Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fossil Confirmed to be of Oldest Land Creature Ever Discovered der

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Fossil Confirmed to be of Oldest Land Creature Ever Discovered

Linky

420 Million years old... that's one old bug. I wish I could discover something like that.

2. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Cool!

Thanks for the info.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Perhaps I should have given this thread a point...

Here's one! With this kind of evidence turning up all the time, how the hell can people still believe that the earth is only 6000 years old????

4. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

[SARCASM ON]
    Because all these "fossils" aren't really real. They were planted by Satan to make the weak-faithed believe in "devilution." Or perhaps the "fossils" were planted by God to test our faith.

Besides, smarty-pants, everyone knows that a Christian scientist proved that one of the dating methods is only accurate back to 6,000 years, therefore we can conclude that the universe didn't exist before 6,000 years ago.
    [SARCASM OFF]

Ah well, they're still not as bad as the flat Earth folks. *shudder*

5. NaderN

NaderN IncGamers Member

6,000 years lol

if they wanted to make it a little more believable, they should have said 6 million

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

It is my understanding that the 6000 year date came from a bishop of the church (Bishop Usher ??) who added up all the who begat whos from the book of Genesis and determined that the world began on 4004 BC ... at 9:00 AM.

Don't ask me how he did it ... ;)

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

So you could go exactly 420million years into the past and probably live.

I wonder what the vegetation was 420 years ago... I bet I'd like it.

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yup, good old Usher. He apparently counted back generations from Nebuchadnezzer to Adam and Eve. I'm not sure about the time, llad. Maybe God slept in that day (22 October) :D

But, wow! A land critter in the Silurian is totally neato. Although not hard to believe since the first tetrapod showed up in the Late Devonian, only ~45 Ma later.

9. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Is that Eastern Standard Time or Pacific?

Oh, and...

*insert Ronald Reagan joke here*

10. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Well, anookahooie2, he have enough problems with your name as is, just imagine the spelling issues when they would latinize your name and having the whole world misspell it. :p

11. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Bah, what a n00b. I touched a rock yesterday that was 2 billion years old.

Did you know meteorites are the most valuable rocks on the planet? They can be worth up to 100 times more than diamonds of the same size!! Yet they never seem to have lots of security around meteorite galleries...

12. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

because it's so much harder to find a buyer
    lol

look honey, i got you a meteorite ring!

13. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I find it interesting how the guy has a geology degree but is a bus driver.

14. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

friend of a friend got his first job mowing lawns after getting his bachelor of applied science (and was proud of it! haha)

15. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

more like 20,000 as i understand it.

And please.. science proves and disproves itself all the time.. almost nothing is concrete in science as stuff changes... it's no more viable than creation or any other theory people have out there. If you go by scientific research.. the earth would have been in the sun about 20 million years ago, making it a molten ball of goo, thus annihilating that little bug fossil.

Just because something is in the name of "science" doesn't make it entirely accurate.

and that's my answer.

16. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

While you're entitled to your beliefs, I think science is a heck of lot more reliable than some guy counting names in the bible and assigning arbitrary birthdates and lifespans to these people.

20 million years ago, the Earth was pretty much like it is today, except there were a few more giant mammals and a few less reptiles. Oh, and there only a couple Cetaceans.

But I'd like to hear more about this scientific research that makes you think the earth was in the sun 20 million years ago.

17. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

how much *** would that kick to have a piece of mars or an asteriod belt chilling in your necalace?

that pwns all other jewelry.

18. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

I've read articles written by scientists saying that the earth is moving farther away from the sun a certain amount distance over time. Well if you go back far enough, our orbit would draw us so close that we'd either be inside it, or we'd be like Mercury.. just a big ball of lava. I think they traced it back to roughly 20 million years ago this would be accurate. Well.. if that fossil is 420 million years old.. it must be one hell of a tough fossil.

I dont know, the point im trying to make is.. that science dissproves and proves itself over and over again... at one point scientists thought the world was flat, until a smarter one came around. Granted, technology is better today, but the world and the universe is such a complex thing... that i'd say it's a very very good possibility that science is wrong more often then we know. The same people who yell at religious people for blindly putting there faith into what they believe... are the same people who blindly put their faith into science. Kind of a double standard to me.

It's a problem that people will never agree on... for religious people (mainly christians cause i come from a christian background) it's, if science is right, then it means there wasn't a creator and thus no god. If creation is right... then a whole hell of a lot of stuff science has been talking about for a long time is wrong, and there is a creator, and there is a god. And that means that a lot of accountability comes to play.. and many people dont want to be accountable for their actions.

19. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Well I wonder what Pokemon will come out when they put it in the super duper fossil machine.

Seriously, that is pretty interesting, and it's funny how a rock can cause so much contreversy. But on that point few things don't cause contreversy (as well seen in the replies).

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I've never heard of this. There is a bit of wobble in the Earth's orbit, but it fluctuates, it is not in a constant dierction nor at a constant velocity.

Using religion as an excuse for not accepting science is a cop-out. I know many Geologists, Biologsts, Physicists, etc. who are Christian (even a couple fundamentalists). Being a scientist and being religious are not mutually exclusive. Science has never tried to prove or disprove the existance of a higher power, merely to understand how things in our universe work.

It's not like we sit around all day writing equations to prove religion is wrong or that penguins don't exist (props to anyone who gets the penguin reference).