Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

first light sorc, a few questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by moranor, May 5, 2008.

1. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

first light sorc, a few questions

I'm making a pure lightning sorc for the first time and I just have a few quick questions about them =)

1. Pretty much all my sorcs have been block sorcs (used to play HC) so I don't have much experience with vita builds. Will 1500 life be enough (hope to get CtA soon)? And is 1000 mana enough for all those mana intensive skills?

2. How important is 86% FHR?

3. Is Holy Freeze merc the only way to go? More damage with might is tempting!

4. Is +15 skills enough to solo Baal 1 player games, and Nihlathak 8 player games (don't have any skillers)?

5. Is CB useful? I'm thinking about maxing Nova instead.

6. Do I need to switch to G-Bane for Nihlathak even if I just tele and don't run through the clouds?

7. Is 1pt in any cold armor needed?

That's all I think, thanks for your time =)

edit: one more question actually. Is it worth it socketing Shako with a -5/3 facet, or will it make no difference on lit immunes (with inf. merc)?

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: first light sorc, a few questions

a few opinions:

1. yeah, that's enough. could be better, but that's tolerable.

2. For PvM, you can get by with lower. With a Spirit I often settle for 60 FHR (Spirit + 1 small charm)

3. Might will work just fine, as will Defiance. Of course, I assume by "more damage" you're referring to the mercs damage - your sorcs will be the same

4. yes

5. CB is a great act-boss killer. You can get by with lightning for bosses, but Nova really doesn't have a lot of use unless you build around it.

6. dunno - doubt it (what do you really get from G-Bane anyways? CBF? That doesn't affect your casting speed). You might want to look at getting a Nature's Peace ring - I think the 'Rest in Peace' mod means he can't use Corpse Explosion.

7. no. I don't bother with the armours, even on many of my melee sorcs

8. virtually no difference. If you have other "needs" from your equipment, I'd focus on those first.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

Thanks for those answers =)
    Realized I want to hit lvl 93 for crafting so I can max both anyway hehe

Might was damage for the merc ofc :p makes him leech more and live longer. But maybe HF is better

Will probably use Sandstorm which puts me at 75 so I might as well go for it

thnx again =)

4. DayDream

DayDream IncGamers Member

You may want to go might if you are an one element sorc but seeing as how you are a light sorc, I would have to imagine you have infinity on the merc so defiance or holy freeze is best.

5 - CB > nova, cb w/infinity +telestomp on a boss is the fastest boss killing spell.

6 - The g-bane has great dr by x which pretty much halves viper damage. You can actually get by without the use of it.

I'd prefer war travs over treks for pvm considering you don't really need that high of fhr.

the other questions is basically me agreeing with sirpoopsalot

5. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Might > Holy Freeze in this situation IMO. The might helps a lot in getting rid of LI's and takes advantage of the huge physical damage on Infinity.
    Holy freeze... I used it before I used might.

6. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Personally I like holy freeze, greatly increases your survivabilities against the non-immunes. Infinity is a strong enough weapon without might, considering its nice ED and its crushing blow as well.

7. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

If I rehire him his stats doesn't go down right? I think I'll try both
    And travs give str and vit too so I think I'll try them

thnx for the help =]

8. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

What does holy freeze have to do with my survivability vs non-immunes? I never come into melee and when I get hit by ranged attacks enough I just swallow a full rejuv. With maxed res, 2000 hp and some (m)dr here and there, the only thing holy freeze will do is delay the time it takes before I'll need to take one. Which is moot, since all it requires is a punch on 1/2/3/4 and I already got enough rejuvs as it is without your HF.

Might speeds things up by killing the things you can't kill more quickly. Infinity is nice on its own yes but the high base damage makes it perfect for Might. The high ED you speak of only speaks in favor of (and not against, as you seem to try to point out) my point because might ed is multiplied by base dmg * weapon ed - not added up to weapon ed.

Might on the merc of a light sorc becomes even more effective if you don't already use forti on your merc. I'd even say might is a requirement in that case, not in the least to make full use of infinity's potential on mercs. Besides that you just need the huge amount of physical damage to quickly take care of for example archers in the pits, or the typically two or three heavily hp'd LI's per diarun.

HF is more for meteorbs, which are typically worse equipped/weaker sorcs with more need for survivability but with a lack of need for another type of damage output.

9. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

I do have a forti on him (non-eth though). I tried the gear on my ama's merc and the dmg only went from 6k to 8k when might triggered. Is the merc's character sheet also lying?

btw, I think being able to tele close to monsters (which you can with HF) is nice because it makes conviction more immediate (merc doesn't have to run up to mobs). And it helps his survivability too. Going to try might too though

10. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Is a case of try-and-see for yourself really. I used to like HF, then I switched to Defiance and found it a bit better. HF has a delay each time you teleport before it triggers that is annoying. Also, some monsters can't be frozen like Frenzytaurs and some times merc simply won't activate the aura. Defiance is specially better if you teleport most of the time. Against bosses neither of them are effective I think.
    moranor your merc only got 2k additional damage because you are already using Fort, which gives 300ED. So Might will only add another 200ED. The same will happen with defiance, to a degree because he's already getting additional defense from Shiver Armor.

One thing you can try until you get Infinnity is Snowclash belt. It gives both Frozen Armor and Glacial Spike, which can be useful in some situations against immunes.

11. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Well, the aura not activating happens with basically all act2 merc auras, so thats not a criterium.
    I don't know what to think of defiance... I suppose it can be good, when it's helpful. My merc doesn't need it because he has enough defense wearing forti. And I myself don't need it either because 1500 base def is not going to skyrocket anytime soon... I do see defiance's use on some mercs, for example with a casting paladin or maybe with a bear that relies on fireclaws or smth. Then again I would say that for defensive measures, holy freeze might be generally superior...