Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Hell Ancients Experience

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by My_Immortal6, Mar 29, 2004.

1. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

First Hell Ancients Experience

Well I've never been this far in the game before. My Frostmaiden Porphyria spent an hour or so yesterday trying to best the Ancients, without success. The main problem I think I have is that my mercenary dies in about 2-4 seconds, and my Valkyrie can't keep all three of them occupied while I shoot them. So, my merc's (might) gear is: Stealskull, Reapers Toll and Nat's Armor. Any ideas?

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

KnB and slow maybe.

3. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

Make sure you keep your Valk and decoy between you and them and recast em right before they die. Ancents less likely to target you that way.

4. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

My_Immortal6

If all else fails, run. Get fast boots, run in a square pattern around the stone circle and when you get far enough ahead turn and shoot. It may take hours but you can do it. I know!

5. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

The merc is probably a lost cause. I've never had one survive a solo Hell Ancients that wasn't riding heavily on the coattails of a sorc's teleport. I would suggest either prevent monster heal or OW (which prevents monster heal and then some). I think Riphook (or some such) bow has that mod. swap between that and your regular bow if you have it stashed somewhere. Also, blackthorne's face is good for slowing 20%, and you'll want knockback and slow and you can get those with Clegal's Claws. (not sure if the slow from that stacks with Blackthrone's...).

Anyways, good luck and just keep chipping away at them :) .

6. Darkwell

Does knockback/slow work on the ancients? I have a 'Passion' diamond bow and monster flee/hit blinds target don't work.

7. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Knockback does NOT, but slow does.

crg

8. Darkwell

Thanks Crg. My rogue merc has a 'nef' GS and though she doesn't live long, she can get off a dozen or so shots and I've never seen an ancient knocked back.

And to My_Immortal6, take 10,000 arrows with you. I know the 'Horror' of not having enough. If I'd only taken my witch bow. 'sigh'

9. allio

allio IncGamers Member

My hammerdin's merc survived the Hell Ancients. I probably gave him four fat purples in total, but he was still standing when the last one bit the dust. His gear was nothing special, either... Upgraded Spire of Honour, Shaftstop and a Tal's mask. I was expecting the worst after stories I've heard of the 1.10 ancients, but I never really came close to dying. Maybe they just rolled the perfect mods the first time, or maybe it's just the strength of the hammerdin.

Oh well, guess I'll get a wake-up call when I try it with my hammer bear ;)

10. My_Immortal6

Is the main danger in what they spawn with? Such as auras?

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Ancients spawn with rares, making them possibly rediculuously hard. They also can spawn with tough mods. FE, Auras (HF, Fanat, Might all ring a bell), extra fast, extra strong. In a nutshell, this IS the toughest fight you will have all game.

crg

12. My_Immortal6

I think that green aura is dangerous too, the one that lowers your defence. So do you just litter purples around the field, check the mods and tp out if they are FE or whatever?

13. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

my barb destroyed the hell ancient (i love barbs) merc took a couple of purples to get through it though- but my rolls were as follow- two fire enchanteds, and ur the normal mods- no nasty ones at all :thumbsup:

14. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

give your merc a good amount of Life Leech and PDR... my merc wear most of the time a shaftshop combined with a crown of thieves or a gaze..

when i encounter the hell ancients, in 1.10 i ALWAYS put the player setting to 1 if im doing them alone, my merc never dies... just give him a purple once in a while if he needs it.. Open Wounds and Crushing Blow do wonders against the HP bar of those old guys

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Isn't that an oxymoron? Are we telling the truth MF?

crg

16. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Guess fire enchanted never works for everyone around here. But still i play SC so i guess fire enchanted do not hurt much except it pisses me off

17. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I've never had any real problems with Hell Ancients in 1.10, I suppose I've been lucky in the 3 times I've fought them I've never had an aura spawn and only one FE, which was with my meteor/orb sorc so just merc tank and stand back and orb.

I believe the trick is patience run around and around the edges of the mountain till you seperate the 2 melee critters (Korlic and Talic??) then lead one till he's positioned behind a pillar so the other (Mardwac??) throws his axes into that not you then hammer away. He should be no problem for you and your merc to take down. Then you can either try and lure the second melee back or sneak to Mardwac and kill him. He dies relatively quickly but has a tendancy to run and attract the other meleer. So I generally take down both melee ones first.

Of course it takes time to seperate them, and it pays to be patient till you get them properly seperated. I also generally decide if my merc goes down I'm heading back to town unless the battles all but over.

And heck I couldn't bear the thought of running out of arrows with the end in sight.... that would be terrible!!!

18. My_Immortal6

To make this thread a little more interesting, how about recounting your first Hell Ancients experience in 1.10. :)

19. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

one idea ?

poison charms, CB and open wounds

mix all with magic arrow or guided arrow. keep mana for summon all the time a valkyrie.

use a second weapon with low resist or decrep.

take the time.

first meet with 1.10 . it was with one overlord. stay 10 squel at the end of fight, no comment.

last meeting : about 2 hours with an assassin. long , very long ...

20. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I haven´t reached that far in 1.10 yet (my most senior character is about to enter Hell Crystalline Passage). Have the Ancients been beefed up significantly since 1.09 (even if you don´t count the FE bug)? If so, in what ways? I suppose their weapons can be a lot beefier, since they are rares, right? And I suppose life steal is nerfed also.

I had major trouble with all my 1.09 characters against them. Hardcore, my score is 1-1 in that version.