Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

For all the Rune Runners out there..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GCanada, Oct 19, 2010.

1. GCanada

GCanada Diabloii.Net Member

For all the Rune Runners out there..

I need a little help!

Long time player, started playin SP again about 6 months ago. Since then I have obtained lots of wealth with my lvl 92 blizz mf sorc and now I'm ready to start a new challenge: HR hunting!

I orginally started a Barb for trav running, but im just not a barb kinda player (def my least fav class), so at this point my options in front of me are to either:

1) make a Pally that can run trav/ WSK / CS
    2) make a zon that can run cows (which will be named MOREcowBELL, appropriately :lol2: )

I have the gear ATM to make either, what im wondering is which is more viable for obtaining those sought after HR's?

Trav or Cows?

I'm really in between on them, so any advice would be appreciated

thanks guys!

2. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

Re: For all the Rune Runners out there..

All those areas/places are pretty good for finding runes, and I think it's close enough that it's really impossible to answer without knowing what kind of run times you could achieve. Honestly, either will be fine, and whichever you feel would be more fun/challenging/whatever works for you, is going to be the right choice.

That said, I'd do the Pally because of 1) variety in areas and 2) cows are miserable as far uniques go, which would be a pretty big bonus for me personally.

3. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Bow Strafazon for WSK and Trav. Not for speed or efficiency or ease of play, but for sheer beauty and sexy destructioness.

So it says in the Bible. So it shall be. Amen.

SHUN THE UNBELIEVERS!

4. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

FishyZon for WSK running (hybrid LF Jav / Freeze Arrow) - cows too, but WSK is your target. But I'm not a true rune runner... but I want to be one when I grow up!

5. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

I've got a fever..........awesome name!

6. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

If you're really after the runes and don't like barbs, go for a Lightning Fury amazon as a cowrunner. Max Lightning Fury is a must, put one point in the passives you like. Make sure to use Razortail for the 33% chance to pierce, and put enough points in Pierce to get at least 50-60% (preferably 67&), so that you, in total, have 100% chance to pierce. Place the rest of your points in LF synergies.

There should be one or more guides around that give a more detailed explanation, but this should be a good rough outline. Good luck!

7. EatSleepDiablo

EatSleepDiablo Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I would run Lvl85 areas over Trav/Cows, unless you need a certain HR (i.e. Lo for Grief), in which case, LK may be the better option.

Look around for the Mini MFO results and you'll find both Trav and cow areas disappointing for the amount of time that was spent. And this is coming from someone who found a Zod from a CK minion.

I have nearly 2,000 WSK/Baal runs recorded (to be posted), and have found at least one of every HR except Jah and Zod. The beauty of WSK (and all Lvl85s) is that TC87s drop with some regularity, something that will not happen with cows/trav.

That said, if it comes down to Trav or cows, personally, I would go cows with pure LF. A properly equipped zon is a stud, and she is made to order for that level...

8. Arkardo

Is that so? Huh, I was wondering why those threads had died out. I guess I missed this in my Diablo break. Guess I'll change my pure lightning sorceress gear and reroll my map, so I can MF in the WS K then.

May I ask what kind of character/gear/map you use for the WS K/Baal? I'm guessing an Amazon LF/FA kind of build?

On second thought, I'm currently way more interested in HR's then items. Maybe I should give LK running another shot? Decisions, decisions...

9. EatSleepDiablo

The genesis of my character is here, but I have since respec'd her to pure LF, with one point in CS/Pen, rest in Pierce. Not a fan of D/A/E.

Gear is similar, but swapped out rare ring for SOJ, and War Travs for rare boots (F/L resists+MF). The latter was to overstack LR because of occasional problems with convicted souls. They are pretty much responsible for my last few deaths (with help from Tangueray), and the only thing that gives me trouble besides Fetishes...

Stats are a bit different as well. Now I have just enough Dex to max block, with a few into Str, and rest in Vit. With BO, I am running with 1925+- hit points.

Even with Enigma, she only teleports once per game (to Baal's platform). My map is setup for short runs on WSK2 and WSK3, where I kill 3 to 5 boss packs each (7-9 overall). I can usually clear the throne room and the first wave or two on my initial BO (170 secs).

I have recorded, on paper, all my S/U finds (+runes and blue Baal charms) by level, minion, and Baal, although it will take a bit of time to database for analysis. If I had to guess, boss packs have been the most productive with TC87s and HRs, but that is nothing new. Keep low expectations for Baal (and his minions) and you'll be rewarded eventually...

10. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Wouldn't pure lightning zon with 0 mf be best for /P8 cows? Runes and RW-bases.

11. Arkardo

Thanks, that's useful information! I appreciate you took the time to write all that down. I think I'll make such a Zon to see whether it works out for me.

@tavaritz: this basically covers it:

12. EatSleepDiablo

Qualified yes. Runes drop independent of MF, but socketables will definitely increase by eliminating/reducing MF.

13. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Cows max out at /p7 (exp from them is horrible in 1.10+ anyway)

before I zipped my 1.12 save folder and put it in many safe places, I had a zon sporting almost perf griffons (facet), 15% ormus (facet) and 3sox HHG (waiting for facets I never found). IIRC her gear was:

2 soj
    2/20 gloves with LOTS of gravy
    +2 zon blood craft ammy
    Griffons
    Head Hunter's Glory
    Ormus' Robes
    Razortail
    Silkweave
    Titans
    6 skillers (leaves room for cube, tomes and one 2x4 item)
    6 life/mana SCs

Put *almost* ALL my stat points in energy (had like 650 life) and didn't use a merc nor valk (they make herding cows very frustrating IMHO)

I didn't time my runs, but I spent a LOT more time than needed looking through stuff. /p3 is bad enough, /p7 makes it very time-consuming. It becomes a tradeoff between killing smaller groups of cows (takes longer, but stuff is easier to spot) or herd a little to kill a LOT at once, and then spend more time looking through stuff.

....then again, my travibarb had much the same problem.

14. naranjadita

naranjadita Diabloii.Net Member

Amen. [ten chars]

15. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

I shall seek guides to do this sexy and destructive Bow Strafazon.

16. GCanada

GCanada Diabloii.Net Member

Wow! thanks guys for all the replies!

I've decided on the Zon (esp after I realized I could turn her into a bow or hybrid later if I get too bored)

so, with that MOREcowBELL was born!

currently lvl 22 in act2

hope to get her well into NM tonight (time permitting)