four year layoff...

saulhudson

Diabloii.Net Member
four year layoff...

First, after four years, it is nice to see the game is still as addictive as ever (my wife isn't as happy however).

Second, I am amazed that there is still lag...I would have thought that technology would have overcome that.

Third, the game seems a lot more complicated now. I have studied builds and read the forums, but I don't know where to start. Do you have a suggestion of a barb build that is good for getting back in the game and assume that I have crappy gear and have to find it along the way (I was given a few items by someone in a game, but nothing elite)? I am at level 10 now and have not used any skill points yet. I have put some stat points in str and dex so I can use some weapons/armor that I find, but I probably only used 20.

I just want a basic barb that is not too complicated.

This is a PvM barb, and not on the ladder if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips.

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
All barbs are pretty item dependent, so they don't make great first characters. I'd go with a Summonmancer or Hammerdin to build wealth. However, if you are only interested in playing a Barb, I'd say Frenzy. You'll probably have your progress slow down quite a bit by the end of Normal unless you have a couple of lucky finds or a little help from a friendly forum member or two (plenty of those). I have finished the game with a Frenzy Barb on ladder with all self-found items, but it wasn't easy.

RibGriller

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, what Bjam said, but I'd add in a Blizz or Blizzball sorc (they're cheap too) for building wealth. My first char was a Barb, and I cringed at the thought of leaving the Rogue camp in Hell. Ha, those were hard times... GL

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
barbs are pretty hard to play untwinked because you need to pick a weapon mastery and skills you will use, and that depends a lot on what gear you have

the cheapest hell viable (ww) barb is the one with immortal king's (ik) set, and not incidentally that build is the least complicated as well (there is a guide in the sticky)

in any case however, if you want to build your wealth make a blizzard sorc and run hell meph over and over for tradeables until you collect the ik set

saulhudson

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for the replies. I am now at lvl 17 have not allocated any skill points yet. I guess I'll wait until I get a weapon that I really want to use and let that dictate. I try to get more gear so I am not limited to what I have so far. I have 7% life steal with ring and my rare sabre, so I have been ok so far.

Thanks again.