Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First impressions?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Helios1971, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Helios1971

Helios1971 IncGamers Member

First impressions?

I was looking for an archive for the diablo2 forum, and no dice...I just thought it would be neat to see people's reactions to the game when it first came out. Instead, I'll just ask what everyone can remember about their first impressions of the game.

Trying to look back that far, I recall being really dissapointed that the game didn't have the same type of save feature as in Diablo. Once I played multiplayer though, I sort of got the idea they were going for. Also, the sheer size of the game struck me as being amazing. I remember the Arcane Sanctuary reminded me of the Twilight Zone for some reason - maybe because of the music. The first early quests were pretty memorable...thought Charsi' imbue quest was such a great idea at the time. Anyone else?

2. spastik303

spastik303 IncGamers Member

I remember being blown away by the pseudo-3D perspective effect, then turning it off cuz it was too weird to look at and I found it distracting.

The music just plain sucked. I expected the darker moodyness of the original. (IIRC Heroes 3 had come out around the same time and the music for that was simply beyond compare. Had the stuff playing 24/7 in my room.)

The original fear and dark atmosphere had been replaced with cotton candy, happy go lucky mainstream crap. I mean, what's up with those dorky looking litte red guys right outside of town. Am I supposed to feel threatened by that? Oh, and when exactly did porcupines become the fearsome forces of evil!?! Half naked chicks with weapons running at me to try and kill me? Whatever.

All in all I pretty much hated it at first since it was "so different" from the Diablo I had learned to love.

I couldnt believe that Blizzard would have actually spent so much time on a game only to have it suck so bad, so I kept playing, hoping that it would win me over. I eventually got completely hooked again and haven't been able to quit since. :p

The only other games that have ever done this to me were Civilization (all 3 although 2 was the BIG one for me. Damned thing ruined my life.) and Doom 1 & 2.

3. Shrapnel

Shrapnel IncGamers Member

I had a different experience. I first played Diablo II over at a friend's house about right when it first came out. I was astounded by it. I speant hours just playing around with my Necromancer. I never got into Diablo I; the conrols felt too clunky, fighting was too simple and it was overall too repetitive. Diablo II was just fun. I liked the skill system with regenrating mana, variety and the ability to customize characters by boosting skills(it didn't matter that I had little clue what I was doing and put points into whatever looked fun). Once I had the time to plan out characters and explore, I just got hooked, The combat was exiting and all I could think of was how I would tweek current characteres with equipment and leveling, as well come up with ideas for new builds. By the time the initial high of Diablo II started to wear off, the expansion came along.

4. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

I've only been playing about six months so I remember well my first experiances. Two things stand out. One was I thought the learning curve was kind of intimidating. Now of course I play with only an occasional glance at the keyboard. The second thing I remember was actually being scared when encountering new areas. I'd creep along with my heart racing expecting a 30 foot tall monster to pop out and crush me. Now I basically ignore monsters? (Hehe)
    GB

5. Helios1971

Oh, and how about visiting Tristram again? That was sooooo cool! (although I guess really they almost had to put it in there) But I remember thinking, "Oh no! I have to fight Griswold? Noooooo!"

6. magejames_04

magejames_04 Banned

I remember the run speed i was like thank god no more 5 mins walk across town :)

7. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I still hate the saving system in D2. I want all monsters I´ve killed dead and all items exactly where I left them, dammit! :teeth:

8. Helios1971

Yeah, running was the best thing they could have. I remember wishing it had Doom Knights in it, though. Those guy were cool. I'm trying to remember if any monsters made an impression on me...hmmmm...Duriel was pretty scary. The vipers were a pretty neat touch, too. I like that they didn't rely on the usual Tolkien-based RPG monsters.

Except giant spiders. I swear, every RPG out there has some sort of legal obligation to put giant spiders somewhere. Even KOTOR, fer cryin' out loud.