Formula of the Day

tarnok

Diabloii.Net Member
Formula of the Day

The Quadratic Formula

This formula allows one to solve any quadratic equation without all that tedious factoring or completing the square. Similar but much more complicated formulae exist for third and fourth degree polynomials, while it has been proven that no such formula exists for fifth degree or higher polynomials.

Forcefeedback

Diabloii.Net Member
/rant born of frustration
I say down with public maths formulas involving fourth or higher polynom equations!

It would be heaven if you had to be a qualified maths expert to access the more complex formulas of maths stored in goverment controlled databases. This would prevent people studying some other science from getting frustrated with the number of existing formulae and ease the studying. When starting to study maths you would be required to fill out a form stating that you shall not sue anyone if your mind gets boggled and you lose your sanity trying to solve an equation involving sixth degree polynom with nepers constant, sin and other nice riddanses(sp). With the opening of the pandoras box (maths), you give your little finger to an demon ready to devour your mind every time you think of a problem.

Don't spoil your common sense, maths is a plague created by someone intelligent enough to know not to study maths theoreticly.
end rant/

Quadratic formula is a time saver everyone needs to have in their backbone when facing polynoms.

Mad Merlin

Diabloii.Net Member
tarnok said:
The Quadratic Formula

This formula allows one to solve any quadratic equation without all that tedious factoring or completing the square. Similar but much more complicated formulae exist for third and fourth degree polynomials, while it has been proven that no such formula exists for fifth degree or higher polynomials.
I don't know about you, but I've always preferred factoring when you don't have messy numbers. Takes far far less time.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Forcefeedback said:
Don't spoil your common sense, maths is a plague created by someone intelligent enough to know not to study maths theoreticly.
end rant/
Yes, yes, maths is indeed a plague. Down with math! Down with math! /sarcasm

Theoretically is the only cool way to study math, applications are for losers.

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
Yes, yes, maths is indeed a plague. Down with math! Down with math! /sarcasm

Theoretically is the only cool way to study math, applications are for losers.
can we model the fall of math as a function of time?

th5418

Banned
Boo! Its all about the pythagorean theorem even though i dont know how to spell it.

c²=a²+b² will destroy........the quadratic theorem anyday! MAUAAHHAH

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Merlin said:
I don't know about you, but I've always preferred factoring when you don't have messy numbers. Takes far far less time.
The problem is that when you're doing kinematics or modelling radiation damage (two examples I've actually worked with, so they come to mind), the numbers are never clean :(

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
The problem is that when you're doing kinematics or modelling radiation damage (two examples I've actually worked with, so they come to mind), the numbers are never clean :(
In real life the numbers are never clean. Only in textbooks are the examples perfect.

th5418

Banned
Of course you do factering whenever possible. Thats the freaking easiest way. If you cant factor it, its all about the quadratic.

Mad Merlin

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
That's when you throw the equation at your calculator and hit the solve button, unless you need an exact answer or something.

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
tarnok said:
The Quadratic Formula

There is no need to calculate manually;if you know formulas,just make a program which calculates solutions;i have made a program for my calculator which can solve any given polynomial until 10 th degree
By the way,it's better to give the formula than just talking about it