Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

France took bribes from Iraq's oil minister to take an anti-war stance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hellfire, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hellfire

Hellfire IncGamers Member

France took bribes from Iraq's oil minister to take an anti-war stance

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=30411

Dispicable... France isn't our ally, they are a competitor and should be treated as such. We should isolate France from US affairs.

2. toader

toader Banned

YES!!!

Finally we have evidnece...prosecute the whole stinky country!!!2!!

edit: for the slower folks (maccool) the preceeding statement is sarcastic and meant to sound childish on purpose.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You know what's fun? Reading and understanding the entire article, not just the headline.

But yeah, burn France. What have they ever done for us?

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Let's wait and see what the investigations will turn up. If true, it's wholly unsurprising. Politicians like money almost as much as they like themselves.

5. Hellfire

This reminds me of the thread about the Canadian man who claimed he was kidnapped and flown to Syria. Who do you believe?

I think the documents are real. I guess we'll have to wait and see. If these documents turn out to be true, France will have hell to pay.

6. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Well since you ask mr. Man... I'll tell you why we shouldn't burn france. ;)

1. They gave us French bread. Sure... it's just long bread.... but man... it goes well with spagetti and a wide variety of things. This is some useful bread!

2. Euro Disney.... *ack* come to think of it... scratch that.

3. Berets... yeah, so it's a stupid looking hat - but many a pop-star has made a nice fashion statement using them.

4. Wine. This speaks for itself... and to our livers.

5. Hairy women... ok.... so they haven't discovered the many nifty uses for razors yet....

Meh... come to think of it.... BURN IT ALL!! :teeth:

7. toader

toader Banned

What have they done for us...hmm let me think back....

I was just a boy at the time, but if I remember correctly, the USA wouldnt exist if not for the french. I remember them sending TONS of troops to help us beat the British, who at the time were winning the war and had us vastly outnumbered.

But that was their one moment in the sunray we call courage, but it cant be overlooked.

8. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I have a sneaking fear that if it stood to you we would have a second Omaha Beach landing, but this time without any ****s around.

EDIT: Hooray for automatic post editing. The four letters imply a certain very destructive political phenomenon.

9. Hellfire

Didnt we save france like 2 times? without us, they would be speaking german.

actually 3 if you count vietnam.

10. toader

toader Banned

Oh yea....well without them we would be speaking english!!

11. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I seem to recall that Bush's "Coalition of the Willing" has been termed "Coalition of the Bribed and Bullied" by many.

I also seem to recall that the US offered Turkey ~ 15 - 20 Billion dollars in loans and grants if they could use Turkey as a staging point for the invasion of Iraq. The Turks refused.

Oops ...

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yep, we sure saved them in Vietnam, and they weren't really saved in WWI, in fact, in the wake of WWI they were the most powerful nation in Europe

in WWII France got beaten like a drum, but that instance somehow has come to be attributed to the whole of French history?

I never understood such a vindictive attitude towards a nation that has always been our ally, but then again, a refusal is not the act of a friend, and I forgot we run our country like the mafia now, time to put a hit on France :xrollseye

13. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I think that was before all the intelligent frenchmen emmigrated to Quebec.

I any diaspora, the smart ones are the first to leave.

NB :p

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Oh, hell to pay, huh? You're going to invade france now?

And as for the Canadian guy, he never claimed he was kidnapped. Way to completely misremember anything that you don't like. He was arrested and wrongly deported to the wrong country.

France has a right to decide where it sends its forces. It doesn't HAVE to do everything the U.S. want it to.

15. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Actually we helped the French in WW1 and WW2. But back to the topic, politicans in a captilist society care about money. So they were "morally" opposed to the war? Politicans don't "morally" support anything unless there is something in it for them.

16. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Oh boy, historical revision is fun, isn't it? I'd imagine if the French realized alliances with the United States required eternal gratitude, they wouldn't have been so quick to accept our aid, especially considering what constitutes "saving them."

Consider how in World War I it was essentially a British-French alliance that halted the German advance, including the final Kaiserschlaut (sp?). U.S. troops arrived just in time for the mopping up and the push into Germany.

World War II, they and most of continental Europe were conquered by a German Blitz*. The liberation came three years later by US, British, and Canadian troops, two years after the German Army was finally stopped outside of Stalingrad (many people believe they delayed the second front in Europe so that the Soviet Union would take the brunt of the German war machine).

Vietnam, the French had already abandoned the colony long before the United States devoted serious manpower into the region. I personally wouldn't consider sending military observers to unsuccessfully help a European power retain a colony as "saving France."

Of course, after each time our troops come back and then we make Hollywood movies showing how we saved the world again and again.

* Trivia fact: Did you know at the start of the war the Polish army was stronger than the U.S. Army?

17. Hellfire

Oh please dont give me that crap. The USA saved frances butt in world war 1 and 2. Without us, they wouldnt exist right now. World War 1 was a STALEMATE before the US entered it. Any history proffessor will tell you that. Why do you think we were part of the "Big Four"? That whole "Americans came at the end of da war" is just Europes way to try and save face. and you probably have no pride in america (i know im gonna get flamed for this) or do not like america and thats why you try to revision history with an anti-american twist.

and polands army more power than us in wwii? Weren't the polish riding off to war on horseback? Did poland have 14 million soldiers, anti-tank bazookas, an air force, and massive amounts of tanks?

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You just ignore whatever parts of people's arguments you want to, don't you? He already said at the BEGINNING of WWII the Polish army was stronger. And he gave strong evidence that the U.S. didn't do as much as you claim it did. But sure, just stick your fingers in your ears and believe whatever horseshit propaganda you want to.

19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Russia did a hell of a lot of saving everyone in WW2. They never get the credit they deserve.

20. Hellfire

So without US help, Canada and Brittain (who was getting bombed to hell before the US entered the war) would have launched their OWN successful "D-Day" and liberate france? So the battle of the bulge would have been won without the 500,000 American troops who participated in that one battle? Japan would have been defeated without US help? (we pretty much fought the war in the pacific by ourselves, Russia didnt even declare war on Japan until 3 days after we nuked them)

Sorry, but your arguments just dont hold water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.