is a market for both left and right in every medium. No one is ever done wrong because they were exposed to too many points of view.

if Air america would clear up their signal, and leave franken on long enough to let him get more comfortable i think they'll do okay. I'm not making any predictions aobut whther he'll take down rush or anything...but it's nice to have another point of view.

the really cool thing would be if thre was a way for me to listen to franken, rush, hannity and some of my other fav shows without missing so much while i'm on the road. franken being on the same time as rush is a little annoying...because i would listen to both if i could.

18. Underseer

Steve,
    The signal is pretty crappy where I am too, so most of the time I'm reduced to grabbing the web stream.

Actually, I think Franken's co-host is really annoying.

Randi's show is frankly better even though she uses Rush-like tactics such as hanging up on people at strategic times (listen for callers who suddenly stop talking while she's talking). That's to be expected though, Randi's been doing this for 10 years while all the others are non-professionals who jumped into the pool feet first so to speak. J. Garofalo and Chuck D. have shown steady improvement since they started, but they still have some a ways to go. I'll give them time and the benefit of doubt for now. *shrug*

Most of the short "comedy bits" they throw out are funny (e.g. "Air America Radio... only 25 years late!") but you're right, I wish they did more of it.

19. Underseer

Randi Rhodes on the panel's questioning of Dr. Rice: "Dey were throwin' so many softballs someone shoulda brought a keg and some bats!"

20. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

how can i listen to this randi rhodes? I don't really skim the channels...i just go to different stations when people suggest a show...i have friends all over the political spectrum so I get a strange mix. every few tiems I get too many people toogether (at a party where there's lots of drinking) it turns into a rant-fest. I think everyone I know just cancels each other out when they vote.

i love to listen to both sides....they don't change my mind very often...but sometimes i learn something.

I do think that all this attack and hype against the candidates is bad for the system...I'd like to see all this hate (on both sides) some of which I have even spewed, to be thinned out and have some actual disscussion about the future.

I also think it's about time the dems admit that kerry is their nominee. once that's official we can have some debates and we and we can get some issues and policies disscussed.