Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

For the envious...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by chubbypuppy, Mar 14, 2004.

1. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

For the envious...

Just bored, so I decide to post this. For those envious of others with all the cool equipment like enigma toilets, botd underwear, and so forth, I wanted to share something.

I'm one of those with almost all the good stuff. Not crazy like 5000 charms, but all the named stuff. Not bragging, just a matter of fact. I use ebay to get them. Please don't flame me, I figure if I can regularly spend $50 on eating out, or $20 on a movie, the money spent on Diablo for hours of fun is surely worth it.

Anyways, what's happening is that I'm bored stiff. If I have a barb that does 5-8k a whirl and I'm bored of him, there's no incentive for me to make another melee character. If I have a sorc that does all this crazy dual type damage, there's no incentive for me to make a wind druid or trapsin. On and on. I've tried fun builds, but then after a while they just don't cut it in hell and I give up.

I don't want to duel, and being powerful over others doesn't float my boat (see rant1 at bottom). I've been giving newbies free rushes for fun just to be different.

Anyways, so if you are envious of all those power babies, maybe this post will give you some consolation. At least when you make a different character, it won't seem so underpowered in comparison that it's no longer fun.

[rant1] What's up with all the people going hostile or picking on people? I've had a guy come in and said "this is now my game, get out". Instead of getting upset, I just left. I guess their real life is so pathetic that they do this to feel some worth. Please do something in real lift that changes it for the better - work out, goto college, whatever.

Off to dinner. Not sure if I'll eat an SOJ-worth or 3 BOTD worth...

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

[notaflame]
    Maybe the reason you are getting bored is because you feel the need to buy your way through the game? I highly suggest starting a new account and actually playing the game the way it was meant to be played. I don't see this as bragging at all - as far as I'm concerned you are no better than any other player starting out. And why do you feel this is where this thread belongs? Should others start using your buying strategy? I don't care that you buy all your stuff off Ebay, i honestly don't. I do however care that when you decide you are bored of the game, you come back and whine about it.
    [/notaflame]

3. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I don't think you got what the OP was trying to say. I think that he's saying, in a weird semi-conceited sort of way, that he's found that having a bunch of great items does not give him more pleasure from the game in the long run and that building up your character and having something to shoot for is where the enjoyment is at. Kind of a "money doesn't buy happiness" sort of thing.

And I don't see how this post is inappropriate for this forum. Maybe it could have gone in the Community forum instead, I guess...

4. chubbypuppy

Hmm

I never said I was better, and I in no way implied that people should use eBay. If someone wants to use a hack while I wander around the map for hours, fine. If someone wants to dupe while I do endless MF runs, fine.

Which other forum would you suggest I post something like this, besides general. I have played the game for years without buying, so I know how that works.

Finally, I didn't really feel that I was whining. If I was, I would whine about how blizzard made the game so eq dependent that you need eq to be good. I would whine that the way things are set up, there's only a few viable builds. I'm not whining, because this is basically a free game running on free servers. The $20 we paid in no way pays for all that maintainence.

Anyways, I guess I should have know better to post something that shared how a gamer felt and not expect a flame or two, even if it does say notaflame.

5. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I realize exactly what hes saying, i'm just saying that he should not complain of boredom before playing the game. And I still stick to this not belonging here. It has absolutely nothing to do with strategy and would have indeed had a better home in the community forum.

EDIT: This is not general. It's general strategy. Big difference. And I know the game is item dependant - that's why buying items off ebay is ruining the entire game.

6. chubbypuppy

I apologize then...

Sorry, I didnt even realize there was a community forum. I just come to this list of forums, and this seemed the most appropriate.

I believe that other poster may have nailed it closer to the head, although I'm not sure where that "semi self-conceited" part comes from. Money doesn't buy happiness. I guess everyone hates eBay buyers, ok that's fine. I guess I should move onto another game, because even with buying all the good stuff, I'm getting bored. There's only so many viable builds to try.

Maybe I'll try an untwinked character (hardcore is just too frustrating) and see how that goes ;)

7. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Again, I don't think that you do. He's not complaining of boredom, he's sharing his experience of how he's acquired all the top items off ebay and how it has caused him to become bored with the game.

Chubby, would you please confirm or disconfirm that this is the point you're trying to make?

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I was going to suggest you try Hardcore, but if it's not your cup of meat...you ought to give it a try, really!

I frankly don't care how you spend your money, in fact, I'd reckon that none of us do. I play the game the way I want to play. That includes finding gear on my own, cooperating, etc. Is my way better? No. It's just the way I choose to spend my time.

Hell, you spending money on gear is no worse than me spending money on booze. Except that beer is really tasty, if you're over 21 in the U.S. or 19 in Canada (standard disclaimer) :lol:

Do what you like, but realize that most folks here will go after you for your decision. Happy gaming!

9. -Edicius-

-Edicius- IncGamers Member

Ummm this whole convo can go down the drain, because does it really matter?

10. chubbypuppy

Actually I'm not sure...

...of my original point. I think I was just bored, and hungry enough to be getting cold, so I just posted something :)

I used to be real envious of all these cool items, so I went the (evil) eBay way, and now that I'm here it didn't make me all that happier. I just wanted to post something to share that feeling, so maybe others won't feel as envious.

