Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

For the Love of MPing...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by poopie_pants, May 18, 2005.

1. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

For the Love of MPing...

I can not for the life of me figure out how to join/host MP (TC/IP) games. I read the FAQ and enabled the required ports, but still no luck :(. This leads me to believe it has something to do with my router or firewall (I guess lol). I have no problem admitting that I'm not technically gifted when it comes to these sort of things. I know my way around my computer, but that's about it. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and a solution would be most appreciated.

In case it matters, I play vanilla 1.10 expansion.

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:
    -PP

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

3. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Are you playing at home on a home network? Microsoft? I would suggest turning off any software firewall, virus protection... whatever else temporarily... if you can connect to an MP game with all of that off then you know where to start looking. If its not software on your pc, then its hardware on your network. Maybe you could list the make and model of each piece of hardware on your network, and we can figure something out from there

4. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

Basically, in order to fully enable multiplayer anything, two things have to be true:

1) The local application (your D2 installation on your computer) needs to at least be allowed to access your network connection over the required ports.

2) The remote application (the D2 installation of whoever you're playing with) needs to be allowed to send data to your computer over the required ports.

If you have a router/software-firewall setup, neither of these conditions will be met by default (unless you're using the crappy Windows Firewall that's incapable of blocking outgoing traffic, in which case the first condition is true no matter what).

What you're going to want to do is configure your firewall to give D2 network access (this will allow you to join games) and configure port forwarding on your router to direct unsolicited traffic on the the appropriate ports to your computer (this, in conjunction with the above step, will allow you to host).

Sorry, but I can't be any more specific than that unless you give me the info on your router, firewall, LAN configuration, etc. Good luck!

5. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the responses (and links) :clap: . I'll post some information on my router, firewall, etc. when I get home from work. Hopefully, we can put our (meaning your) brains together to figure this out :).

-PP