Flamespike the Crawler

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
Flamespike the Crawler

I remember pre 1.10 there was always this superunique quill rat at the outer cloister but it seems to have disappeared in the new patch. Is this deliberate?

I think you refer to the one in the Inner Cloister but they removed him.

It was a tough monster though specially in NM and Hell.

DX

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
You're right, I meant the inner cloister :eek: . Why was it dangerous? The boss pack is similar to Coldcrow in that it's full of strong ranged units but Coldcrow can still be found in the Cave. Is it because of melee character problems?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Flamespike the Crawler. I miss that boss sometimes. It was always FE + Cursed, and could be a real terror in Hell.

NeckRomancer

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC Flamespike was removed in 1.05 in classic. BNet players were complaining about him since he could kill them while their screens were loading as they materialized in the inner cloister from the WP.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
That guy would be incredibly brutal in 1.10. FE, Cursed, strong ranged attack, and throw in a high level thorns inherent on Quill Rats as well. And he guards the WP... he'd destroy every melee char that came through there!

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess Blizzard figured that the regular quill rats were strong enough to pwn most chars so there was no need for him. After all, who here has not seen the message "XXX was owned by a quill rat" when they first step out of the Rogue Encampment in Hell mode :D

--T

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the programmers can't control where they spawn flamespike. Before 1.10 I've had characters take on flamespike on the narrow corridors when emerging from the jail. However I believe there's a set chance that flamespike spawns on top of the waypoint meaning death for almost all characters barring those with PDR and huge vitality. My characters have been killed by flamespike at times when I decide to enter the cathedral in a new game via the inner cloister.