Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fixing the Ring of Royal Grandeur

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Fixing the Ring of Royal Grandeur

[​IMG]Most players and most builds require a Ring of Royal Grandeur, to give them some flexibility in their gear. A RoRG is awesome when you're gearing up and want to get 2 or 3 or 4 piece bonuses from multiple sets, and it's essential for many end game gear sets when you can gain more benefit from one item not in your six-piece set; Cold DHs want the Pride's Fall helm, fire builds want a Cindercoat, pet builds want Tasker and Theo, etc.

Of course the first thing is to find a RoRG, and since they only drop from Act One caches, (and sometimes from the fully-random Act Four caches) it means a lot of repetitious Act One running. In the old days up to four players would party up to high speed split farm on Normal difficulty. These days players who can handle it farm on T6, for the 100% chance of a legendary from each Cache. And it's not just a one-time thing, even very well geared characters will often put on movement speed boosting eq and spend some time running Act One on T6, looking for a RoRG with a socket, CC, or CD in the one random affix. (Or for an alt; my DH split-farmed 8 in under an hour on T6 this morning, saving them for my new WD to open.)

Farming RoRGs isn't a horrible play mechanic -- I think it's much better now with the T6 100% drop, as opposed to the very cheesy four-way Normal split farming of old -- and you do gather up a lot of needed Rift Keys in the process, but a lot of players hate it. Some suggestions about how to change it got a Blue reply, and as much stuff as the devs are changing up in the game lately, it's not out of the question they might rework the RoRG as well.

Fixing the Ring of Royal Grandeur:

You do realize there are dozens of threads on how sick people are of just farming act 1 bounties over and over again for RoRG.
    Tyvalir: That's a fair point.

Wyatt mentioned in our Tavern Talk livestream that playing Adventure Mode is fun when you're just beginning, but that players can get burnt out quickly if they spend all of their time just trying to farm the Ring of Royal Grandeur.

With that said, we're currently considering ways we could alleviate the focus on just doing Bounties in one act over and over again. To get the conversation rolling, here are a few of the ways we could achieve this:

1. We could allow Ring of Royal Grandeur to drop from Horadric Caches in any act
    2. We could move it to the global drop table, allowing it to drop almost anywhere in the game
    3. We could allow it to drop when you do one of the two bonus acts of the day (those which currently give bonus Blood Shards)

These are only three ideas, of course, so you can imagine there are lots of ways we could go about achieving our goal of encouraging more diversity when doing Bounties. With that said, how would you change Adventure Mode to incentivize doing a variety of Bounties across all five acts of the game? [source]http://diablo.incgamers.com/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/16410200874[/source]

What do you guys think should be done to "fix" the RoRG? I like the idea of another item adding the RoRG bonus, myself. Maybe there could be multiple items, like a belt, a boots, and a bracer that gave the same RoRG bonus, and you'd have to decide which slot was best to earn the bonus from. Assuming the inherent affixes on each item were sub-optimal (as the mainstat, IAS, and LpH are on the Ring) compared to the top affixes in that item slot, there would always be some level of trade off for the gearing flexibilty. (And the idea of 2 RoRG items granting +2, thus giving you the six-piece bonus from just four pieces, would be even more interesting.)

Here's a survey/vote with the options mentioned above and a couple of others I've heard. You can pick multiple answers, so vote all that you think appropriate.

[poll id="198"]​
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. MisterB

MisterB IncGamers Member

Why not just make it a special reward for completing all Bounties in all acts. It should only be achieved though if all the Bounties are done in row in a continuous online session.

3. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Great idea, that's actually a lot of bounties to complete so it would still be somewhat of a grind but with a reward at the end, instead of the all too common swift kick to the junk ringless bounty bag.

4. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

Personally I think they should probably just remove RoRG when the expansion rolls around. It was an interesting idea for an item, but I don't see that it really adds anything to the game. I'd prefer if they just made sets have a maximum bonus at 4-piece and just more interesting other items to choose from. One of the reasons RoRG was used so much was simply because 90% of rings were arse, and because sets take up too many slots.

RoRG is the solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

5. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

The biggest problem of them all is infinite monster scaling. Most legendary combos cannot keep up past a certain GR level. Wanna get laughed at and kicked out of groups?, roll into a higher level gr party with Depth Diggers and a Simplicty Strength gem.

Instead of limiting the scaling and reworking all legendaries, they focused on sets, and in my opinion placed too much emphasis on them by making them too powerful, this in turn creates the RORG problem.

Getting rid of RORG does nothing to solve the problems with infinite monster scaling doing the most damage to the game beyond even bots.

