Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FO killing power

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Wolfedude, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

FO killing power

I have recently built a FO sorceress. For reasons unknown to myself I placed about 8 points into Static Field. But I have managed to max out FO(level 25 w/ items) and Mastery(level 21 w/ items). I have 1 point in ES & several in Telekenesis. I want to use her to make magic find runs in the crypt, mauseleum, catacombs and the durance.
    My question is: should I max out cold mastery? Or should I max out telekenesis? Or should I develop a second skill and raise up Chain Lightning and lightning mastery?
    Right now I am not killing too fast in act 5 nightmare and hope that raising cold mastery might help some. By the way, this is hardcore.

2. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

Raising telekenesis isn't going to help you kill anything, but it'll keep you alive for sure =D

Try and get some more + skill items. Since you have 8 in static, try to static monsters before you orb them.

If you're going orb only...might want to max its synergy for good measure, since it is your main attack skill.

3. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

if its Orb only..maybe u can branch into the CL/FO built if its not too late?it will give u far better versatility without really reducing the killing power with decently maxed masteries in both trees.. :buddies:

4. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Just think about what the 7 of the 8 skill points in static field will do for you? :scratch:

5. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Most people don't max Cold Mastery since only 45% of all monsters in hell have any sort of cold resistance. Of those 45% a good portion of them are immuned. Since -resists are capped at -100% raising your cold mastery above 17 with +skills affect fewer and fewer monsters. It's usually better to go for the synergy at that point.

Other than that look at the Meteorb and the CL/FO guides. The way that I read them is that if you're starting out and you're poor go Meteorb. If you're rich then go CL/FO. The two factors are that you'll need more mana and faster cast rate for Chain lightning to rip through baddies faster than Meteor.

6. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Well think of it this way, you spent 7 precious points to get a few yards of range. O yes I need to ask this question b/c its been stuck with me for a while.
    Does E-shield still work with its telekenisis bonus when you are activating it with a +energy shield staff.
    Meaning that I dont put anypoints into e-shield and just activate it with my +eshield orb. (but i do max out telekenisis)

Yes it is a pvp creation of mine, no she isnt even half complete after i realized the great error i made on my last sorc. (too much str, too much dex, not enough life.)

7. royalesse

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, but... mind the ES duration, and is spending 20pts on TK worth the minor absorbtion that you'll get with a low / mid lvl ES

8. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

I would think you'll need to work toward something resembling a CL/FO build. At least with that Static field, you can work down the big boys from a great distance (see me trying to make you feel better? :uhhuh:) You'll want to be able to do some lightning damage for the cold immunes you come across. And the max FO and 21 mastery should be more than enough to get you through on that end. Good luck.

9. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I use a 20 FO/20 CM/20 Ice Bolt/15 Static/10 Warmth Sorc for my mfing

Not the best built but it was after I commited to FO that I realized the problems to I just continued it the way it is.

I love being able to static and hit the whole screen of cows and be safe when staticing meph.

10. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Putting 20 pts in icebolt gives a large increase in orb's killing power. People who say the icebolt synergy is a waste of points haven't actually tried both imo. Can you kill without it, yes, just slower. With that said, personally I hate using a single tree sorc. Full orb + firewall worked well for me. I play hc now, so when my full orb/firewall sorc died recently, I went with full orb/hydra for my re-build. If I can't chill them with orb, I back away and kill from a distance with hydras. An unsynergized hydra kills rather slowly, but it is definitly hell viable. The display dammage is decieving. To get dammage per second, multiply it by 12 (for having laid 4 hydras down) and it looks a lot more respectable. If killing speed > safety for you (as it is for 80% of battle net), then I would go firewall for sure. It's my impression that firewall gives the best dammage for a low investment (aside from orb).

The reason I lean towars cold/fire over cold/lightning is that with static (+merc), you can cover all 3 bases for the lowest investment.

I'm not saying my way is the ultimate or anything, I am just a huge orb fan. Slowing almost the whole screen by 50% while doing fantastic dammage (with 20 in icebolt) is hard to top. And the casting timer is really rather short so it's easy to deal with threats comming from different directions. There really is no best spell, it's all according to taste. But if I had to name one, it would definitly be Frozen Orb, so why not get the most out of it.

By the way, I designed this full orb/hydra sorc to safely mf the hell mausoleum. In my testing with a character editor, I was able to safely complete 10 runs at level 80 completely naked. That means with no + to skills, -100 resists etc. Whole crowds of monsters would be killed in 2-3 casts. With gear on it would be a joke.

11. royalesse

Have you tried a Holy freeze merc with Reapers Toll? Supposedly all the slows are counted so the baddies for the most part just stand there.

Also, ditto on the FO Synergy... It's not un-realistic to get 3-4 shards to hit. If you have maxed synergy (+40%) you can think of it as: +40% per shard, x3 shards = +120% ... or you land an extra 1.2 shards. Not impressive but decent. If you're good at aiming and distancing and you can get the 16 explosion to land on top of someone then: +40% x 16 shards = 640% or it's like you landed 22.4 shards on someone. That's probably what they had in mind when they made the synergy low to start.

12. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

I've only just started hc ladder, so no reaper's toll yet. The slows do add up though. In the past I've used cold chill + decrepify + clay golem slow. Pretty amazing! My last sorc had a holy freeze merc using kelpie snare (75% slow), with my frozen orb. Baal was absolutely no threat at all :)

I don't think the math works quite the way you said, but you're right, with lots of shards hitting, the dammage goes through the roof. And I find it very easy to aim it so that it lands on monsters once they get slowed (whether by a shard or by holy freeze).

13. royalesse

Hehe... I'll admit english isn't an exact language and there's goofy math behavior in my explanation (kinda like calcuating bonuses on summons for a Druid). It works like that but it probably doesn't work the way you would read it :scratch: