Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frame rate drop when kill diablo

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bobgazais, Jun 6, 2008.

1. bobgazais

bobgazais Banned

Frame rate drop when kill diablo

Sorry to post here did not find info blizzard support site nor via google search.
    If OT mod just move please.

Framerate normal except in CS pentagram when goes to 4 and bridges south
    of act5 wp1. Always drops and goes normal elsewhere. Number of players, game options, time of day, no differences. Not looking for a
    "workaround" - 'Hey, use window mode' ''Lower resolution' 'Update your drivers'
    'Buy a new computer' because everything is fine otherwise and this drop is only
    in these 2 places and I just want to know WHY?

Thanks, I feel better now, even with no response :)

bob

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: Frame rate drop when kill diablo

This is because of DirectX. You should use the opengl wrapper. I'll link to the thread about it in a minute.

EDIT: This should help:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=542694

There's another [more thorough?] thread somewhere, but you can search for that yourself if you need it.

3. bobgazais

bobgazais Banned

Thanks for your reply SnikSnak but I will not use a graphics wrapper because
    the game is slow in 2 places. What I was trying to understand was why ? Is there more
    data to swap around (to draw a bridge ?) or making the chaos area shake when diablo
    appears uses lots of data ? Dunno. But since everything works fine otherwise I will not
    risk adding more software.

In any case, ty,

bob

4. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

Same symptoms here. In 8 pl games when it comes to redbeast's appearance after the last protector of seals falls all freezes.

5. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I think it's because of the "major" graphics change of the lighting, and of course the shake. At least, that's for diablo.

For the frigid waypoint, are you sure it isn't the disk spin up because of the music?

6. bobgazais

bobgazais Banned

Play with music off, no fancy graphics, lighting lowest quality, screen 800x600.

For bridges might be because of the switch between two areas of the game: swap out,
    swap in. Dunno. Flabergasted.

Disk seems to spin randomly whenever it feels like it ;-)

The thing tickles me because everywhere else (well maybe i should redo some quests
    instead of key runs and boss killing and rushing people all the time) everything is
    hunky dory, no problems, 60 fps all the time.

bob

7. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

well to know if you need better hardware it would be nice to know what hardware you have...any other higher graphic games you run on the same computer? if so do they have any issues?

8. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

The graphics change I was referring to is the light up of the whole chaos sanctuary. It should be on for all graphics resolutions. If you can't get that fix, then you either have to live with it or download a wrapper as said.

Since there are disk spins, you should copy the MPQ files from the diablo expansion disk to your installation folder. This should fix the Frigid Highlands problem.

9. SnickerSnack

bobgazais: If you actually read the whole thread, you will see the reasons it happens, and that a wrapper is the only way to fix it. The problem lies with your graphics driver, not with the game.

IIRC, the game is designed to work with the glide graphics api, which is obsolete. No current graphics cards handle glide, so the game has the option of using directx. Apparently, the game doesn't handle certain areas well under directx, so there is slow down that cannot be avoided. Using the glide wrapper tricks Diablo into thinking that you have a glide capable video card. The wrapper is a translator only, not an executable. I recommend that you actually read the thread and search for other threads about the wrapper; I'm quite sure there is another.

The problem has nothing to do with an increase in data handling, and you don't need new hardware; quite the opposite, old hardware (glide capable graphics card) would work better.

*at least for the problems in chaos sanctuary and tal rasha's burial chamber

10. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

the other method to fix it is to use graphic mods, use google

11. bobgazais

bobgazais Banned

Gee. I thought the best thing was not to read what people write and to just listen to myself ;-) If *you* read my initial post you would infer that I was looking to understand not
    to have a solution. This wrapper proposal sounds too much like religion to me! 'trust me, have faith!'.

I have read this thread entirely, as well as your link. All very helpful but no where near
    the information I am seeking. Can we summarize and say that the areas or graphics of
    some places in the game are not handled as well as others because of graphics rendering ? And this is a software layer issue due to bad translations of graphics routines used by
    the game by the directX package ? Performance 'worked around' by the glide wrapper ?
    Just say yes and I will be satisfied, but keep on selling me detergent that magically
    cleans my clothes is not an option.

regards,

bob

12. SnickerSnack

What a gracious way to receive help that you asked for.

Knowing a solution helps to understand a problem. And I did explain what was going on. Maybe I didn't need to explain a way to fix the problem, but it seems like your indignation about that blinded you to the fact that I did answer the question you asked. My last post was not addressing only you, but also, for example, the guy who said that you might need new hardware.

I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.

Yeah, that's what I said in my last post.

By "the whole thread," I meant the thread that I linked to.

Perhaps I don't actually know what you're asking for. My apologies, but I thought that you wanted to know why there was slow down in the game in certain areas. If I'm right, but didn't explain well enough, here's an idea: find the website for the glide wrapper, and email the guy that made it. Maybe he can explain it to your satisfaction. Maybe, just maybe, the person who knows how to fix the problem knows what the problem is.

13. bobgazais

bobgazais Banned

I'll buy that! Thanks.

bob