Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Sorc Ever, Please Answer.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by TeKmInIbI, Mar 22, 2005.

1. TeKmInIbI

TeKmInIbI IncGamers Member

First Sorc Ever, Please Answer.

Hi,
    Im currently building a Meteor/Orb Sorc and haven't built one since last patch =/

Skills:
    20Meteor
    15Fire M.
    3Warmth
    10FireBall
    20Frozen Orb
    12 Cold M. (Only 12, because with Shako+Maras+Soj will bring it to lvl17)
    1 Shiver Armor
    1 Static
    1 Teleport

Gear:
    Shako (PTopaz)
    WizSpike (IO - +10Vit)
    Tals Armor (Thinking -req but not sure, 84Str isnt that big of a deal is it?)
    Whitsans (Eld - so only 143Dex req)
    Soj
    20Dex Frost
    Tals Belt (20dex)
    Maras (20+Resist)
    War Trav's
    MageFist
    1 Anni (13stat/20resist/8exp)
    Lidless/CTA (Switch)

Charms:
    29 x 7%MFSC
    1 Tomb of TP
    Rest is for drops. (8spaces)

Merc:
    a1 rogue:

'nef' goldstrike
    tals mask (15resist)
    skullders (Ptopaz)

Anyways i wanted to know if this build would work well against bosses (Pindle, Shenk, Eldritch, Diablo, Baal, Andy etc) as i plan to give to my little brother when finished so we can do MF runs 2gether.
    I followed sasja's Guide on Meteor/FO and thought the dmg etc would work quite well. (I used the skill planner to figure it out)

lvl 25 Meteor : 5177-5454
    lvl 15 FB: 1367-1595
    lvl 25 FO: 340-357 (although i dont see and increase in dmg from CM, so i calc'd what i believe is what it should be doing: 680-714 [am i right?])

The ONLY problem i see so far with this build is that my Vit is gonna be quite low, i calc'd around 250Vit base at lvl 80.. which doesn't give me much life atall right?
    Can anyone suggest things that may help my build for when we MF?
    Is their anything im doing wrong here? I REALLY want this build to succeed the first time, as im spending runes to get the char made for me [im lazy =(]

I figure that a Nef goldstrike will be perfect for against bosses, as the merc will shoot fast and KB opponents, which will help me kill faster.

Also, if you think this build is horrible please direct me to a build that would work for my specific needs (MF'ing shenk/eld/pindle/baal/diablo etc),
    Thanks ALOT,

EDIT: Does being frozen slow your cast rate or teleport rate (is R.frost worth using) or should i use Wisp with 75%Resist all?

2. TeKmInIbI

Bah, can't edit...
    Anyways, i was sitting and thinking about a diff setup gear-wise and was wondering if it'd work better than my last at a cost of %MF.

Gear:
    Occy (15resist)
    Tals Ammy
    Vipermagi (30%+ / 15resist)
    'Um' Shako
    1soj
    Magefist
    R.frost
    Whitsans
    Tals belt
    Travs

This would give me 75%resist all, but like +4more all skills...
    Which if im right, would increase my dmg like this:

Old:
    lvl 25 Meteor : 5177-5454
    lvl 15 FB: 1367-1595
    lvl 25 FO: 340-357

New:
    lvl 29 Meteor : 7198-7541
    lvl 19 FB: 2126-2424
    lvl 28 FO: 384-403 (although i dont see and increase in dmg from CM, so i calc'd what i believe is what it should be doing: 768-806 [am i right?])

Which setup would work best?

3. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

I would have the 2nd set-up on all the time, and have the first set of gear handy in the stash, so if you ever wanted to go MF'ing you wouldn't have to xfer gear back and forth.

Also being frozen doesn't affect your cast rate. So if you cast at 9 frames, if your frozen you'll still cast at 9 frames.

Hope I helped a little bit.

4. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

Hey,TeKmInIbI welcome to the dark side! :D I'd guess you don't remember me, but I used to be in 76 legit. Anyways really if you want a MF sorc I'd go with this setup (obviously you can afford it)
    Shako (ptopaz'd)
    Occy (isted)/// for fast teleporting wizspike
    Upgraded mosers (2 pdiamonds)/// for fast teleporting lidless or spirit
    *remember to switch when you get to to dur 3 or cats 4*
    Wartravs/2 pnagles/pchancies
    for belt/ ammy you want tal's belt/ammy
    You'll be sitting with sweet MF w/o any charms, on the switch enough FCR to break the 105 FCR rate, and huge resists... with the occy/mosers you can easily tank meph (moat trick takes more time)
    I run over 600MF (with charms) this way, and usually can get meph AND andy dead within the 3 minute timeframe.

5. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

welcome to sorcery 101.

here are my thoughts on your build.

1. 1 in warmth. its just not worth any more points than this. it never will be (it used to be though...) this will give you extra points to put in FM or fireball.

2. use the oculus, it has +3skills, +20vit (double what your io'd wizspike would have) 50%mf...its just better. (this assumes you can get one...although its not too hard these days) this means 3 less points need in cold mastery which can go into fire mastery or fireball.

3. forget the eld in your whitstans guard. the required dexterity for max block with this shield is ridiculously low already (not to mention you have +40 dex from ravenfrost and tals belt) and you are hurting for resists. in fact i think its NEVER worth it to eld a shield for any character. really in the end its only gonna cost you like 20something life to not eld it.

4. tals armor definitely wants a ptopaz. its requirement it absolutely irrelevent since you are wearing war travelers (which have +10 str and a 95 str requirement).

5. its already been mentioned...with tals belt and tals armor, go with tals ammy. always have matching accessories... :D

6. i disagree with the fellow that advised to shove resistance jewels and ums in all your gear. while that is really effective defensively, a pure mf sorceress can get by with mid resistances. although maxed is nice, i just feel that my mf charcters can get by with less costly alternatives... if youre really hurting for the resists though, i suggest just changing shields...upgraded mosers, and stormshield are good options.

7. i think the minimum goal for a sorceress is about 800 life. more than this and you can sustain a hit or two which is usually good enough. however you have a rogue merc who will not tank for you (do you plan to tank for her?) i seriously suggest going to an act2 might merc. or maybe defiance or holy freeze. in any event, they will help you get away with less life.

8. also tend to think that mf gear on a mercenary is a waste (people will disagree) but are you really gonna wait for your merc to kill something? it also tends to make them more vulnerable. i usually go with the tried and true shaftstop. the sorceress needs someone to take a beating while she rains meteors.

9. remove any notion of cold armors from your head. they really make very little difference. your defense will be hovering under 2000, (maybe 1600-1800) with your equipment and cold armor might increase it to 3000 or something but in all honesty that will make a tiny dent in a bosses chance to hit you. real defense doesnt get going until you hit 5 digits and that requires things like holy shield, iron skin, and ethereal equipment. another point for fire master or fireball! (actually two or three...which one is shiver armor? ha :D )

10. count your +skills carefully! you forgot anni when you originally posted. (so you had +6 rather than +5 skills)

*edit* lol i assumed the second post was some helpful person's advice, but it was you again. well again i think shoving all the pricey resistance jewels in your equipment is not really worth it. its definitely effective though.

6. TeKmInIbI

Ok, well thanks for the help.
    I think ill continue with the 2nd build as it does quite a bit more dmg, and still gives me the two things i wanted most to survive (max block and max resists)
    I really don't want to be grabbing my corpse every run, i want this character to be good all around.
    Any suggestions on diff skills or the build im doin is fine? (remember i want to fluently kill most bosses, although from what i see i dont think baal is an option)

What about merc's? last patch when i built this, my bow merc with KB was extremely helpful and would add to my mf also, but now that the monsters have become tougher i was thinking maybe an act5 merc with eth.fury BB etc

So what should i be putting in my whitsans? maye a shael (does that do anything, or only for PvP)

IF i got more questions, ill be here all day so ill keep asking

Thanks for your guy's input, like i said its my first sorc ever this patch.

7. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

For a merc, get an Act2 NM Defensive, aka Holy Freeze merc. Slap on a Shaft/Gaze/Reapers and you have a tank for life. And the holy freeze helps in slowing down monsters so you can pummel them with meteors. ;)

8. AnInsaneBanana

AnInsaneBanana IncGamers Member

Also, go with full tals. Unless you are gonna go with super omega runewords (Chains/Hoto/etc/), then Tals is a better choice. See this guide:
    http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=151250

It shows how tals is better.

Yeah. Other than that, pretty good.

9. TeKmInIbI

So full Tals give 65%Resist all/ 50%Fcr?!?!
    WOWow i shouldv tried that first... then all i need for Fcr is Magefist..sweet
    Thanks for the input, i think im liking the cheap Tals for this =P

10. parkerbsb

Yeah the best merc if you can afford it, is a a2 (HF) merc with chains/infinity/Crown of ages
    you get a insane damage boost from his conviction aura. Or the above mentioned gaze/shaft/reapers toll if you can't afford the other alternative.

Tals > pretty much every other setup out there... for a sheild I'd suggest not a whitstans, but a upgraded mosers with 2 pdiamonds (or UM's if you can afford). There you go max resists, decent cast ( I was under the impression that tals gave you 50 FCR, so magefists/fcr ring would be needed... but I'm more than likley wrong) max block and still pretty good damage.

If you are NL then most of this post is worthless :D

11. FlyingPerson

FlyingPerson IncGamers Member

I thought you said this build is for 2gether mfing...then why dont u put all mf gear on this char? Let the other one do all the killing. All you need to do is the last hit with meteor/fireball/orb. All you need to do for this char is running around, throwing some orb or meteor, teleport (if ur other char cant).

I would prefer the following gear (when you are not the main force for killing):

Rhyme: Cannot Be Frozen, 25MF, 25 All Resist(It also has 40FBR and
    20Increase blocking, regenerate mana 15%)

Shako with PTopaz: 74MF and +2skill

Tal Armor+Belt+Ammy: 168MF and +2skill, All Resist=40 (and extra 33 Lite
    Resist)

Chancies: 40MF

War Trav: 50MF

2Nagel: 60MF

Oculus: 50MF and 20 all Resist, +3 skill

In total, you can get +7skill, 85 Fire,Cold resist and 118 Lite resist, but 467MF
    with all 29 7%mfsc, it will be 670 MF.....

on the other side, if this sorc just as a following MFer, all you need is max all fire skill and their synergies, and few points in static field.(At least the monster you mention are mostly wont be Fire Immune, even they did, a distanced static field should work well for other char who is doing the killing job)

For the gear I suggest, as long as your little brother dont play Hell alone, he will be fine for sure.

12. parkerbsb

Flying, you forgot to ist the occy and I think ptopaz the tals armor. Also if you drop out the rhyme for a 2 pdiamond mosers (upd) you can still get max block easily and have close to max resists (missing poison... bleh who cares?)

You'd loose out on 25 MF, but since the topic creator wants to be survivable as well I'd say 25 MF < block/resists.

Also you want to at least break the 63% FCR rate (105 is much safer for teleporting thru dur2 tho). Those stygnian doll really are annoying to keep ahead of otherwise.

Also Tek, a tip I got from someone on this board, if you are bringing a merc along, take his weapon away from him until you get to dur3... the dolls hurt when they kill, so if he doesn't kill'em you should do fine

13. TeKmInIbI

O_O good thinking, anyone know how much dex a lvl 80 sorc would need for up'd mosers? (max block)
    Am i right about tals set? 50fcr (the tals set bonus) + magefist is enough?
    Thanks again, she's slowly coming along now =P

14. parkerbsb

63% FCR is the breakpoint, so you'll need to get a FCR ring too :(

And not 100% sure on the block, I'm pretty sure there is a blocking calc somewhere I just don't have time to find it