Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Time Paladin Please Help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by DreadReaper, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DreadReaper

DreadReaper IncGamers Member

First Time Paladin Please Help

I have never played as a Paladin before. I am currently level 70 and in Hell difficulty, and realized my Paladin sucks. My currently maxed out skills are Vengeance and Holy Shock (with a bunch of other points spread around). My character has 29 skill points left to get. What skills should I max out to make my Paladin good?

-Dread_Reaper

P.S. My mercenary is getting killed all the time, even though he has more life and defense than me. He is an Act II mercenary with Might aura. Should I ditch him for something else?

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Try getting Conviction to slvl 25.

Look for the Avenger guide in the stickies.

Mercs survive only if they have good gear. What does yours have?

3. KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah IncGamers Member

Act 2 Merc

I would stick with your act 2 mercenary considering he is the only type in the game with an aura. Like FrostBurn said, he needs good gear to survive... are you going solo or do you have a party?

4. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

I also say up your resist lightning as well. It will benefit both Vengence and Holy shock after your Conviction can hit lvl25.

Excess points go to Holy Shield.

5. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Problem: You can't run both Conviction and Holy Shock at the same time.

You've either got to invest those points into synergising Vengeance and Holy Shock, or get Conviction happening, but then you would have completely wasted those points in Holy Shock, since you can only run 1 at a time... not both.

You could switch between the 2 at different situations, but that would be horribly inefficient, and you'd most likely want to be running Conviction 24/7.

Sadly, a Holy Shock Avenger isn't one of the strongest builds in the game. But still viable, no doubting that. Best bet would be to make use of the maxed Holy Shock, and put those points to it's synergies, then Vengeance's synergies, and see how it goes. Careful of lightning immunes, though, they're aplenty in hell.

Regarding your merc, try changing to Holy Freeze. You'll miss out on some physical damage from Might BUT you'll be a lot safer, and your merc's survivability will increase. Don't forget to get items with Life Leech on them for your merc. It's important for his survival.

6. FireIsForBadKids

FireIsForBadKids IncGamers Member

Cant he just throw infinity on his merc? makes sence to me, since it will help both his main attack and main aura