Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FPS Problems

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by BenRosser787, May 31, 2005.

1. BenRosser787

BenRosser787 IncGamers Member

FPS Problems

Well, I just upgraded my computer with a new video card, a 6600GT, and 1.5 gigs of RAM. For some reason, Diablo II freaked out and now I get horrible FPS, as in 11-15, and less for areas with large groups of enemies. It is barely playable on normal, and I don't want to even attempt it on Nightmare or Hell. Anyone know what the issue could be? :confused: None of my other games have any sort of issues with my new equipment.

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

whats your screen resolution on your desktop. I remember sometimes if its too high, it can slow down a full screen game.

3. BenRosser787

I tried setting it lower, no effect :confused:

4. Comage

Comage IncGamers Member

Are you using Direct3D or DirectDraw?

Also, have you got the latest Nvidia drivers installed (v71.89)?

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

There's a trick, but...

After getting my system back not too long ago (another topic in itself) I recently upgraded to the newest ForceWare for my GeForce4 TI4200 from Gainward. I then received a rather startling result, but it took me a bit to figure out.

It must've been weeks, maybe months, but eventually - while in Upper Kurast at a waypoint in a pretty cleared top area (near the water just above the bridge) - I saw more than the usual 70-75FPS that I thought was normally the limit; I saw around 100. This given I regularly got single-digits in Baal runs and the long list of special effects were maxed, so I lowered them: lighting, perspective, resolution, everything. I even went into ForceWare setup and had already deactivated some, perhaps all, of the options there (not sure if this must be done before launching a program). The result was over 300FPS when nothing else was on the screen; this is not an exaggeration.

The problem is when anything else appears on the screen, whether it's someone's message, the text displaying 'Upper Kurast Waypoint' when mousing over the waypoint, the message log, a message window to type something - anything, the framerate drops like a rock. This is due to Blizzard's choice of implementation of their graphics, which - if you remember - was originally designed solely for 3dfx Voodoo video cards. I suspect that those cards get a high, steady amount of frames even with all the features selected and without drivers being updated very often by Wicked (if they are still at all). There's a chance that, along with the name change from Detonator to ForceWare, Nvidia has discovered a way to adapt old games meant for Glide to work with newer setups. It was, after all, Nvidia that practically bought out 3dfx, so maybe - just maybe - they finally found a way to allow OpenGL cards to get all those extra benefits. Still, taking huge hits just because someone spams...

Start in your ForceWare menu, not in the game. Create a profile specifically for Diablo II and disable every feature there. Then run D2 and disable all features there, select an area in normal (less likelyhood of getting whacked if you leave your character unattended in a field) and clear it of everything, including corpses. Test your FPS then without any text on the screen (other than the /fps or /framerate command) and report. If you need help with any of that you'll probably have to ask a tech forum and someone else should have a good link to one (not sure if I'm allowed to link the one I frequent).

6. BenRosser787

Thanks for the detailed post, but I have two problems: One, my FPS is constantly low, and doesn't get lower when there is text on the screen: It only gets lower with monsters on the screen, and it generally jerks around just when I am running. The second problem is that I can't find my forceware folder...and yes I have the latest drivers...where could I find it?

Thanks for the help.

7. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

If you can't figure out a real solution to your problem, try running diablo in windowed mode. That worked for me.

p.s. To run diablo in a window, go to the shortcut you run diablo from, right-click on it and select properties. Find the Target box. It'll say something like:

c:\diabloii\game.exe

change it to:

"c:\diabloii\game.exe" -w

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Is your video card a GeForce card of some sort? Those cards don't like to play nicely with diablo2. Crappy framerates and you have to use directdraw (from my experience).

9. EatmyArsenal

EatmyArsenal IncGamers Member

Is there a FPS command in Diablo2, or are you people just using Fraps or another FPS program equivalent?

10. BenRosser787

Yes it is, actually...

Is there any way to fix it...?

That didn't help at all, unfortunately.

Also, sometimes it will pause for about 5 seconds at random points, then go again. It will do these pauses in quick succession, then not do them for a while, then do them again. This is driving me insane.

Edit: Whooohooo! I fixed it! I went to Start/Programs/DiabloII/Video Test, then set it to 2d graphics mode (Using the Blizzard Technical support page, that place actually had something on it that worked!) and the issue it completely solved! Thanks everyone who offered input, I really appreciated it :thumbsup: :clap:

11. Comage

Comage IncGamers Member

Just a quick question: Is your CD-ROM drive whirring and spinning up when it pauses?

I'm asking this because mine does. The way I solved it was to use a "Virtual" CD program, and load the CD off from my hard drive (Sorry, but I don't know if this infringes the copyright rules around here).

12. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Multiple replies

Doesn't really matter, the point is to find the peak and if it's lower than my TI4200 then something beyond the game is probably causing problems.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Nvidia GeForce -> Performance and Quality Settings

Also, make sure you choose Direct3D from the Video Test and DxDiag is properly set. Direct3D is acceleration for DirectX, though it's not quite as good as OpenGL.

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551 is a good place to start. Also, try /help in channels, since not all the proper information is listed while in-game.

The 6600GT is the new line of Nvidia chipsets, but - as stated in my previous post - it's not the fault of Nvidia, ATI or any other OpenGL-based video adapters. Blizzard chose to make their game Glide-only then, after all the hooplah, bunged in Direct3D support. Inproperly written drivers can cause amazingly bad performance, and I suspect they're overseen by the same people as the cheat protection in this game.

Windowed mode can solve some problems, but the underlying issues still exist and must be dealt with.

13. BenRosser787

Everyone go back to the last post on the first page, my problem is solved, thanks to all that helped :D