Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

For fun: How would you improve sets?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Æ’enris, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

2. Daimyo

Daimyo IncGamers Member

The problem with most sets, particularly the lowest-level ones, is that the ones that include weapons have such ridiculously low damage that they become obsolete after about normal act 3 -- that's pretty ridiculous when you consider that a single player will never be able to collect or trade for the entire set until well past that point.

Isenharts is a fine example. The lightbrand (17-18 1handed damage, very fast) is a stellar weapon in act 1. It can be equipped at level 8. It remains very strong in act 2 for most classes, though the presence of some very powerful two-handed weapons (e.g. mauls) makes it less desireable for some classes. By act 3, great swords, giant axes, and other strong weapons start showing up, and the lightbrand falls farther behind. By act 5, it is not difficult to gamble good rare 1handed weapons with damage in the 30-40 range. The sword is pitiful by comparison.

The best way to fix these sets, and all sets in my opinion, is to set the level requirements slightly lower but add mods that increase in power with level. It always seemed like a really cool idea to me that I could be wearing Sigons set, for example, and the proerties of the set would get better as my character leveled until it finally topped out somewhere in, say, my 50s or 60s. This wouldn't be terribly hard to do; say you put an extra mod on the sword: + 2.5/level % enhanced damage (or whatever seems to make sense, I don't much want to run the math).

Other sets that suffer from painfully low damage weapons:
    -Tancreds
    -Vidalas
    -Arctic
    -Angelic
    -Sazabis
    -Aldurs (not as much anymore)
    -M'avinas (and on the elite amazon set, no less)

There are lots of others, but you get the point. I always thought that a complete set should be on par with the best uniques you could find--as it stands, nothing even comes close. M'avina's Battle Hymn, for example, is horribly eclipsed by someone wearing a Windforce, Atma's, Shaft or Twitch, Goreriders, and a decent pair of rare gloves. It's sad.

3. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Best set improvment ever would be:

give sanders set pink armor !!!!!!! :clap:

4. VVanker79

VVanker79 IncGamers Member

I think the easiest way to make Sets more appealing would be to make them upgradeable. You could even use the same cube recipe that you use for upgrading uniques, but make it applicable to Sets as well.

5. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

well if they could go to elite on the weapons, they would be wonderful items. at least should be allowed to go Exceptional.

My fav set is INfernal tools. IT needs the following
    two partial bonuses for faster cast.
    full set bonus of +2 skills.
    +1-40 lightning damage for 2 pieces
    Wand: +300% ED - upgradeable, 2 sockets
    Belt: -30% requirements - its really hard to eq and yet have mana early on
    Hat: Its kinda fine as is, gravy would be +50-100% ED% cuz it then would multiply more armour.

I dont expect it to be huge beefazoid, but this would carry one through normal. If you combine it with a few twinked decent charms, put a good gem or jewel in it, it would be good in a pinch for hitting. as it is, in normal it actually fairs ok with my low level charms. This set is normally my set of choice (necro) and I managed to find 2 pieces, the hat and belt, rather early on ladder (wore loads of topazed mf). So I traded for the weapon cheaply.

6. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Another one would be sick:
    Death's set would have these additions
    Sword: +150% Ed - upgradable to elite, +20% ias,partial +20% open wounds
    Belt: 100% ED - upgradable to elite, Partial +10% Deadly Strike - we need a belt that can do this in the game.
    Gloves: +100% ED - also above, and give them +10% Crushing blow

mmm be a rocking set yet not overpowered in beginning until you got some goblin toes and upgraded the weapon to exceptional. be a nice pvp thing.

7. Frezzist

Frezzist IncGamers Member

The best thing about the norm sets in my opinion the partial green bonus granted as pieces are added to your character. Many of these stats are of the + per level variety. Sets should remain non-upgradeable which is what makes them sets. (sets should also be uniform in norm, excep or elite items but that's a problem Blizz made).

So I think norm and excep weapons should have +%ed or else +min/max per level in green so that they are neither overpowered early or underpowered later. Defense per level and attack rating per level are already used on the defensive items and occasional weapons. In a similar fashion, here are some COMPLETE set mods (gold letters) that could be used to, get this, reward you for wearing a full set; mods that are really uncommon or just unique to sets:

All resists per level, say about 1 to 1 1/2% per level
    % damage reduced per level, about 1% every 4 or 5 levels
    % all absorb per level including magic damage (- poison), 1% every 10 levels
    +1 to all skills, about 1 every 20 levels
    % experience gained (already used by Blizz but should be set only)

I think the full set bonuses should be worthwhile and reflect the number of items in the set but not the scarcity of each particular set item. The bonuses should also be lower than comparible uniques but eventually become greater. They should also reflect the name and theme of each set; Hsarus could have % damage reduced and angelic could have life/mana/stats per level. It would be fun to see some of these full set builds like sigon or hsarus in hell rather than the same overused uniques.
    Maybe I've thought more about this than Blizz?

8. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Sazabi's Cobalt Redeemer mk2
    Cryptic sword
    275% ED
    40Ias
    200-300 cold damage
    freezes target+2
    lvl 5 redemption aura when equiped

9. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

upgradable aldurs set, mainly the weapon. that would be great. i dont think it is needed to change any of the stats, the weapon being a devil star is good enough.

edit: also, giving the chance of set items to be ethereal dammit ><

10. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Tearhaunch would be nice boots with a level 5 vigor or something >.<

11. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Well, i would just take Aldur´s weapon and at least make it elite, that should make it a little usefull IMHO...

12. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

For a complete Aldur's Watchtower, a bonus for Shape-Shifters should allow them to remain permenantly in their animal form (of course, you could manually switch back at will). :)

13. coldarmy13

coldarmy13 IncGamers Member

i think i have a 18 minute shift on my wolf. i don't see why u need to remain in shifted form forever. another fun thing, would be to have an auto minion when the set is completed. like that barb helm that was supposed to give a valhalla summon or something like that. i know i got the summon name wrong, but it'd be cool to have like...say a guardian angel for each class. lol. or even better, each full set gives an auto aura. that would be very nice imo. just not conviction on sorcs. unfair lol.