Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Food for my apartment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by djIgneo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Food ideas for the single guy

Yo.
    I'm a single guy and don't particularly like doing extensive cooking for myself, just because it's a lot of work and the enjoyment I get out of the well-cooked food is pale in comparison to the enjoyment I'd have doing other things I feel like doing instead of taking up time cooking and cleaning up afterwards. I can cook some things, and tend to do that moreso when I invite people over for dinner.

I was wondering if the wonderful forum community would have some good ideas for easy-to-fix food to keep around my apartment so I can not do the whole fast-food thing so much. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Oop, something I forgot to mention is I currently don't have a microwave, but should get one shortly. ;)

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Sandwiches/bagel sandwiches/raman noodles/canned stew ("Puritan" i think is the name of it) all day long is my philosophy. My ability to make warm food extends as far as kraft dinner.

3. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

KD, Hot dogs, baloney/spam/corned beef sandwiches, canned ravioli(and varients), canned soups, ichiban, microwave buritos, pizza pockets.

some useful recipes:
    The first recipe:
    1Box kraft dinner
    1 Can of Beans(maple are the best, but pork will do)

seasonings:
    chili powder
    Garlic powder
    black pepper
    seasoning salt

Optional additions:
    Hotdogs
    ground beef.

Recipe #2
    Macaroni noodles(or Kd.....)
    mix with Mushroom soup(or canned pizza/pasta sauce w/hotdogs/ground beef )

grilled cheese hot dogs
    self explanitory....

Instant Mashed potatoes
    quite filling.....Add KD for variety

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Keep some frozen foods on hand...

Sam's Club or Costco probably carry 4-lb bags of Tyson Chicken strips for about 10 bucks... buy some frozen fries to go with. Buy some good beer to drink.

THen... put some strips, some fries on a cookie sheet... cook for 26-30 minutes in the oven and both will be done.

Easy, and nothing beats chicken strips with fries and beer!

5. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Keldaris, when you say "kraft dinner" do you mean mac & cheese? Does KD = Kraft Dinner?

I should invest in Mac & cheese, and frozen chicken and fries, those are fantastic ideas! (Beer to go with it.)

-.-; I need to get a cookie sheet...and a spatula. Gosh! I never think of these things BEFOREHAND.

6. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

Yes Kraft dinner is a Brand of "mac & Cheese" and yes KD= Kraft dinner.

7. Undisputed Ruler of All

Undisputed Ruler of All IncGamers Member

Ack! You poor, poor guy! Actually listening to them talk about their gross bachelor food!!! Well, the frozen stuff isn't bad... The easiest stuff to make is boneless skinless chicken breasts. Just heat up the frying pan, throw in a bit of butter, put yer spices on, throw the chicken in, fry the hell out of it. It's completely moron proof.
    Canned soup
    frozen veggies
    tater tots
    ichiban
    mac & cheese (if yer into gross stuff like that)
    stir fries are simple and easy to make. If you don't have one, I suggest that you get yourself a wok.
    And rice is also a good last ditch lazy bachelor food to make, 'cause it's easy, and the stuff lasts forever.

My suggestion, however, is that you get a girlfriend. It'll save you a lot of trouble, provided that you can find someone who likes you, and if you're smooth enough that she'll still like you after a long time....

8. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Hehe, I was wondering if that was going to come up.

I do have a girlfriend, but she doesn't live with me. She lives about 1hr and 15 minutes away =(. We only see each other on weekends (she's a college student and lives with her parents yet).

Perhaps I should look into getting married....

9. Undisputed Ruler of All

Undisputed Ruler of All IncGamers Member

Or you could suffer until your girlfriend gets out of college, and then get her to move in with you. Or get a house, and she might anyway.

10. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

Get a George Forman grill. I think there are versions out there that have dishwasher safe grilling surfaces. Then all you have to do is buy different rubs and marinades and you can cook up just about any sort of meat a bachelor would want. Round it out with some boiled potatoes and some salad from a bag. Grilled meat on salad by itself actually isn't too bad, either.

You can also learn to use your broiler and cook your meat on foil lined cookie sheets. Then you just have to throw away the foil instead of actually cleaning anything. If you marinade a flank steak overnight, broil it for 8 minutes per side, let it rest for 5 minutes and then cut it against the grain you'll have meat to eat for a couple of days.

Baked potatoes may take a while to cook, but they're insanely easy. Just poke a potato with a fork a few times and stick it in a 350 degree F oven for an hour or so. Top it with some sort of canned dinner (chili, ravioli, beef-a-rino, etc.) if you want to get fancy. Have some bagged salad if you want to pretend to be healthy, too.

Those Boboli pizza crusts are really good too. If you use one of those, some "Pizza Squeeze" pizza sauce, some pre packaged shredded cheese and whatever topping you want you can make a pizza that's way better than a frozen pizza in the same amount of time. You can end up with left overs here, too.

Once you get good at grilling the meat, most of that stuff isn't that much harder and doesn't take that much longer than making mac and cheese or a frozen pizza. You can always just grill some meat and have it with a side of mac and cheese (or other "Pasta Side" or Rice-a-Roni deal). It won't take that much longer to make two meals than one so you can have left overs the next day.

11. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

I hear they like paint

Without talking to your apartment, I have no idea what foods it would like.

I would suggest macaroni and cheese, soups, and Hot Pockets. They are easy to make and not-all-together unnutritious.

12. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

How about grilling out? A small charcoal grill isn't too expensive, and you can make some good stuff. Hamburgers, steaks, chicken breasts, fish, wieners, bratwurst, etc. Or even kebabs if you're feeling crazy.

13. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Pasta! Easy and tasty...

I just fry up some bacon or some sausages and pour some pasta sause over it all.

KnightFall

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I'd have to carry my small charcoal grill outside, Osc...either that or open my window, lol.

I'm thinking about getting one of those stove-top grill pans perhaps...or just get a real grill >.<

edit: I don't have a patio, so I'd have to walk through the community hall and outside next to the road in order to grill out...it'd make it slightly wierd.

15. spiritgloam

spiritgloam IncGamers Member

cheese eggs bread tortillas canned soup etc etc. and get used to using the stove my friend hell with that stuff i just mentioned you can eat good for a week or so

16. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

tortillas and eggs! yes i forgot about that. I'm not against using the stove, i'm just against doing a lot of work cooking for just me. If i had people over I'd be happy to cook up a good dinner.

17. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

http://www.recipezaar.com/

Easy, tasty food.

GF grill is good as well. Someone mentioned that already.

Convience foods are easy, but can be pricey. Do a search for you favorite foods and just make it. A microwave TV dinner is just as expensive as a home cooked meal. With the homecooked, you can have leftovers that you can freeze and eat later.

Oh, and please don't rely on the gal to cook for you. It only breeds resentment. Pull your own weight.

18. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

frozen food is always the best answer IMO
    34 chars :lol:

19. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

LoL, Zodiac. I've cooked for my g/f several times, but she hasn't cooked for me yet. Don't worry I'm not like that. :D

20. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Tuna fish. :D