Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First time with classic, questions

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Jaquiezz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

First time with classic, questions

(Quoted from stickies)

I'm just starting out in classic, because I realized that expac has become ridiculously stupid with dupewords and overpowered noobs, so I want to try out some classic ladder on east (this sounds like where everyone plays, true?)

Does static really sliver bosses in hell classic? I know it has reduced effectiveness in expac in hell, 1/3. You could make a pretty sweet static sorcy if this was true.

I hope to see you all around for some runewordless gaming!

2. HisInfernalMajesty

HisInfernalMajesty IncGamers Member

Re: First time with classic, questions

xpac is stupid. i agree entirely
    yes static can reduce hell bosses to very low amount so life.
    at times, i have staticed mephisto to low enough health that one orb would finish him off.
    but i usually just static him to like 1/3 life and finish him off with orbs. <- seems fastest.

3. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

i think static is always 25% of current life reduced. no penalty on it for different difficulties. Only more static is needed because of larger life pools on stronger monsters later in game. Lit (lightning) immunity means static does NOT work.

static is THE most powerful skill in classic, except against lit immune monsters.

every sorc MUST have 1 pt static. godly skill for only 1 sk pt.

i have NO idea how/if static works in pvp though.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  4. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

So what if I try making a static sorc that uses a maxed static to static the entire screen several times then hits them with orb to finish them off, rather than just one skill point. Any one ever given this a try?

5. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

eighth year with classic

From the Arreat Summit: "Static Field is Lightning damage, and can be resisted through Lightning Resistance. Static Field is not affected by Conviction and Lower Resist."

Works well in PvE, terribly in PvP. The PvP damage penalty seems to be taken into account, so even if your opponent has zero lightning resistance only 1/24 life of a player's life will be reduced. (1/6 penalty times 1/4 life taken)
    A player with 75% lightning resist will lose 1/96 life per cast of Static Field.

6. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

orb? how about all 3 damage types for a tri-elemental sorc!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the tri-elemental sorc build:

stats: enough str/dex for gear. rest into vit.

skills: max static, CL (chain lightning) or nova (lit) or lit bolt (whatever it called=the lvl 1 skill), meteor or firewall or fireball or hydra, orb or glacial spike or ice blast or FN (frost nova). 1 pt into the 3 elem masteries and warmth. rest into teleport.

gear: max FCR gear (shard, magefist, eyeless, amulet, ring, ring). than resists on what gear is left or can be done.

play tactics: using max static with max FCR gear u quickly reduce the swarm of monsters to near death where u can kill off with whatever elem spell u need for the monsters. high lit resistant or lit immune monsters will take longer since static wont work well or at all. but meteor or firewall both stack on themselves with each cast for huge damage, but high fire resistant monsters might make even these slow to kill too. if monsters are both lit and fire immune, it'll take the longest or be im possible to kill with weak orb or frost nova. but there's not many fire and lit immune monsters in the game.

7. barty

barty IncGamers Member

I have made several static sorcies. It is powerful, imo not as powerful as CE but still gg.
    I have found u dont really need more than lvl 12-14 static to clear most of the screen.
    Static with orb is a monsterous pairing. Max orb/Cold mast + lvl 12-14 static = done.
    That even allows you to max teleport [5 mana tele anyone?] and lvl synergy for orb to 6-8. 300+ dmg orb with that. [or go with firewall/fire mast for 2x ele]
    btw it helps to orb first, to slow things then stat stat orb. wit about 70 fcr u can get 2-3 statics in between orbs. i found the fastest way is to orb/stat/stat then orb again, only staticing between orbs.
    I have yet to see a gg tri-element sorc, in classic work, well, well...