First test jitters

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
First test jitters

How does one get over the test jitters? I have my first big test in biology on Friday. It is mostly the chem aspect of biology and I am not good at that. I have a tutoring session tomorrow and I am skipping anthropology on Friday to go to the study group.

I am absolutely petrified that I will fail the test.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
The best way to get rid of pre-test anxiety is to be prepaired. Make sure you know the material and tell yourself that you did what you need to do to pass the test.

You will do fine.

jackthelad

Diabloii.Net Member
I did a chem unit for my biochemistry degree (which I dropped out of, so maybe not the best for advice!) & I found that my basic background in physics helped a lot, so I dont know if its any help to you but it made the chemistry for biology unit a breeze. Is that all about diffraction gratings, spectra, equations involving the speed of light, that sorta thing?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
The only way I've been able to do it is to take the test... and once I'm done, the jitters are gone!

I know it's not much help... but I'm always nervous before tests. The only thing that helps at all is knowing I studied as much as I could, and consequently, I'm prepared.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to study until an hour before the test. I would then use that hour to play Snood. It would clear my mind.

I swear the Snood ritual raised my test scores by 10 points.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
This first test is supposed to be the easiest. It encompasses evolution to peptide bonds.

I am feeling better now that we are doing cells and cell structure. I can remember that from school.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I generally find the first tests to be hardest, because how the teacher handles their tests is very important to my studying.
I was never one to be nervous about a test though. Talking to more than 3 people at once though, no thanks.

RevenantsKnight

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
I used to study until an hour before the test. I would then use that hour to play Snood. It would clear my mind.

I swear the Snood ritual raised my test scores by 10 points.
Heh, yeah...seems to work for me, though I used Minesweeper instead.

In terms of what to do right before the test, do not study at the last minute in the testing room or listen to other people talking about the material. Even if you know what you need to know, it's easy to get rattled if someone mentions something that's mostly irrelevant but you didn't know it, or if you read over that sort of thing in your textbook.

For now, just study as much as your mind will let you. Frankly, that's about all I can do to shake pre-test jitters without liquid courage or something. (Hypothetically, anyway... :tongue:)

Zodiac66 said:
It encompasses evolution to peptide bonds.
:confused2: That's a rather odd assortment of stuff...

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I walked into my match class yesterday, and noticed everyone studying. I asked "Do we have a test today or something?" Everyone seemed to think that was funny.

Thank God I didn't need a Scantron.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
i did bio last year.. piece of cake.. although we completely skipped the chem part. This year i'm in ap chem so that's a different story.

I dont have a full test yet but i did have an in class essay which sucked badly.

Isolde212

Banned
Funny I never studied before tests or exams. I went out and got drunk and strolled in the next day with my pj's on.

DOC

Off Topic Moderator
The way I always got through tests in high school was to basically tell myself that I would fail, hope for the worst and tell myself I didn't know it. That way when I studied like crazy and found I knew something I felt better.

Not sure how that will hold up in college for me, still waiting for the first test.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
Funny I never studied before tests or exams. I went out and got drunk and strolled in the next day with my pj's on.
Psychology major?

I usually stayed up with some friends and had a study session. Take a break to go grab some food, come back, hit the books, and get to bed. Don't go to bed too early and don't stay up too late.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I studied in the week or so before the exam, and especially all through the preceding night. I'd make notes of things I thought I'd have trouble remembering and then just before we got let into the venue I'd read through that sheet and cram it all in my short-term memory.

Isolde212

Banned
AeroJonesy said:
Psychology major?

I usually stayed up with some friends and had a study session. Take a break to go grab some food, come back, hit the books, and get to bed. Don't go to bed too early and don't stay up too late.
English major Psych/Religious studies minors....so yeah arts! Yay arts!

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
This first test is supposed to be the easiest. It encompasses evolution to peptide bonds.
Even if the test itself is easy the first test is always the most nerve-wrenching.

Once you sit down to take it your nerves will stop jumping around, but until then there's not much you can do aside from what Freet said... prepare.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, its over. While I was taking the test, it seemed pretty easy. Thank god I memorized the primary functional groups. I did have to guess on a few of them.

Being that I thought it was easy could mean I did very, very well or very, very poorly.

At least I know how he tests now.