Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fixes to Common Diablo III Beta Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Risingred, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Fixes to Common Diablo III Beta Problems

Hi guys, figured I'd put this up here in case someone is having issues. This is tech support, not account support. We cannot help you with password/other account problems.

If you are reading this for the open beta weekend, and you are having an issue with the login, then just make a new bnet account for the weekend. There's quite a few bugs still in the system due to the trial program that have no current workarounds. These will probably disappear once the release client is out.

The Launcher is stuck at "Updating 0%"

For windows, hit ctrl+alt+del, and bring up the task manager. Don't close the launcher. Find agent.exe (or agent(x86).exe) and right-click it, then hit end process (kill it). The "play" button should light up, allowing you into the game.

A gray pop-up box is stuck at "Updating"

This one is a bit more complicated. In order to fix this, you must have hidden files showing on your system. To enable this option, follow these instructions for Windows 7. I believe they are the same for Vista. For XP, follow these instructions.

Make sure that the launcher and agent.exe have both been killed in the processes list in the task manager (refer to previous solution for instructions).
    After that is done, go into My Computer and find C:\ProgramData. It may not be the "C" drive depending on how your computer is set up-simply find the program data folder on whichever drive you installed the game to, but if not there, then check the first drive in the list.
    In C:\Program Data, you'll see a Battle.net folder. Delete it. Don't back it up or rename it, just delete it.
    After that, find the C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Cache folder. Delete it. Like the other, don't rename it or move it, just delete it.

Re-start the launcher. The gray pop-up box will come back up, and it will appear to be stuck again. Just give it a minute as this time it actually is updating the files (because you deleted them). The launcher will pop up and you'll be able to resume playing. If the pop-up box sticks for more than two minutes, kill agent.exe and the launcher (if active) and re-start these steps. It's rare that this isn't fixed on the first go, but it happens.

Textures are missing/flickering, and projectiles are not showing

Re-start the client. Exit the game, exit the launcher (if it remains up) and, if necessary, kill agent.exe in the task manager, processes list.
    Sometimes alt-tabbing will fix one of the problems, but currently the only fix for all three is to restart the game. I'm not sure what causes this and I don't think Blizzard is either.

I'm lagging relentlessly

It's a stress test. We're all lagging relentlessly. It's supposed to be this way.

I'm having other issues, encountering bugs, etc.

Step 1: Visit this thread which will list things that are not bugs.
    Step 2: Visit this thread which will list known issues to the game, and sometimes a workaround for them.
    Step 3: If you've encountered a bug that hasn't previously been reported, then post about it with as much detail (and screens/video if possible) to this forum:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3355035/

I can't pick up the lore book "The History of Tristram" and the Skeleton bestiary isn't playing!

These are known bugs. Excruciatingly well known. For the love of god please don't post about it.

The Login button is grayed out

Seems to be some confusion over this because Blizzard made you make a battletag to get the beta. You don't log in with your battletag, but with the email associated to your battle.net account. It is in the format "[email protected]"

I'm receiving Error #X while trying to log in

If you are receiving an error after the game tries to authenticate, it is an issue with the server. Just wait and try again.
    If you are receiving an error that says more than just an error number, then this is a well-established error that likely has a workaround, and feel free to ask about it.

Update from Blizzard:

Failed to read a required file error

Regrettably the only thing I think can be done about this is deleting the entire Diablo III Beta folder in C:\Program Files, and then re-downloading the client.
    If you are encountering a problem not on this list, please post it to this thread and we may be able to help you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Rainywinter

Rainywinter IncGamers Member

Re: Fixes to Common Diablo III Beta Problems

There is no Program Data folder anywhere in my computer. Vista Ultimate I got.
    The Grey launcher is stuck at Updating Setup Files...

Anything else?

3. Risingred

You have to follow the steps in the link to make the folder visible.

Edit: here's vista:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

4. Rainywinter

Wow that's a quick response. Cool. :)
    I already did that. No such folder exists.

5. Rainywinter

OK, here's the deal. I installed the game to my D:\ drive.

I have a "ProgramData" (notice no space) in C:\ drive, but no Blizzard Entertainment there.
    Instead, I have battle.net folder.
    Inside, I have Setup, Client and Agent folders.
    None of which has Cache folder inside.

