Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Near Death Experience

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by JernFist, Mar 29, 2009.

1. JernFist

JernFist Diabloii.Net Member

First Near Death Experience

First time playing hardcore. Maggot lair on nightmare.

I spam fireball with my sorc without thinking and suddenly I'm left with only a sliver of life! Run away and go back to see what it was so I'll know in the future. Scarab with fire enchanted+stone skin. . I get the SAME THING again on an ordinary scarab nearby, despite the first one not being aura enchanted. Just one fireball and it takes half my life.

Needless to say I was pretty nervous after that. Is this a bug or something?

2. Nighthavk

Nighthavk Diabloii.Net Member

Re: First Near Death Experience

First time and maggot lair nm? If this is untwinked / unrushed, well done mate. Most SC players die to blood raven in their first try. q:

Beware of FE in NM. They're still dangerous in Hell, but they're bugged in nm such that they can one shot kill you. FE LE (Most scarabs are) is the most dangerous combo too, so be very wary. Just a tip, if you see a FE, make new game. Really.

3. JernFist

Thanks for the compliment, and the advice. I use ATMA as extended stash, otherwise untwinked. I'm experienced enough to not make rookie mistakes :whistling:,but the bugs really scare me.

4. MrBill

MrBill Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't go quite that far, but make sure to stay AT LEAST a half screen away from them, any time that they're possibly going to pop.

Actually the hardest ones to deal with aren't the Scarabs (although they are indeed nasty) -- it's those @#$#@$% little "Foul Crows" and Tomb Leapers, since boss versions of them can spawn FE, fly or hop right next to you, then get poked by your stalwart Mercenary's pole axe... you can guess the rest. The Foul Crows I find are especially annoying because some of them fly very fast and can be next to you almost before you can see them.

If you're doing Maggot Lair in Nightmare, you have to be very careful of FE monsters that "look" like they're around a bend in those narrow, winding tunnels and therefore "look" like they can't affect you. I have had a couple of characters nearly die to FE explosions in circumstances like this, I believe it's some kind of clipping or line of sight calculating bug in the game that caused these near-death experiences.

Well, after all, if there weren't any hazards to it, D2 LoD in Hardcore wouldn't be very exciting, would it?

Cheers

Mr. Bill

5. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Do beware of anything FE enchated in NM .. I lost a level 64 Druid tonight in Nm Baals when that wave 3 hydra casting bastard was Fe/ Le enchanted . He popped and away went 1800 life , actually I deshifted to 1 Hp but the hydras got me before I could heal

I had loot this time but it was indeed annoying ...

6. Kovrizha

Kovrizha Diabloii.Net Member

Was your FR maxed?

7. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Yes I had max all resists , and I was just about to hop into Hell once I hit 67 and eqipped my Windhammer Maul .. Now I get to start all over once again ...

8. Nighthavk

Nighthavk Diabloii.Net Member

This.

I lost my windy to FE yesterday. I didn't even realise it was tagged between all other council mobs (If I did, I'd sure run away and make a new game). I had Cyclone armor which absorbed 1,3k damage, 75 FR, 850 life... It would've taken me around 4,5k damage to die. NM in one person game. I died in one hit.

Whatever you say, such a thing (which is a known BUG) is NOT excitement to HC gameplay, only annoyance. Burning Souls ARE excitement, as are Dolls, same as with Viper Claw Snakes, whose locations are widely known and with tricks in everyones' books on how to deal with them. FE bug is just a dick in the ***.

Seriously, yes you can kill them from distance but there isn't any good reason to stay much long in NM, and not any reason not to run away when you see a FE monster.

9. Raith

Raith Diabloii.Net Member

maggot lair is sooooooo dangerous.

10. BoD Trader

BoD Trader Diabloii.Net Member

Joined aug 2006 and only 7 posts. That's impressive :D

When you say about ur near death. Was it off the FE explosion from the boss or was it due to the lightning blots from it because in certain cuircumstances the light bolts off bosses do rediculously massive amounts of damage. Usually when the boss is FE LE. Best seen in hell baal runs when ur 6k life singer is dead before u know it and the wave 3 minions are just laughing at you.

11. JernFist

Must have been the bolts. My merc killed both of them later while I was outside the screen.