Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Footage of New Armor

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ouroboros, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Diabloii.Net Member

Footage of New Armor

If you haven't seen this video yet, by all means do yourself a favor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8S3GGLX-Fs

Incredibly blown away by the WD armors. Everything they had shown for the WD up until this video had been underwhelming. Now that voodoo skull armor, and the moving tentacle zerg-ish armor has rested my fears.

However, the big barbarian elephant thing looks mighty awkward imo. Even the other red one. Seem like the shoulder pads are bigger than the chest armor, pretty ridic.

Liked the Wizard brown leather/metal combo armor - looked like a sweet mid-level getup and a nice relief considering the church steeple hat armor released pre-blizzcon.

The Jeweler looks sweet as well. I can almost hear his dialogue - all stingy and greedy.

Overall, the WD stuff is simply ... stunning. Who doesn't want to play a WD now .. and pass up the opportunity to have a Zerg-ish moving tentacled carapace? no one, thats who. :thumbsup:

2. Autti

Autti Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Footage of New Armor

What he didn't comment on is wether you can mix and match armour types, i assume you can though with the paper doll comment.

What i'm talking about it that the chest piece doesn't define the look of your boots (like it did in D2) so that each piece of armour shows correctly on your character.

3. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone knows if Bastion keep is in Act 1?

Seems like everything in the toolkit video is in Act 1.

4. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

That's what I want to know. This sounds stupid, but I wonder if that's how the game opens?

5. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

Should be similar to the first demo?

6. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Well, shouldn't matter to the WD; he doesn't wear any shoes! He's just that awesome.

7. Risingred

My reasoning is that I remember someone from the dev team saying that where the Blizzcon demo from 08 starts (wizard premier) was about five to six levels into the game.
    Now, I don't know where Leoric's Torture Chamber is, if you actually kill the skeleton king and then move on to the chamber?

The other thing is that the world has been at peace for 20 years, and then monsters come pouring out into the world. Well, they seem to come pouring out of the keep.
    But perhaps the cultists come before that. I dunno. It's hard to tell.

8. badKarma

badKarma Diabloii.Net Member

I absolutely hated D2's Barbarian armour, most if not all of it did not appeal to me. So with D3's elephant armour being a bit silly, it's still a big upgrade in my eyes.

9. popenfresh

popenfresh Diabloii.Net Member

The barb's armour was simply put, ridiculous. His shoulders are 2/3 the length of his height.... The 1st and 2nd WD sets didn't really appeal to me but at least they weren't as obscene as the barb's. I liked the 3rd WD set the most actually, it's exactly how I imagine how a WD should look like. The tentacle set was pretty neat I guess but it looks sort of out of place to me.

I just how the monk will have more discrete armour sets... :(

10. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

Can someone explain to me how the tiered appearances work for the classes? Does this mean that each piece of gear fits in a certain 'tier' and looks the same as other pieces in the same tier?

From what I can gather, an "iron breastplate" would look different between each class. Let's assume that it is a "Tier 1" item. Can I differentiate it between another "Tier 1" item?

11. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

A tier refers to a "set" of items unified by a visual theme and relative base power. For example, in Diablo 2, Leather Gloves, Leather Armor, Leather Cap, Sash, and Leatehr boots would be "Tier 1."

Base items that went into the Sigons set (basically all plated) would be Tier 5 or something like that.

There is only 1 tier x chest armor visual per class, and same for other slots. So what they are effectively saying is, there are 18 base armor piece types per slot which have unique visual icon and model depending on class.

There can still be multiple unique items within a tier x slot, though. Their difference would probably be expressed in a color difference, maybe some shiny GFX, and maybe even a texture difference if we are lucky.

12. FletVictus

FletVictus Diabloii.Net Member

I actually love how the barbarian armor looks, best kind of 'tank' armor I've ever seen, its so ridiculously beefed in the upper body portion it's sick. The moving witchdoctor armor blew me away tho, hopeing for more animated armors, I forsee glowy wizard armor.

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i think this about sums it up. i am sure unique items will have unique looks otherwise end game everyone looks the same with in a class, cept for dye color. best part about the armor is you never go back in D3. talking in the chat this weekend general idea was tiers 1-9 are in normal 10-15 in nm and 16-18 in hell, so a 9-6-3 approach. another popular thought was 7-6-5

14. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

Won't this result in classes of roughly the same power level looking relatively similar? Of course, dyes will alleviate this somewhat. Probably nothing to worry about, I'm just curious how it will turn out.

15. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

No, since the armor changes appearance depending on which class is wearing it. If you've played Torchlight, you probably already know I mean.

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

without dyes all male barbs wearing level 18 armor will look the same. dyes will change it a bit but more will go black i am sure so pick different colors. for me i am going green cause green = celtics so yeah

17. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, they will. There are 2 things that worry me about this system of tiers:
    1. Matching items from different tiers will probably end up looking like crap.
    2. They will end up putting the super-duper best crafts/rares/legendaries on max tier items, leading to maxed out characters looking basically the same outside dyes.

I am really hoping that the "best" items will be from tiers 14-18 rather than just stuck in last tier. Lower level items might not have as great base stats (armor, whatever), but they might have some other mods that make them really, really useful and real alternatives to tier 18 stuff.

18. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think we know that a lvl 18 tier chestpiece is considered a better armor than for example a lvl 15 one. At some tier level the changes might become purely aesthetic. In fact, it would be disappointing if this wasn't the case. If tiers keep getting better as you advance on hell difficulty, will everyone do runs/quests in act 4? Hopefully the end game makes us travel all over Sanctuary with the chance of getting items of equal quality everywhere. The problem is you'll probably be about lvl 50 when you first start out on hell, and as we all know each level counts a lot more in Diablo 3. I'm looking forward to some clarification on this.

19. themeros

themeros Diabloii.Net Member

I was too amazed by the armors shown! It has exactly the "awesome" feeling that Jay and the crew talk so much about. They really got those ones right! After a few lower level helm disasters, this really turns the table around x)

20. Risingred

So am I. They made a big deal about this during D2 dev, that they didn't want people to look the same.
    I'm hoping they'll be willing to address this once Bashiok gets back to the forums. I'll make a thread about it.