Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Found my Stormlash! Need to socket it

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nesjan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

Finally found a Stormlash for my Zealot after many weeks of farming lol, Diablo dropped it. Going to take it to act 5 and get 1 socket in it, now i cant decide if i should throw one of my ED jewels in it (i have 36% with 1-62 LD, also a 38%), or should i now farm for a high level rune
    Jah- Ignore Defense
    Ber- 20% CB
    Cham-Freeze target
    Lo- 20% DS
    Ohm- +50% Dmg
    Could also look for a unique lightning facet..

Thoughts?

2. Tatterson

Tatterson Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely not a jah, since it doens't work for champs and bosses

Ber maybe, whats your helm? With gores and gface I don't think you would need 20% extra.

Cham seems like a waste to be honest, you could use a raven frost for cold damage if you absolutely have to have it

Lo seems like a decent option

Ohm if you have spare ohms, but I'd personally never use an ohm when you can use a 40% jewel

Maybe a shael?

3. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

All of those high rune options are a waste. If you're planning on going for 99 as you say, you have better things to do with one. Just stick an ED jewel in there.

Also, I don't remember if I brought it up last time you talked about your gear plans, but you should be looking at Exile as your endgame shield.

4. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

I used to have a screenshot with my two stormlash's socketed with El runes :) Of course I removed them and put something useful in later, I can't remember what at the moment.

5. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

Yea i am going to throw my 36% ED with 1-62 LD i think, save any high level runes for runewords if i find them. Any specific reason you say i should be going for exile instead of my HoZ?

6. necrolemming

HoZ is a nice, cheap all-around option that doesn't offer anything interesting for melee characters. Exile does.

7. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

Could argue for Spirit in a nice base also if you’re going for 99 as at least 10 frame casting is ideal for any approach.

Caralis likes this.
  8. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations! :D

Life tap from Exile is annyoing since it overwrites decryp from merc (my reason for not using drac gloves aswell)

It is difficult to give you some ideas for socket if we don't know your current and desired end game gear.

Mal for prevent monster heal can be nice if you are going for higher p-settings later.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I would probably socket a Stormlash with a %ed jewel, with another affix if possible. I don't think there's a really good rune socketing for it, but if I had to decide for one, I would choose a Lo rune - assuming that you aren't using the RWM, else I would rather make Grief and choose a Mal or Eth rune.

Decrep slows down monsters which doesn't improve killing speed, but give you more time to act. It's useful for casters and missile characters, as long as there aren't better curses to be brought upon the enemy (like amp for physical bowazons). Lifetap is the ultimate protection from dying for a melee character. It allows massive life leech, even from unleechable enemies, as long as they aren't immune to physical damage.

10. necrolemming

Decrepify has -50% physical resistance, which does increase killing speed. I think Life Tap is something more useful the vast majority of the time, although it does make relying on Decrepify to break physical immunity an issue, which I mentioned with my last fanazealot pat. Stormlash has a pretty decent elemental damage component, though; it might be enough to get by if they're not strongly lightning resistant.

One other thing Exile does is free up the glove slot for Laying of Hands, which is a pretty significant chunk of damage against the majority of targets you'll be hitting from a slot that otherwise offers very little damage past 10% crushing blow on a craft.

I don't think a Lo would be worth it, even without the ability to use it for Grief or Fortitude, since Stormlash's physical damage is quite unimpressive.

The real budget socket solution here is an Eth rune.

11. drmalawi

Amn rune -> life steal.

I have never had any use of life tap on a zealer. I have used either lawbringer och lacerator on switch to cast decrep or amp dmg via zeal or smite. When your average zeal damage is about 5k and chance of double damage, ~10 % life steal has been enough for me to stay alive in any area of the game (appart from places with lots of unleachables, then I had to drink purple drinks)

12. necrolemming

Normal amounts of life leech from equipment are fine for most situations, but there's not really a whole lot of difference unless you're compromising your gear to stack more of it. Even with the Hell difficulty penalty, 5% from a ring feels like plenty and I rarely feel compelled to use String of Ears specifically for the life leech, although it's pretty good overall anyway. It's not going to save you in the kinds of lottery situations where Life Tap would, though - you're not going to be able to tank through multiple cursed might enchanted extra strong packs or conviction gloams with life leech from items.

13. drmalawi

15% chance to cast life tap will not do that either :)

14. necrolemming

You'd be surprised. 15% is more than it looks - it's very infrequent that it won't proc within a couple of swings, and as long as you aren't actually taking lethal amounts of damage between attacks, even a single hit connecting is going to fill the bulb up instantly. Life Tap's the difference between each hit healing 5% of max health and 90%.

15. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

decrep makes a huge difference for DPS especially when it matters most ie PI or nearly-PI monsters.

edit: more dmg also means more leech

Caralis and drmalawi like this.
  16. drmalawi

In addition, decrep makes monsters move/attack slower and also deal less damage -> Less damage taken, less need of life leech.

17. Caralis

Caralis Diabloii.Net Member

im with @drmalawi in this one, life tap is really useful tool of leech, but it messes with decrep, and decrep is better. It slows monsters, improve physical damage, improve leech and deal with inmunities.
    And you dont need life tap with a paladín that has max ress (at least fire and light) and max block vía holy shield.
    I think hoz is superior because of stats, ress and block. Although I will heavily rely on switch with spirit, cta and arachnid for 48 fcr breakpoint (if using enigma) or nosferatu if you lack ias and leech.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    drmalawi likes this.