Flash Drive D2

BlueOctoberFan

Diabloii.Net Member
Flash Drive D2

Just wondering... If I get, say, a 4GB flash drive, could I install D2 on there, and just take that and a CD, and play on any computer? Has anyone tried this? It seems to make sense to me that it would work...

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
BlueOctoberFan said:
Just wondering... If I get, say, a 4GB flash drive, could I install D2 on there, and just take that and a CD, and play on any computer? Has anyone tried this? It seems to make sense to me that it would work...
Hmmm... I'm not sure if it would work, but I'm really not sure if this is against forum rules?

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no idea why this would be against the rules.

There was a thread about this a few months ago. Someone wanted to play D2 at work via their flash drive. Some people raised concerns that it would be very slow. I don't think he ever told us if he did it or not.

Inokis

Diabloii.Net Member
I've only got a 512 mb flash drive or else I'd try it. I don't see why it shouldn't. USB should transfer data fast enough.

antirush

Diabloii.Net Member
USB 2.0 has a theoretical 480mb/s which should be more than enough for diablo to be playable. It makes no essential registry entries so there should be no problem playing from a flash drive

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
i have never seen any usb 2.0 devices xfer stuff above 12mb/s
firewire drives would be limited by the mobo or other system properties instead of the 400mb/s xfer rate

antirush

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm using a usb 2.0 external harddrive that's working exponentially better than 12mb/s. It's not 480 of course, that's just the optimal maximum but it's certainly fast enough for a purpose such as this. Firewire400 has about the same bandwidth as usb 2.0 - firewire800 which is still predominantly on macs has, as it would seem an 800mb/s maximum.