Any idea what to do next?

Edit:

Oh, okay.

I deleted it, still no Blizzard Entertainment folder. I'll let u know how it went.

6. Rainywinter

It solved my problem!

So, basically, you might want to update for Vista:
    No matter which drive you installed the game, its C:\ProgramData\ and inside the battle.net folder, just to delete it all. No Blizzard Entertainment was found on my end.

Thanks! :D

7. Shadyguy

Shadyguy IncGamers Member

I get an error when trying to log in. "Player has been disconnected. (Error 3005)". Is this a common error? Should I wait and just try again later?

Edit: Nevermind, they're in the process of releasing an update that can affect logins.

8. Risingred

Thanks Rainywinter, I actually didn't know that. I'll update it. But not every computer has a "c" drive.

Everything is all screwy at the moment.

9. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

Error 37 as anticipated in the blue post.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  10. CptSlappy

CptSlappy IncGamers Member

thanks alot Risingred. It Starts finally after removing the hidden battlenet files.

Still getting the error 37, but i think all are getting this right now.

11. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

Thanks to you!!!
    I have been looking to solve a problem, couldn't log in, for 3 days! Been looking EVERYWHERE on the Internet!

12. TheTurkeybone

TheTurkeybone IncGamers Member

Greetings folks, I am having a problem that I have yet to see be described on the forums. I was able to launch the game, and the installer thingee says "game is up to date", but when I run the game it says "you need to download a patch, d3 will now close and do this automatically." But when I click ok it goes back to windows and says "D3 beta is already running" and then crashes.. and I have no idea if anything is actually getting updated. Is there a solution for this, or some way to download the patch outside of the auto-update? Please help!

13. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

I get into the main screen just fine without no problems, but cant connect because the Login button is grayed out!! HELP PLEASE!

14. luckyphoenix

luckyphoenix IncGamers Member

Im getting a strange problem while im downloading the beta installer, after "Updating Setup Files" It says, "Failed to create a required file. Please make sure you are running this as an administrator and try again. Error code: BLZPTS0000B "

I'm using the administrator account and tried to manually got to Properties>Compatibility>Privelage level and check the appropriate box, but it's all grayed out. Any ideas?

15. Risingred

It's telling you that the beta is already running because of the agent program. If you go into task manager and kill agent.exe, you'll be able to restart the launcher.
    It sounds like something has corrupted, or else it is an error on Blizzard's end. I would suggest doing the second solution in the original post to see if it works.

The login button would only be grayed out if there wasn't a valid email address added. You don't use your battletag or anything, but your complete email address that you use for your bnet account. [email protected]

Blizzard hasn't given any advice for this one, but it's fairly new.
    To me it doesn't sound like a permission error so much as a write error, or at least an error on their end. I would suggest performing the second solution in my original post here.

If that doesn't work you may have to start looking at some of the background applications that are running and figure out if any of them would for whatever reason be tying up your ProgramData folder.
    What's happening is that a program is using the ProgramData folder so you can't do a write/rewrite to it, because you can't gain permission.

If you still have trouble, I would suggest running it in safe mode with networking and see if that solves the issue.

16. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

Anyone else is encountering error 3004 when creating a game ? It says "There was an error. (Error 3004)".
    I could not find an explanation for it yet.

17. xwoar

xwoar IncGamers Member

I also get a 3004 error. Still don't know what to do..

18. Risingred

Error 3004 has to do with the server reaching max capacity.

19. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

So, I am unsure of what my root problem was. I believe it was a false hard drive full error. I tried the fix on blizzard support, but that didn't work.

I think a basic way to loop around an error is to use sandboxie, free program that allows you to have a pc inside your pc basically. You can set the option to increase file size in the options menu, I set mine for 66gigs. Then run diablo 3 in sandboxie and it worked.

I had the patch and game downloaded on my laptop and transferred to computer, so no downloading was needed. For some reason when I tried to run any of the 3 or 4 diablo launch devices, it would not work.

Now just waiting for servers to come up :)

20. KennyDuBz

KennyDuBz IncGamers Member

When i launch D3 Beta the loading bar lags 3/4 of the way at the Updating Setup files, any ideas?