Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fishy Advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by robdylan, Jun 10, 2005.

1. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Fishy Advice

Hi guys

Been playing my Fishymancer through nightmare, and am about to finish Act 3, at about level 62 (gogo gadget players 8 :))

I've been pretty good about sticking to Nightfish's suggested skill order (maxed RS first, then SM, busy with CE) but I'm a little confused about attribute point placement. I've put 100 odd in strength (wearing Trang's armour) and a good few in dex, with the balance in Vit. Very few in Energy. I run out of mana all the blinking time, but at least those blue pots are easy to come by. I have 65 points saved, though, and I guess I need to put them in dex, but just not sure what shield I'm going to end up using. Right now, I'm using Lidless, which is cool, but it has a horrible chance to block and no MF. I realise that Homunculus is probably the best choice, but the only one I've got is f%%%%%ngwell ethereal. Should I go with Whitstan's, rather? Good % blocking, but not much else (specifically no MF or +skills). Maybe I should rather continue with Lidless and pump Vit at the expense of blocking.

Some thoughts? What do you guys find works. Good end-game gear to aim for? Balancing the need for MF with not dying is proving a tad challenging. I also have big problems with resists.

2. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

How much points have you spend in Dex? I didn't bother with blocking with my Skellimancer, skellies are a good enough shield.

100 base strenght (allows to equip Skullder's) & rest in vit is teh best solution IMO.

3. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

i've patted my fishy using a 2xPDia moser's and occasionally Whitstan's
    but most of the times i went with moser's
    i dont have a homounculus
    i've had enuff dex for max block with whitstan's (of course with added points from raven frost and maybe charms...i dunno) though in the final stages i've come to think that you dont really need max block with a fishymancer
    in my opinion you shouldn't worry about lacking +skills with this build...
    really, you can do really well without
    as for MF, there's always the weapon switch
    rhyme grim shield/troll nest and ali baba :D

resists...i have 75/75/75/68 with tal's helm armor and belt (good MF also), moser's 2PDia, some resall charms and a rare ammy

4. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

What max block? Oh my fishy don't have any of those, but has 1.2k life instead. He's level 86 though. He doesn't get hit much, so really, it doesn't matter much.

Occasional deaths only include fire enchanted @#%#[email protected]#ing bosses.

5. robdylan

Ok - base stats are

Str 89
    Dex 80
    Vit 100
    Ene 66

Remaining points: 65

I'm starting to rue the points in dex now...

In terms of gear, I'm going to give him my Topazed Harley and I'm keen to keep Trang's armour and gloves, for the +skills. I have 2 nagles, but I rather want rare rings with resists and MF (rare rings can get more than 24%mf, right?). I'm using Tancred's ammy and boots and I can't think of anything better (no War Travs). Ume's Lament is my weapon, but I guess I'll switch to Ali Baba later. How much +skills is necessary? 'Cause if I go full on MF, I'll probably only have the 2 from Harley. My skellies are now at lvl 24 (SM at 24 as well) and they don't do a whole lot of damage, even with my merc's might aura.

6. phatbrava

the skellies dont do the big damage...your merc does
    so IMO you should worry more about your merc's gear and survivability than +skills and skelly damage
    sure, they're very useful, but more as a shield and distraction

7. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Merc does first and maybe second kill, CE does the rest.

8. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Hmm... my fishy has 95 STR, 165 DEX, 205 VIT, 25 ENE right now (before equip), I try to keep blocking with my Homunculus high (>70%). He's got 779 life, not that low either. I'm running archer infested areas with him, and blocking helps in these situations.

9. robdylan

Merc currently has Undead Crown, Hwanin's Justice and eth Ancient Armour. Will give him Tal's mask at level 66 and probably Arioc's or Bonehew. Any sense in going with 4PTopaz armour? I guess not, since CE will do most of the killing.

10. phatbrava

no need
    shaft or duriel's
    or maybe some RW if you have spares
    you may consider using hone sundan (ShaelShaelAmn) and guillaume's on your merc
    80% CB is no joke!
    bosses fall like flies

11. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

How much durability is left?

I think you can use it with no problems. You don´t get hit often, right?

I´ve had the same necro head for the two first acts in Hell and it has lost 1 durability...

12. robdylan

You know, I was actually considering this. It has full 11/11 durability.

I'm trying to trade for a non eth one as well, though, so we'll see.

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

As a fishy you will not be hit too often, so use the eth one unless it looses too much DUR or unless you will find non-eth one.

14. Bazhell

Bazhell IncGamers Member

You won't be able to use bonehew on your merc anywhere near level 66 unless you use something that also adds strength since Bonehew requires 195.

Nor will you be able to use Arioc since it has a class level of 84.

The Hone Sundan is a good idea. others like Kelpie for the slow.

15. robdylan

Been using the eth Homu since Friday and ain't lost any durability so far. Looks like this plan might work.

I'm still concerned that my MF is currently way too low, though. What is a realistic figure to aim for, while still able to clear quickly? I currently have a total of 222% (Tarnhelm 64, Tancred's Ammy/boots 78, Goldwrap 30 and two nagles 25 each). I guess I could go ali baba and rhyme for an additional 85-odd and get another 96-100 from armour, but if I lose all the +skills from Ume's + homu + trang's armour I'm gonna get pwned!

16. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

That should work for some time.

And I think I remember reading there is a trick to restore durability on a eth item. (never tried it myself though)

It's was either socketing at larzuk or personalizing. Once you are at 1 it might be worth the attempt (when you haven't found another one)

Randall

EDIT:

As for better items. For the armor/helm/weapon there are high mf gear possible (shield as well, if you have a lot if ist's)

If you take a normal +1 skill amulet and swap the trangs armor for 96% / 100% mf (skullders' would be really perfect) you can still add magical/rare boots (usually around 30% mf). Or if you have one, a +2/+3 necro summon magical amulet.

That increases mf with around 50% while only losing 1 summon skill (gaining 1 P&B/Curses)

Go for a around 300% / 350%. Only increase more if you have really nice gear.

Also start rerolling charms for mf charms. When you find a lot they do add up.

17. robdylan

Well, might as well put a perfect diamond in it a some point anyway. Would prefer to do that with a non-eth one, though

18. TheWormishOne

TheWormishOne IncGamers Member

Also keep in mind that it's the skill levels at the point of the summoning that determines the minions' stats. You could have a weapon set with high + to skills when summoning, then switch to a high MF set while killing.

19. robdylan

Ha - I didn't think about that. So I use ume's/Homu to summon my army, then kill with AliBaba/Rhyme. I can also get my Meteorb sorc to donate her Topazed Harley, I guess. What's the highest MF you can get on a magic/rare ring?

Oh - I also found some War Travellers, which I could use. Just need at least 38% on the ammy to compensate for the loss of the tancred's stuff.

20. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Magical with one affix, 'of Fortune': +25%
    Magical with prefix + suffix, 'Fortitous Ring of Fortune' (MUCH harder to find!): 15+25= +40%

Rare with one affix, 'of Chance': +15%
    Rare with two MF affixes, 'Felicitous' & 'of Chance' (MUCH harder to find!): 10+15= +25%

Magical amulets can get Fortitous of Luck (up to 15+35=+50%). I´ve found one with +49%. Rare amulets (Felicitous of Fortune) go up to 10+25=35%.