6. Mithron

Mithron IncGamers Member

Moving it to all caches wouldn't change anything, people would still only farm Act 1 for it because it's the quickest. Just add it to the daily bonus Acts so we're forced to play different Acts.

7. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

They need to make it work like a Ramalamadingdong and you can add the enchant to any ring.

8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I feel the game would be more interesting if the next expansion just did away with set items entirely, or restricted them to two item bonuses (thus making the RoRG obsolete).

9. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

Agreed, it should be removed from Act 1 and simply moved to the daily bonus acts.

Also they should give quadruple blood shards; double isn't much of a draw if the act is full of slow / annoying bounties.

10. CryptoKnight81

CryptoKnight81 IncGamers Member

They should just make bounties work on a token system. Each set of bounties earns you a token which can be turned into Tyrael for any cache. Then maybe award two tokens for bonus acts and an extra one for completing all bounties in one game...

11. moiselvus

moiselvus IncGamers Site Pal

Imho they should switch the RoRG and the hellfire ring (or amulet) bonus. Given it's power it makes far more sense as a hellfire item.

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

That's possible, though guaranteed specific item rewards aren't very Diablo-esque. As we joke on the podcast, it's not a proper Diablo feature if it cant' screw you with RNG.

Whether it would even be worth doing all 25 quests in one game is another isuse. On T6 you get a guaranteed leg from every cache, and I'm sure I could do A1 five times in less total time than than I could do all the long-ass bounties in A2, A3, and A5. (And I might get 2 or 3 RoRGs in those 5 A1 clears. Or zero.)

I could see the guaranteed drop working once per char, the way you get a leg guaranteed from all act bosses your first time through on story mode. To give new players/characters the RoRG they need for early gearing, while longer term farming would remain a repetitive act bounty clearing thing.

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

I am not at all convinced that A1 is faster to farm than A4. Especially in the current live game, with almost always a very quick Hellrift bounty. A4 has small areas, and all the Cursed Chests and Rakanoth bounties are very fast to find/complete, plus the Silver Spire levels are pretty quick to explore.

Only the "kill Purple" in the Gardens of Hope 1 and 2 are slow-ish. Even Kill Diablo is pretty fast. If you're well-geared, each of the three sections of his battle takes 15s or less, and auto-skipped cutscenes take no time at all.

Of course that's all irrelevant while A1 has a 1/5 chance of a RoRG and A4 has a 1/22 chance, but when/if tweak those figures with this bonus Bounty Act change...

14. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Member

but the new 1k storms set actually encourages spender skill damage stacking so they wouldn't be laughed at for long (if monk)

=)

15. dezzo

dezzo IncGamers Member

Make it a craftable item.

16. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

I got a brilliant idea. Let's make it so we aren't helpless without a set! Then we won't stack sets and need a specific ring so we have any gear variety at all.

17. Charons

Charons Diablo: IncGamers Member

I've said it before. I'll say it again. 6 piece set bonuses are stifling this game and they have just released a PTR that commits even more of the sets to 6 piece bonuses. 4 should be the max. Having it be 4 gives the greatest flexibility in diversifying your build.

Remember the days when Jay Wilson was trumpeting BILLIONS of builds? And here we are with each class having VERY few end game viable builds and they just keep digging that hole deeper.

18. Flux

Flux Administrator

That would be convenient, but I think would be a crutch for itemization.

IMHO, the RoRG is kind of an interesting item precisely because it's got 2 (or arguably 3) not great affixes. A socket is mandatory on a ring, and since RoRG has only 1 random affix and the others are IAS/mainstat/LpH, there's value in searching for one that gets a good affix in the random slot, letting you enchant 1 other affix. And even with a great RoRG roll, like +48% CD + socket, any well-geared char is giving up substantial DPS in the ring slot to gain the RoRG legendary affix.

Which is, I'm sure Wyatt or another dev would say, the whole point in item design. It's why we can't enchant 2 or 3 properties on the same item to make everything perfect, or tack on the RoRG bonus to any item we like. And why any added items with the RoRG bonus would have to be non-ideal in their stats (you wouldn't want it on a ring or armor item that was just 4/1 random affixes), to create some kind of trade off or decision to the gearing dilemma.

19. dezzo

dezzo IncGamers Member

i agree. the sets shd be 4 pieces instead of 6 to allow more diversification of builds.

however despite it being an awesome idea, i wouldn't trust the devs to know how to balance 4 piece sets given their track record because atm they seem to be more concerned with ramping up the DPS of everything.

i had an eyebrow raising moment when i saw the new 2 piece bonus for the tal rasha set. although its a great bonus, i doubt it will stay that way.

20. koko

koko IncGamers Member

You really like this "trade off" think right (reminds me the discussion about MF)? Yet here, it is not really a trade off because having a RoRG is always the best choice.