Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Found out something a little scary not to long ago.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by skihard, Apr 16, 2005.

1. skihard

skihard Banned

Found out something a little scary not to long ago.

A friend of a friend is a fireman and we met him at that mutual friend’s social gathering. Well during talking to him he was saying how it is disturbing how many people die because of either bad smoke alarms or not waking up when the smoke alarm goes off. he told us that you should do a “fire drill†in the middle of the night sometime to see how everyone reacts and you can use that as a learn tool for your family.

So…..

My Wife and I did a “fire drill†in the middle of the night not to long ago our kids slept right though the alarms, they have one in their room so we know it was that they could here it because of a closed door or something, my son did roll over however so he noticed it but not in a way that made him react as he should. So being “good†parents we wiggled them and said in very hurried tones that there was a fire and we had to get out. This of course scared the crap out of them but it had very good results. When we did the “fire drill†the other night they woke up, they ran to the rooms of there siblings to make sure they were up then they ran to our room to make sure we were up. Once they saw that we was a drill they calmed down and we asked them what they would do next if it wasn’t a drill, the answers were good ones and the right ones so I now feel confident about how they will react in the event of a fire.

I’m glad I talked to the Fire man and I suggest that if you have kids and have never done this you may be very surprised in what happens when the fire alarm goes off.

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Out of the frying pan...

About six months ago, one of my local news channels did a piece on how parents ought to do these drills and the results were the same as yours, skihard: the kids slept right through it. Kids are, by virtue of their youth and young brains, capable of achieving and maintaining deep sleep better than adolescents and adults. They need further stimulation than just an alarm to rouse them from their slumber. Skihard, you did the right and proper thing in making sure the kids woke up and knew what to do had this not been a drill.

3. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

beeing a ''kid'' myself this freaks me out

4. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

This is not a bad idea at all. I'm all for home safety.
    Goodjob on this thread. It may save someones life.

But 1st people. Lets change out those batteries in our alrdy fire alarms. Also of course get the carbon monoxide ones if you have gas products. Nothing would piss me off more to die to some over priced freakin natural gas. I know, I know they cost like 30 bucks sometimes. But get at least 1 if you live in a small home or apartment. If in a bigger home, place in "outside" of the room its in, never inside. Alot of gas products can release a smell kinda deal, which will make the damn thing go off, and drive ya nuts. So placing it outside like the utility room, above the door, is a fine place.
    If in the Kitchen..place it back towards the sleeping quarters if possible. Maybe 10 feet away up towards the ceiling.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Very good idea! Fires are scary things, even in college. Two years ago there was a house fire here at Ohio State that killed 4 or 5 students. Two years and 3 days ago to be exact. And not too long ago there was a fire at Miami Univerisity in Oxford, OH that killed 3 students. Everyone, not just families should make sure they have working smoke detectors and some sort of escape plan.

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Wow, we had a small fire here last night. I had an extention cord in my bedroom that somehow got between the frame and the box spring of my bed. After a few months of laying and Samara bouncing on it, it chose to catch on fire last night. I turned the light on..saw a spark and flames under the bed. I quickly turned the light off, pulled the plug (probably not a good idea), grabbed a pail of water and put the fire out.

7. ebyworx

ebyworx IncGamers Member

if your still able to type in otr then you did it all right

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

That reminds me that I had to call the fire department last night as well. Headed home from the bar, I looked down the alley to my left and saw some flames. Someone had lit a mattress on fire and it was near a giant hedge and a dumpster. That's why you should always have the police number stored in your phone. Even drunk, it's easy to find.

9. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

The fire alarms in our house are so puny. So went off a couple weeks ago when I was sleeping because my Dad burned something when he was cooking. I heard it, but I didn't run out of bed.