Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FoH Pally and CM

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Hello guys,

since I finished my last Mat, I decided I want to have pure FoH pally as my next character.

I plan on having 20 FoH, 20 Holy Bolt (gotta love killing undeads), 20 Holy Shock and enough points in Conviction to reach the max -150% resist, rest points to Holy Shield.

But I would like to know if there is any point in making Crescent Moon for the pally for -35% lightning resist or if it would go wasted? IIRC for LI enemies the conviction only works at 1/5 effectiveness so if it managed to break the immunity, CM should help quite a lot, so I should at least have CM on switch right? But what about those non LI's? Is there any point for further -35% or not?

If not, what would be a better weapon for him?

2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

-150% at Conviction level 25. At FoH level 30 you are only doing 3000 or so points of Lightning damage (plus the Holy Bolt damage) even with HS maxed, and the 1 second cast delay is a right royal pain.

Edit: Corrected, I got my numbers a bit muddled.

I use a FoH pally with -150% resists as a Pindle runner and it isn't anywhere need as good as I thought it would be.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. Ergroilnin

Is it? I see -150% for lvl 25 everywhere. Did something change? Is it -125 max in 1.12? o_O.

Yeah I dont mind that, I had FoH pally on bnet long time ago and loved it.

EDIT:

Oh I see. Well I still want to make him, I love the concept, I have massive AoE killers for other characters so I can deal with this for my own style points :p

So back to the question, what is best weapon for this sucky pala? :D

4. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

One of these?

Hand of Blessed Light
    Divine Scepter
    One Hand Damage: 59 - 138
    Durability: 55 of 70
    Required Level: 42
    Required Strength: 103
    Fingerprint: 0xbcf1d14
    Item Level: 59
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    5% Chance to cast level 4 Fist of the Heavens on striking
    +2 to Paladin Skill Levels
    145% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 20 - 45 Damage
    100% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +150% Damage to Undead
    +2 to Fist of the Heavens (Paladin Only)
    +4 to Holy Bolt (Paladin Only)
    +50 Defense
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    +4 to Light Radius

5. Ergroilnin

Oh man that one would be sweet, unfortunately I don't have it at least yet. I guess I should list weapons I do have:

Spirit Crystal Sword
    Heaven's Light
    Pul, Um, Mal, Ist runes, one of each. With that Um I could make Crescent Moon after I find 3 os Phase Blade.

So I guess for now Spirit is obvious choice, untill I find better unique/shop nice FoH stick/Find some +FoH/Conviction slotted stick for some nice RW.

Still I would like to know if CM actually does help for enemies with broken immunity or if it would be a waste of my only Um.

6. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

FoH just doesn't cut it in PvM. Even with maxed out really good equipment its pretty sucky. So I think if you're wondering about 'wasting' an Um to try it out, you're probably asking the wrong question.

CM does actually reduce broken immunity by the way, which is useful for teslot and some other builds.

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

CM works, or alternatively some high res/skill/fcr thing for those who teleport.

I think CM is your best choice.

FoH is slow again ~1/2 of the monsters in the game, but in undead areas it really shines.. even the LI ones like in the mausoleum.

Here's my first one (dead) that used standard 1.13 gear:

With time-travel gear they become significantly stronger and safer, but I guess you're not doing that

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

FoH seems to work fine. Not the fastest killer all around, but still looks pretty cool. There's a lot of dislike for underpowered builds, but they also have great style points, and with everything that's been done around here... Skill-less builds, naked builds, passive builds, there shouldn't be any build that's off limits. It's all about what you find enjoyable, and I love the style points in underpowered builds.

IIRC, Once Conviction has broken an immunity, other sources of -resists come into play, so the -eLR from Crescent Moon should work after Conviction has already broken the immunity.
    That said, Crescent Moon is a greaet Holy Shockadin weapon as well, so it isn't a waste. It's also a solid budget weapon for a few other characters - yes, there are better options, but it's still a solid item until others become available. You'll also be able to get back an Um pretty quickly, especially with a decent NM/Hell Hellforge.

9. Ergroilnin

Well I don't want to make yet another thread so I may as well keep asking in this one when it comes to FoH I guess...

My FoH pally is now in act 5 soon to be in NM, he is lvl 41 (p8 and killing everything I see) and he is doing very nicely so far. But there is one thing I would like to do. Atm my merc is using Insight obviously but I kind of wanna put an Obedience on him for that gigantic damage + enchant nicely synerging with my conv aura but then I would have mana problems I guess. Is there any relatively easy solution to this other than chugging tons of mana pots all the time?

ATM pally is using: Peasant Crown, Spirit crystal sword, Spirit rondache @38, Skin of Vipermagi, Eye of Etlich, String of Ears, Magefist, Nagelring, Manald Heal and Sander's set boots.

10. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

FYI a holy bolt pally vs pindle is a sight to behold .. it takes a while to to hell, but doing 8K or more per bolt is a lot of fun

11. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

use redemption periodically :D

my FoHer does ~13k (15k?) holy bolt dmg :p

12. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

nice one. I can't remember exact numbers but I have one character who specializes with holy bolt, another who specializes with FoH/conviction.

I have a thing about trying to make EVERY variant of a character worth playing excluding underpowered ones.