Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Flip-flopping Dems a threat to US security

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DurfBarian, Oct 11, 2006.

?

What Diablo III do you wanna play?

1. 0$

68 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. 5$

13 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. 10$

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. 15$

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Flip-flopping Dems a threat to US security

Here are the facts.

FACT: America is at war with terrorism.

FACT: America must defend its borders.

FACT: One way to do this is with a network of surveillance equipment (motion sensors, infrared cameras) along those borders.

So we're going about that important task, but now we learn that it's more difficult than originally thought . . . because we can't find the border in all those dense trees.
    Well, you guessed it, a Democrat is to blame for this. We once had a chance to head this problem off before it even began, and a Democrat promised to do just that . . . but once he was elected, he totally forgot that promise and negotiated with foreign powers to wreck America's chances for security.

I'm talking of course about James K. Polk. In the presidential election campaign he talked a mean game about "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight," a move that would have put the northern boundary of America's lower 48 way up in the treeless tundra area, where it would be much easier to keep track of.

Once elected, though, he negotiated with the British--who, I might remind you, live very near to the French--and had the border set at its present position, the foliage-infested 49-degree mark.

Just another blot of flip-flopping shame on the Democrats' record. Is anyone surprised at their shenanigans at this point?

2. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Easy answer. Just tell the pulp mills and paper companies that there are a bunch of trees up there and the problem will be non-existant in 20 years.

3. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

So the dems are at fault for destroying the environment?

4. DurfBarian

No, they're at fault for not allowing the companies to do away with those pesky trees. Just ask Ronald "seen one tree, you've seen 'em all" Reagan.

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, the northern states could have certainly used the additional tourism...

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Is it easier or harder for a terrorist to get into Canada than into the U.S.?

See, I always thought "if you've seen one logging company, you've seen them all".

7. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Actually, our (Canada's) forests are LARGER now, than they were 100 years ago, or so I've heard, thanks to the fact that we have this little things called "tree farms". Rather than chewing up our natural forests, we chew up our man-made forests. It's a nice deal.

Depends on your nationality. As a Canadian, I've never had any trouble getting into Canada, but when I head down to the states I get 100 degrees of interrogation if I'm carrying too much, or too little - and I haven't yet figured out where that line is, despite a fair amount of cross-border activity.

My ex was American, and she got much the same treatment coming into Canada, held everyone up while they searched through every last thing she had with her. Which was a little embarassing, but eh..

However, you can cross the border by plane and practically no one bats an eyelash, so long as you aren't carrying nail clippers or a bottle of water... If you keep the so-called "sensitive materials" in your checked bags, crossing the border is the easiest thing in the world. Much, MUCH easier than by bus.

Now! As for the OP... I can see a lot of people raising a big stink about this whole "clear a swath of forest" idea. It'll be seen as a small bite, that will be followed by a larger bite, that will eventually cut into our forests, which Canadians don't want. Plus there's the whole idea of how remote those locations must be, if they're THAT covered in plant life that you can't tell where the border is at all. But ultimately, the biggest thing will be - WHY? If they're so far out of the way, no one is going to go there to cross the border... wild forests are dangerous places. There is little reason for us to worry about the Canada-US border anyway, I mean hell, it hasn't stopped you guys from infecting us with your culture so far... :laugh:

I'm a strong proponent of taking down the border entirely, although I can't see a way to do that while still remaining two separate nations... and I don't really want to deal with the headache of amalgamating them together. We each have huge swaths of political morons to deal with, we don't need even more. I would, however, like to see something implemented that will give each and every citizen of the United States and Canada a passport built into their birth certificate, and turn the border into nothing but a formality. It'd save us both money, time, and hassle, it would make businesses happier, and the only problem is that the States would have no real reason to build missile batteries along that border - but seriously, we're freaking CANADA. What do they expect to blow out of the air, angry letters?

8. DurfBarian

Your country is home to dangerous critters. Including the majestic møøse.

A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

9. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I'd think getting into Canada itself would be easier than crossing the border in the middle of the giant forest. But then again, the pot smugglers don't seem to be having a problem.

10. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Incidentally - now that my father is in the bushes hunting elks, this is pretty temporally close topic - a møøse would be more fitting a name in the sense of being more onomatopoetic, which is the origin for the name of many a woodland critter.

11. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I knew it! Damned Democrats! GRRR

12. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

G.W. Bush made him do it! :tongue:

13. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I knew it! Damned GW Bush! GRRR

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, but they don't have a problem getting into America either.