Fishymancer vs Maggot Lair - SP Strategies

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
Fishymancer vs Maggot Lair - SP Strategies

For most fishy's, this is the quest to dread. What is your strategy to get through this annoying and awkward quest?

My strategy is to just set the player level to 1 and be very, very patient.:cry:

Edit: I haven't found/gambled for a teleport charged amulet yet...

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
set the game to p3(sept in hell when its p1) de summon my army and let my merc do the hard work while i sit and cast amp and c.e

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Agreed. The minions are a pain in the Lair; two or three absolute maximum but Moron + Amp + CE. A few skellies at the end is useful as there is a nice big area.

YoungDbl

Diabloii.Net Member
Also the arcane sanctuary seems to give me more problems then the maggot lair. Atleast in the lair there is a ton of worm corpses for ce. Arcane is just a horrid death trap!!! I would like to see strats for there. My maggot strat is moron and amp/ce. Also I throw a gumby in the midst of the monsters to through them off. My arcane strat is just hope you dont get a tumor after 4 hours...:rolleyes:

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Only have your merc and if really needed a golem.

Use Attract, Amp Damage and CE. When you get to the bigger rooms with lots of mobs cast attract on 2 or 3 mobs to give your merc more breathing space.

Have a bow on switch if you want - Witchwild String is nice cos it fires lvl 20 magic arrows and you don't need ammo for it.

edit: Buriza-Do Kyanon would also be nice for the 100% pierce and the +3 freeze target

Be prepared to run back to your merc at any moment.

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
Also the arcane sanctuary seems to give me more problems then the maggot lair. Atleast in the lair there is a ton of worm corpses for ce. Arcane is just a horrid death trap!!! I would like to see strats for there. My maggot strat is moron and amp/ce. Also I throw a gumby in the midst of the monsters to through them off. My arcane strat is just hope you dont get a tumor after 4 hours...:rolleyes:
4 hours sounds about right for the Arcane Sanctuary. :undecided:

Back on topic... I'm going through a similar nightmare atm as well, another of my characters has issues with the place. Only one kind of enemy, but the beetles are EVERYWHERE! I'm not sure if there's some kind of issue with the pathing in that map or if the corridors are just a little bit too small or something. Whatever it is, minions seem to be able to see the enemies, but not get to them unless it's down the exact middle of the passage.

You could also try summoning your golem behind the worms or whatever as a distraction so that you have less baddies focussing on your reduced front lines.

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, I think I spent about 2 hours in the maggot lair before I got my teleport amulet. Then I think it was 5 minutes there and 5 minutes in the arcane sanctuary. I didn't bother to kill anything, just hopped through.

Of course, picking the correct path first time in the sanctuary helped quite a lot.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, I think I spent about 2 hours in the maggot lair before I got my teleport amulet. Then I think it was 5 minutes there and 5 minutes in the arcane sanctuary. I didn't bother to kill anything, just hopped through.

Of course, picking the correct path first time in the sanctuary helped quite a lot.
As did, I assume, not getting hit by ghosts (no mana = no teleport)

winmar

Diabloii.Net Member
I did act2 with my fishymancer just a couple of days ago. It was my first time in HELL with that char. But i didnt find those places to be such an annoyance. I just desummoned all of my minions and let my merc kill one mob on /p1 then i amped+CE the rest of them. With Insight Cryptic Axe, Shaftstop and Rockstopper my merc could kill a beetle in 2-3 hits and i never had to revive him.

Arcane was a little tougher, the merc would stop following sometimes and i had to throw a TP.

Perhaps its all these horror stories on the forums that made me think the maggot and arcane wasn't that bad, i had pictured something alot more nightmare-ish :)

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
For most fishy's, this is the quest to dread. What is your strategy to get through this annoying and awkward quest?
I can not understand these troubles at all, just don´t summon anything (except the occasional golem). I don´t twink and I haven´t played a skellimancer since v1.09, but my melee mercs very rarely have any trouble dominating enemies in the narrow hallways anyway (save for the occasianal nasty beetle boss). Amp/Decrep/Life Tap makes it a breeze. And when you get close to the entrance to a room, the enemies are usually nicely bunched up behind the enemy the merc is fighting. Once it goes down, it´s time for a major Amp + Corpse Explosion fest. Piece of cake.

XorceR

Diabloii.Net Member
Just set players to /p1 and then it's quite easy to get through any place with CE. I had lvl 20+ CE so it was a slaughter :grin: . Just have a bit of patience for 1 monster to go down then..kaboom!