Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Flying cars within three years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kore, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

Flying cars within three years

linked

Or so they say, but I want it now.

Also it's going to run on booze which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned.

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.

3. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

As good as this sounds (I want 3), there's so many laws they'll need to change/make and pass that this probably won't happen for at least 10 years. :hanky:

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

You mean you don't already have one?

Seriously though, for people to drive these things everyone will need piloiting lisences.

5. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

People have a hard enough time driving on the road, I don't even want imagine what mass air travel would be like.

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

It's a good idea on paper, but it has no basis in reality. The current airspace structure and rules of aviation are quite complex and, at minimum, anyone considering flying this "car" would have to be as familiar with them all at least as well as a private pilot, and if the owner intends to fly in poor weather, he/she will also need a thorough understanding of the air traffic control system, procedures, technique, etc... as well as being able to fly without seeing the ground. In essence they would require an instrument rating. It takes most pilots 150 hours of flight time and countless hours of book study to get enough training to be deemed competent by the FAA to fly in the clouds, and even with that 150 hours, I feel they are still too green to be safe.

They may be able to take off and land from their driveway, but chances are the airspace directly overhead is under the jurisdiction of the FAA and once they are in it, it's a pilot's world. it's not for a car driver pretending to be an airplane. I propose that if the company intends to sell these, they require the end user(s) to possess the appropriate pilots licenses, or else aquire training for them before taking delivery. I would also support a modified program whereby special licenses could be issued for people who fly JUST this "car". THey would only have to learn the essentials of aviation that pertain to the operation of the flying car. THey would still be unable to fly standard planes, copters, balloons, gliders, etc. but they'd have the knowledge needed to be safe and in compliance with the FAA procedure, while at the same time not posing an undue risk to the aviation community.

But reality aside, it DOES look cool. But I wonder how loud that little sucker is?

7. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

You can d/l some hover test videos to see how loud it is.

Oh, and they want it controlled by the computer, so there are no human pilots in the cities.

Qouting from the FAQ:

8. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Well, if controlled by computer, why not have all the cars moving at close to top speed?

9. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

Because if they're running Windows, you can expect to crash hard, and frequently :lol: [/windows joke]

Really though, if they're all controlled by computers, it's just a matter of time before Skynet becomes self aware :surprise:

10. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Only crashes if they are running Windows ME.

And I thought I was the only who always made skynet remarks, in reference to computers becoming more independent.

11. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Yah..I actually saw these a few years back, they're pretty bad-*** looking.. even if i couldn't fly it, i'd just hover in my driveway to look like a bad-*** =D

12. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Now that you mention just hovering in your driveway, this could potentially make a sniper much harder to find. Such as the D.C. sniper was hard to find, but he wasn't in a flying car was he?

13. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Actually it would make them easier to find. In a car you have complete freedom of mobility and there's almost no means of surveillance or route checking.

In a computer controlled hovercar environment, you're going to be in a set route and the computers will be able to tell us exactly what cars were in that general area at the time shots were fired and exactly where each of them came from and went.

I'm also assuming there would be no stopping mid-air, so you'd probably only get to take moving shots as a hovercar sniper. You wouldn't get to spend two minutes lining up on somebody pumping gas, for example.

14. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Good Point

15. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

damnit! beat me to the punch! :rant:

and just cause it looks wierd :cheesy:

16. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Wow... if I ever saw a disaster waiting to happen...

I hope this company goes out of business before they get those things on the market.

17. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

Aw, c'mon guys! It looked easy enough to drive flying cars in "Fifth Element!" Why should I have problems doing it? :uhhuh:

18. ItsaMeMario

ItsaMeMario IncGamers Member

I heard about this about 4 years ago, and the fact that the Military was already sending out requests for the Skycar. I found the prime companies that were putting effort into the Skycar for royalties and purchased stock in all of them, you'd be suprised how cheap it was, no more then 1.30 a share, as soon as this is released, I plan to make bank.

19. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

running on booze is not a plus, hell I hate sharing my good stuff with my wife, I really dont want to share it with my car too!

*screams at wife* BYOB, BYOBBBB!!!!!!1one!!1

20. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

Old news. There have been plane/car designs in the past, and every one of them has been a commercial failure. Take a look at the half million price tag and the massive increase in (at least initially) getting a license for it, and you've got a nice rich man's toy, but nothing more.