Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Flail?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Sagex, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Sagex

Sagex IncGamers Member

Flail?

Im Curious, why is there such a high demand for flails? Is it so people can socket it with max dmg jewels? or to make Runewords?

2. sjw7

sjw7 IncGamers Member

you can use 4 socket flails to make a Hoto. It has low strenght requirements and the eth ones are the ones that are really in demand.

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

The first thing is correct, but why would ANYONE want to make Hoto into an ethreal flail? Using a flail means you aren't going to use it to bash monsters anyway, so ethreal has somewhere between 0 and no advantage. And if you accidentally hit a monster... eventually the thing will break and then it's gone.

And, of course... ethreal = no repairs = no recharging of the charges.

4. sjw7

sjw7 IncGamers Member

Good point about the eth bit i realy shouldnt go to the pub before replying to posts.

5. TheGreatDivorce

TheGreatDivorce IncGamers Member

Ethereal things are hawt. People like things that make their characters more distinguished from others, and because it looks better when you hold it. It's not like you're going to be bashin' anything with your HotO now are you?

Looking hawt while kicking ass > not looking hawt and kicking ass.

6. MrDoc

MrDoc IncGamers Member

Yeah what he said ... eth caster weapons= teh sexay

7. Frex

Frex IncGamers Member

Well, what about the charges on it? ;)

Now I realize that not everyone uses the Oak Sage and/or Raven charges (I myself, don't use them), but an ethereal hoto is near useless if you do tend to use the charges.

8. IronCamel

IronCamel IncGamers Member

There's also the small point of Eth items having lower requirements than non eth ones.

9. Megaritis

Megaritis IncGamers Member

I think the recipe with ort and flawed i think can charge them, but not sure.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Recharging: You can't recharge ethereal items by any means, not even with the cube recipe.

Why ethereal: Never hitting things is just the point of selecting an ethereal item for a caster weapon. If you don't have melee skills on your mouse buttons, you will never attack, not even accidentally. That means it doesn't matter which kind of flail you put HotO into.

11. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i just popped into a game called 6bocta4ists....it was a very nice 6 bo cta in a crystal sword but it was red...the guy was trying to trade it for ists saying that it was "bugged"....very expensive weapon to be stabbing monsters with...i wonder how many hits he got in before he broke it?

12. Senor Bezeer

Senor Bezeer IncGamers Member

I happen to have 4soc flail hanging around, but dont plan on making a hoto with it. The damage on flails (or at least the ones ive seen) have not been over 24, so socketing it with something is almost piontless right? Anyways, what would a 4 soc flail be worth, after all people are always looking for the right amount of sockets for runewords.

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

HotO is a caster weapon and you will never hit anything with it, so its damage is irrelevant. The reqs are more important, so it's not a good idea to put it into a knout or a scourge which are the only other weapons into which that runeword can be put, except for 4 socket staves (no orbs), and these are are two-handers BTW.

A 4 socket flail is worth a few gems. They aren't particularly rare and they probably drop all the time in areas with L26-39 monsters, like normal cows.

14. Senor Bezeer

Senor Bezeer IncGamers Member

ok, thats pretty good, I have no use for the flail, and have been looking for some ptopaz so maybe I could trade for them.

15. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

You can get easily a Pul rune for it.

Yes, the item is very common, but many people with enough wealth just want it as fast as possible to make a new hoto, thus overpay.