Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fleshing out a new tournament. I need your help!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wakiki, May 11, 2008.

1. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Fleshing out a new tournament. I need your help!

NOTE: This tournament has not started.

Hello everyone! Perhaps you remember my tournament ideas thread? Well, I've settled on the Fighter Mage idea. These are the rules that I've come up with but I definitely have some difficult decisions. I'd like some input!

Skill Restrictions
    • Allowed skills: may be used any time
    • Disallowed skills: these may be used if you have no more than one hard point in them.
      Example: An Enchantress may put 1 point into Hydra to scout.
    • You may add points into disallowed skills for synergy purporses, but once you put 2 hard points in, you may no longer use that skill in combat. Remember to take it off your hotkeys!

Allowed Skills

Amazon: Power Strike, Charged Strike, Lightning Strike, the entire Passive and Magic tree.

Issues: Hmmm...do you guys think that the Cold and Fire bow skills seem fighter-mageish? One one hand, you are using a physical attack enhanced by elemental damage, but "fighter-mage" tends to imply melee fighting. Also, do you think I shouldn't allow Valkyrie to be maxed?

Assassin: The entire Shadow Masteries tree, Fists of Fire, Claws of Thunder, Blades of Ice, Phoenix Strike

Issues: Ahhh, this is difficult. See, Phoenix Strike + the other elemental Martial Arts skills seem like the quintessential Fihgter-Mage, but I hate it 'cause I'm trying to avoid cookie cutter characters. I mean, tournaments are supposed to be hard, right?

Necromancer: Golem Mastery, Summon Resist, Bone Armor, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, the entire Curses tree.

Issues: Not any big ones here. I considered disallowing even 1 point in Corpse Explosion, but these guys will probably be plenty underpowered without summons or poison/bone spells.

Barbarian: Not Allowed

Issues: Sorry Barb fans, but I can't think of a way these characters can participate. Sure, Berserk may deal elemental damage, but it doesn't feel Mage-like at all. And it's still based off of physical weapon damage.

Paladin: Not Allowed

Issues: Same as above...the Fire, Freeze, and Shock auras aren't Mage-like either.

Sorceress: Frozen Armor, Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Static Field, Thunderstorm, Telekenesis, Teleport, Energy Shield, Warmth, Enchant, Cold Mastery, Lightning Mastery, Fire Mastery

Issues: Nah, this one's easy. Enchantresses are no doubt the "quintessential" fighter-magi. I could allow Blaze. I could also disallow Thunderstorm. What do you think?

Druid: Cyclone Armor, Hurricane, Armageddon

Issues: Druids must fight with melee weapons. This one's fairly resrictive, but note that you can have a beefy Bear by maxing Dire Wolves (you just can't use the wolves once you start synergizig your Bear). I kinda like the idea of a Druid wacking enemies with a club with Ice or Fire swirling around him.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Re: Fleshing out a new tournament. I need your help!

Sounds interesting and fun.

A few things though, with the necromancer what is the point of allowing golem mastery if we are not allowed golems? or am i missing something?.

And also i think this tournament will be very one note, as in there wont be much variation between the characters and especially now that you have "banned" barbs and pallys.

3. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Well, if you wanted to make a nice Iron Golem, you could put 1 point into it and max mastery so it will live longer. Most Fishymancers don't put more than 1 point into Iron Golem. Also, Fire and Clay Golems are fine utility skills. (I wouldn't get extra mastery for them though)

I could actually allow all golem skills, and hope that the Necromancers will grab an axe and fight alongside them.

Yeah, it's a tough balancing act. I'm trying to allow as many builds as I can, but I have to make sure people are playing real Fighter Mages. Basically, the builds available are: Melee Lightning Zon, Tankazon, Phoenix Striker (3+ variations), Blade Furysin, pure Shadowsin, Meleemancer (many, many variations), Enchantress (some variations), Lightning Sorc, Armageddon Druid, Hurricane / Cyclone Armor Druid. That's 10 basic builds, and some of them are quite customizable.

Oooo, I just realized that I forgot about conversion for Pallies. Hmm...Mind Controlling the monsters does seem like a Fighter-Mage. I can't think of any other skills to allow though.

4. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Yeh i understand you Wakiki, and now that you have given me a few variations i think it should be a well spread out tournament.

And just for clarification....

Are these the skills we can only invest more than 1 point in? and the ones you did not name are the disallowed skills? (thus meaning we can use them as long as we don't place 2 hard points into them?).

Other than that i am very interested, would be good to see the other rules as well ex, HC?, Untwinked, ATMA?, gear, merc, stat limitations? etc etc etc.....

5. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Conversion, Vengeance, Holy Bolt, and Holy Shield could all work for a fighter-mage build. They're all magicky, combat-type skills, and you could limit the auras to the Prayer side of the tree (possibly allow Redemption as well, but I don't know). This would prevent the more cookie-cutter hammerdin- err, paladin- builds, such as Zeal + Fanaticism, Vengeance + Conviction, Blessed Cheese + Concentration, etc.

6. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Yep agree with pharaoh, holy bolt, holy shield, conversion and vengence seems like good skills to allow and they follow a fighter mage style (sort of).

I also agree about the limiting aura's, i like the idea about only allowing the prayer side of the tree. I feel it fits the theme and will stop people from going with the usual cookie cutter builds.

7. mwille

mwille IncGamers Member

If you want to allow Barbs, you could limit them to wands only like in the Cow King tourney a while back. The physical damage is small, but you can get some pretty good elemental damage on wands. I got my "drummer" barb to kill the /p8 King in NM (the tourney's goal) using double swing & frenzy. Of course whirlwind would work as well if you had the mana for it.

If you think the assassin will be too easy, take away the shadow tree so that ALL she relies on are her fighter mage skills.

8. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Very, very interesting thoughts folks. I'm glad I made this thread before starting the tournament!

I will definitely use the Paladin idea. As for the elemental Frenzier, I had thought of it, but it still doesn't seem mage-like enough. I also considered a Warcry barb...but it's still bleh. And mixing the two doesn't sound like it would work.

Ooo, that's a really interesting Assassin idea. It would still let people put one point into BoS, Fade, etc. for utility purposes, while forcing people to spend tons of points into elemental stuff. I might use it, although I'd like to know what some other people think first.

9. mwille

mwille IncGamers Member

Another idea for the barb is to allow only 1 point in combat skills & ONLY items that have %chance to cast spells on attack/striking or when hit, and possibly charges on items as well. I think that would fit in quite nicely, especially if you ban %chance for amplify damage & decrepify.

10. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Agreed.....good idea.

I cant wait for this tourney to be made, i have a build that i have been etching to try out for ages, but there hasn't been an appropriate tournament for me to attempt it yet. However this tournament looks like the right time to give it a go :grin:.

Cmon Wakiki make an official thread already.......:tongue:.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I will probably not participate, but it seems like very interesting tournament.

Comments/suggestions:
    why not allow poison dagger to necros?
    what about fire claws for druids?

Phoenix strike isn't cookie-cutter imho. Definitly less cookie-cutter than Charged Strike IMHO. And it fits the idea perfectly.
    what about dragon tail and dragon flight?

12. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

Sound very interesting!

fist of heavens for palas? maybe with some restriction of the other skills, but i feel that it definately qualifies as a 'mage'-like skill (maybe more priest), i mean c'mon!

And i agree about dragon flight.

peace!

13. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

I have considered this as well, but I believe that it is impractical, since CTC items are pretty much worthless.

Lol, actually I'm planning on starting it this Friday. I prefer to start tournaments closer to the weekend so that people can get to a solid start right away.

I don't consider poison to be mage-like.

I completely forgot about Fire Claws. I meant to bring them up earlier. I think I will allow them, so the druids have more options. I also plan to allow the Oak, Wolverine, and Thorns summons to be leveled up. I melee Hurricane Druid definitely needs some AR...

Dtail and Dflight are physical based, so I'm not comfortable letting people max them, but they would be fine as 1-point-wonders.

The problem is that a FoH Pally is a plain 'ole mage. It's long range, and has no physical component.

14. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Awesome....looking forward to it, considering i have a day off school i should have quite abit of spare time that i can invest on playing D2 :grin:.