I think sometimes we forget that this is a game, and however people play it is fine, except I still abhor people picking on other people.

I can't take hardcore. All that work, then something stupid like IM or fire explosion ends it. Kudos to those that makes it (and does it well).

11. -Edicius-

I'll give you credit on picking on other people. I hate it, because when i started, people picked on me. Now that i have high lvl's and pretty good items, i like to help people.

12. chubbypuppy

I hope you mean NOT picking on other people. I help out newbies with rushes and free gold, as I appreciate it when people do to same for me.

Anyways, I guess this convo is about dead. Off to dinner, and thanks everyone for their thoughts.

13. -Edicius-

Yeah that's what i meant. Hence, "Now that i have high lvl's and pretty good items, i like to help people."

14. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

One of the major appeals of this game is the striving to get what you want for what you feel will be the perfect character. It's inevitable that most people will be bored or uninterested once they have the items, after all the goal has been achieved, and unless they can find another goal, I think most would become bored after playing with the items for awhile.

The irony is, some people probably spend so much money on Ebay to get the items they want for the game they love, yet I think many will fall out of love with the game once they have them, leaving them a little poorer with a game they are a little less enthused about.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, but probably most. It's a lot like people's relationships in the real world.

15. chubbypuppy

Well said

Well said AFBrat.

Another point I would like to bring up is that I got caught up on the whole power thing, just like quite a few people when they said "my hammer does 40k damage" and stuff like that. I have to remember that this is just a game, something I do to relax after a long day of work, and I should just play what is fun.

I think I'll try to make my orb/hydra build again. Not the most powerful, but strong enough to not be frustrating, and I can use the spells I like. Hydras are too much fun!

16. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

I will still tell you to play hardcore! =) Even playing a very overpowered build can be challenging if you're new to it... its fun to have to play your best. But I digress...

If you're looking for fun builds, try deviant builds (pure Summoner Druid, Holy Freeze paladin, enchantress sorc, etc) that arent so underpowered that they're actually impossible (holy fire paladin comes to mind).

17. ThanatosNL

ThanatosNL IncGamers Member

Melee Necro

My brother is building a melee necro (I'm helping him out). He's got a Passion'ed Superior Legendary mallet (167-196 dmg), which gives him zeal as well. He'll have plenty of poison charms, a good golem, lots of curses. He also has a perfect gaze, lava gouts (probably will use Steelrends for enhanced damage), nosferatu's coil, gore riders, raven frost, and a Highlord's Wraith. Now we just need Chains of Honor, Nosferatu's Coil, and a BK ring. With a blessed aim merc, he'll be able to pummel monsters with zeal and take on crowds with attract and corpse explode.

Eventually, we'll go for Beast on the merc to give him fanaticism aura. Combine that with some ed jewels, and the Necro will do tons of damage *before* amp :)

In my opinion, too many people think of Diablo 2 as being a game about accumulating wealth. Wealth is a means to an end--start being a little creative and it will be so much more fun.

With the right equipment (which admittedly takes a lot of wealth, charms, and good merces), you can turn basically any character class into a hell-able melee character, and use the unique skills of that class to make the character unique. I've been considering a melee Amazon because of all the great passive skills she has.

Really, Hell is tough, but if you start looking around at websites mixing and matching equipment, you won't get bored when you do bland mf runs with the cookie cutter builds because you're working for something more original. My advice to the OP is to search the web for info about different runewords, sets, and uniques, and think of a totally new build that you haven't seen done before, and trade that eq you bought to make it happen.

18. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

My advice is NOT to go hardcore right away; if you are used to uber-weaponry, then you are going to get b**ch-slapped by the first quill rat you meet in Hell, and I think it takes a little time to get used to "caution-first" attitude. Trust me, you will die plenty if you are making any sort of melee character.

The path I have taken in 1.09 and 1.10 which you may want to think about has worked out pretty well for me. I build an untwinked MF character and twink him out as I go, then see what sort of interesting stuff I can find on the way. That will give me ideas for different characters I can build for fun and can solo through hell (note: I am currently almost exclusively PvM and play in sole games for the most part). Unless I find a Zod or two, I will never own a BotD, but it is kind of fun making subpar weapons work and changing strategy/build on the fly.

Example: My first two characters in 1.10 were a summon necro and a wind druid. Both are fun to play solo, and truly never die, although the "godliest" item I have on either one of them is probably skullders or a 38% travs. They occasionally find items to make themselves better, but generally find completely different things which have inspired me to make (for the first time) a zealot pally who is valiantly pushing his way through Hell act III now. I have fun with all of these characters -- the zealot has the best equipment and he is probably the most likely to die at any moment. When I am done, I may try a rabies druid so I can use some of the posion stuff I have found.

19. reno666

reno666 IncGamers Member

3 weeks ago I accidentally deleted my uber-godly-elitest PvP character :rant: (2x Chaos claws, 3/20/20s, Enigma, CtA, etc. - you get the picture; mostly courtesy of ebay :scared: ). After begging Blizz without any reply, I decided to start a MF character :idea: - a sorc to be exact, a char. I'd never ever played despite playing since Diablo 1 - and something funny happened along the way. I've started enjoying the game again. Go figure :evil: