Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First sorc, just started hell, big problem, help?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Zoheret, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Zoheret

Zoheret IncGamers Member

First sorc, just started hell, big problem, help?

Hi there!

I'm playing a sorceress for the first time. I went with a blizzard sorc, maxxed out blizzard, cold mastery, etc. I'm using a normal act 2 merc with a fire damage poleaxe. Normal was a breeze, Nightmare was scary (Undead Stygian Dolls, ugh) but very fast.

Hell is Hell. I can't play :(

All the undead in the blood moor are immune to cold... all the mobs in the den of evil are immune to cold. All the bosses I've encountered are immune to cold.

I've spent almost 500K rezzing my poor merc. I spent 100K buying a +3 to meteor staff and using that to kill the cold immune mobs... last boss & minions group took just short of 1/2 hr to kill, including more than a dozen rezzes. This is nuts.

What do I do? I have no free skill points and I can't kill these cold immunes myself, so I have to rely on my merc to do it, but even with 1200 hp and maxxed resistance he dies when I run out of pots :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Magikan

Magikan IncGamers Member

I assume your playing on realm? What level are you? If under level 75 it's worth doing some NM baal runs until level 75, while doing this u may or may not want to keep ur merc alive, dpends how you wish to use him.... When going up these leves go into a different skill tree, have u gone into the other two at all? meteor or hydra are good fire choices and nova is a good lightning choice but costs alot of mana at higher levels...

Basically if ur lower than level 75 go level on NM and go up other skills :)

3. Zoheret

Zoheret IncGamers Member

Thanks Magikan, I forgot to mention I'm level 70 (so is my merc). Playing single player only (masochist).

Back to nightmare it is I guess... :)

But I really don't want to spend skill points on an alternate skill tree... how do other pure cold sorc's get around this problem I wonder?

4. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

Well that is the problem with a single elemental sorc like pure blizz and pure fire or pure light builds.

I found that out the hard way with a pure light sorc. dont get me wrong the damage is crazy. My light sorc doesnt have any skillers and is using the the standard mf set up of 3 tals and oculus / shako combo and I do a little over 11k light bolt and over 5k cl.

There is only 2 ways around this since you are playing on single player:

1: Have a very strong merc and hope that you put 1 point into static
    2: Restart as I did and with the suggestion of this forum and made a meteorb sorc

I made her last night and I am lvl 37 and if it wasnt for mana problems I do some major damage with orb already just by following the guide.

Hope that helps!!

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums:)

Hell is hell as you said yourself...without the best gear, most builds will struggle in hell. If you're going to play single tree only sorceress you're going to be frustrated a lot. I know Blizzard is an awesome killing machine when fully synergised, but I feel that you're much better of with versatility...Something like a meteorb sorceress is excellent because both elements are strong enough to kill so you can basically handle everything.

If you're dead set on single element sorcersses you NEED a very good mercenary who can take care of the cold immues for you. He needs to be a very strong tank so max resist and some damage reduction is very important. He also needs a big damage weapon. Since you're playing single player only, you won't have access to the infinity runeword which gives the Conviction aura, that is very handy for breaking some immunes. One option you do have is try to shop for a wand that has charges of Lower Resists, that could take care of some immunes, maybe something with charges of Amplify Damage to help your merc. Other than that, you need good teleporting skills, since you'll want to skip areas that are heavy with cold immunes.

I really feel that dual elemental sorceresses are much easier and less frustrating to play, sure you lose some raw damage, but Frozen Orb and Meteor can still kill very efficiently with some decent +skills. Optionally you can target good Magic Find areas where there are no Cold immunes...Ancient Tunnels in act 2 is a good place, I think.

6. Zoheret

Zoheret IncGamers Member

Hmm... Static... now that's awesomely cool, I never even looked at the lightning tree before. I may have to try putting one point there and see how that goes :)

Thanks!