Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First kill blues

Discussion in 'Classic' started by SiTro, Aug 31, 2006.

1. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

First kill blues

Hey, not a regular poster in this forum, more often found in the SPF, but one of my current characters is a Classic HC necromancer, and has been giving me some gyp recently. He's managed to reach Act II Hell so far, but seems unable to progress further at the moment.

He's a summoner, at level 63 his main skills are:

Raise Skeleton - 20
    Skeletal Mastery - 20
    Revive - 3

Corpse Explosion - 13

Amplify Damage - 1
    Decrepify - 1
    Attract - 1

Other points put in pre-requisites as needed. He also has one point in each of the golems as well as golem mastery and summon resist. Boosting this is a +2 necromancer skills wand, but no other +skills.

The issue I'm having with the character at the moment is a complete lack of ability to generate an initial corpse, at least it seems that way. I tried using Attract up until now, but the fact that it doesn't just catch the attention of the nearby monsters but also their extended family from a fair distance away is becoming more than can be easily handled now.

I tried returning to Act 1, levelling up there and putting the point gained into Iron Maiden and trialling that, but it doesn't seem to work much better. Any advice on how you go about getting your first few corpses when playing solo?

Edit: Should probably add that I'm more used to playing LoD now and so trying a build I roughly knew from there may not have been the best idea.

2. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

You should put a few points in to bone spear or more into a golem. You could also hire a merc to get that first kill.

3. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

Will a low level bone spear be enough to kill monsters in hell? Or how many points would a golem need?

I'm reluctant to rely too heavily on a solution based on a merc simply because of Act 4 looming (if I get there), where I'll get no help from such a source. Nothing stopping me from using one to get past this point though.

4. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Summoners are difficult to do on classic without the aide of a merc, but possible. I would tend to go with maxing Bone spirt to get first kill, but in your situation that would be difficult. Try using Iron Golem combined with Iron maiden...and hope?

5. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

you mention act 4 looming as a fear, I would be fearing the various physical immunes that get really prevalent in Act2 in crowded places such as maggot lair, not to mention arcane.

I understand the issues, though, and never really found much of a solution for soloing. I have a lvl 80 summoner on non ladder east (Truth, he has dabbled in almost the entire necro tree, but even with his lvl 12 bonespear, it's not easy to make that first kill on the river. to do so, I used to wall the crap out of the entrance by tyreal so I can wail away with spear to get one kill, by then, I'd have to rewall, since it was a weak wall what with so many in summon and synergies, rinse, lather and repeat.

6. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

Boosting a golem for a bit more life to it, and carrying on with the Iron Maiden for the first kills. Also trying to find a wand with +3 bone spear on it - every little helps, right?

On the other hand, just managed to kill Duriel, so am now far past the maggot lair and arcane sanctuary blackspots. Thanks for all advice given. :smiley:

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

You should be able to shop a +2 necro +3 bone spear wand to do some tests.
    Or find one with a +3 Iron Golem and +3 Iron Maiden. That might take a bit of walking back and forth though, so you could consider buying them on seperate wands, a Bone Spear wand, a Iron Golem wand and a Iron Maiden wand. Count on 250k per wand.
    At level 63 you should easily be able to gamble a +1 necro amulet at least. It'll prolly take a mil and a half to get one.

8. Classics

Classics IncGamers Member

Maxing Bone Spirit would be the most efficient way possible. That way you can dish around 600 Spirit damage, which will definently suffice for getting an initial corpse, and you have a backup attack whenever you need to produce a corpse before you start amping + corpse exploding (I hope you're doing this, it makes it much faster. Level 1 all that's required.).

9. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Have you tried to use Life Tap with Iron Golem?