Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

For what class/build is act5 merc better?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lyndis, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

For what class/build is act5 merc better?

I heard that 1.09, everybody only used act 5 mercs. Now, everybody uses act 2 mercs. Is there any build out there right now for which a baba merc would be just as efficient or even better than an act2 merc?

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Well you'd have to find a build that doesn't have any Mana problems, and doesn't use Elemental damage. Also, they can't be doing any Melee damage. That eliminates like...everyone. Some idiot at blizzard wasn't paying attention when they were makng runewords. They just scrolled down, found all the ones that would be useful on a Merc, and made them 4os Polearms. Don't ask me why...

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Ok, any build that comes close then? What build can I effectively solo Hell with without the aura of an act2 merc, and at the same time can benefit greatly from having a barbarian tank? At first I though trapper, but trappers need the infinity to kill gloams and such. I don't really want to play a fishymancer at the moment either.

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

The problem is, the only thing the A5 merc really has over ANY of the other mercs is Tanking power. You need to find a build that needs a godly tank, but doesn't do Melee or Elemental damage. Or an expensive (mana-wise) skill...like I said, some A2 whore at blizzard decided to bone all the other mercs. A1 merc actually has SOME use, with Faith and Ice and all...but that's about it...

5. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

As far as I know other than the run on Act 1 mercs when they had the lightning hose effect, act 2 auras have always been most popular.
    Act 5 are good for some builds that want a up front mob draw (sorcs zons) but act 2 (and mostly NM until they made Defense mean something again) are always the big draw because of auras

6. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I actually use an Act 5 merc for my wind druid just for a change of looks. He's an excellent tank (along with my teddy bear), and he casts Decrepify everywhere with his Lawbringer, which makes my tornados just rip apart enemies. As an added bonus, he can't die from Iron Maiden due to the low physical damage of the Lawbringer.

7. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Ah, but don't you sometimes wish you had an Insight? I think that Windy's probably are the best choice for an A5 Merc user, because....idk, I just notice that lots of Windy's (as in, more than .001%) use it...

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Not really. My windy usually never runs out of mana. I can clear the Chaos Sanctuary without using a single mana pot (or maybe one mana pot).

9. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Whirlwinders needs someone other than an Rogue or Wolf since they run around after you too much. Though there are abilities Warriors have that are nice, I've successfully tested WW with a Barbarian and it works great. The Stun/Bash melds very nicely with the character's skills, but I'm not saying it's the best choice for WW, just that most WW don't use a mercenary at all and having a Barb around to carry that ethereal Bloodletter falcata is nifty. :)