First HC Sorc for MF/Grail

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm thinking of starting a HC Sorc for MF/Grail runs and in general see how far I can make it. She would be self found as I don't have any other HC characters right now. I would run Single Player with Rune Word Mod and GoMule.

I really need advice though what build to use for leveling. Eventually I would switch to a Blizzard build around level 50 maybe. Do you have any level break points for when you jump to different difficulties, etc? Preferred resistances for HC before you jump to hell? Any advice would be appreciated.

PS I'll be lucky to make it to through Diablo in normal, I have played very little HC.

Attempt 1: My HC Sorc made it to level 13 and perished in the barracks. It was my fault I had set the game to players 4 and got surrounded with no escape skill and no aoe stun.

Attempt 2: So far I'm level 11, using Ice Blast and i'm grinding some runes from countess until about level 12 or 13.

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Specs can play through as pretty much anything. Personally I like FO/CB, FO/Hydra or just blizzard. Respect as a guardian. You can easily just go blizzard.

Regarding resists, I like my resist to be max at all times, at least fire and lightning.

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
My best advice is get early runewords like leaf, spirit sword, insight, lore. Build up your damage and try to get to Hell A1 as fast as you can to farm mausoleum as a blizz sorc. Then go to A2 for Ancient Tunnels. That's what I do when i start a new sorc.

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
My best advice is get early runewords like leaf, spirit sword, insight, lore. Build up your damage and try to get to Hell A1 as fast as you can to farm mausoleum as a blizz sorc. Then go to A2 for Ancient Tunnels. That's what I do when i start a new sorc.
And qbug andariel to farm her, she can drop everything a happy soso needs :)

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure if fireball would be better than ice blast for leveling, I guess it doesn't matter. Two HC questions:
1. Do you focus on Shiver Armor keep shiver armor up while leveling?
2. What FCR break point do you target for HC? It seems like teleport speed is critical to keeping you alive.

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
Key things for HC.
Have some FHR
Don't telestomp. EVER
105% FCR should be easy to get with easy finds.
Also, be prepared to lose your first sorc. I lost two sorcs in AT before I stopped doing things like telestomping/being overly confident.

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry one more question. I've never been a fan of blocking and sorcs. Do you guys go max block with your sorcs in HC?

Gino

Diabloii.Net Member
i did once, haven't done it since. If you make a LK sorc it's wise to do it with stormshield and max block. Not sure about others. Try it, if you don't like it respec.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I go max block, the life return isn’t great on a sorc. I only go block with certain shields though, Whitstans for example, Moser’s. Something with a fast block.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
For me the main selling point not to go max block is a Spirit Shield. Next to the awesome stats it already has, the 55% fhr makes such a big difference. It's hard to fit in fhr in other gear slots without sacrifing much killing power, whereas Spirit provides incredible fhr next to more killing power. The big str req is offset partially by the 22 Vita on it.

So basically I prefer to have more hitpoints and fhr to be able to take that hit when it comes through (and even with max block, some hits do get through) and then get out fast, instead of hoping on high block to keep me safe. But it's up to personal preference obviously.

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the info guys.
@Kitteh Good info max block with high block shields.
@T72on1 Good counter point on the spirit shield having 55 FHC and 22Vit, the monarch does have a rough str requirement.

So my first HC sorc made it to level 13 and perished in the barracks. It was my fault I had set the game to players 4 and got surrounded with no escape skill and no aoe stun. Lesson learned. I will try again tonight.

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh will likely be posting his awesome spreadsheet for character durability at some point. suffice to say that, unless you're an expert player who never blind-teleports, you need max block or youre gonna rip in hell.

Smittyphi

Diabloii.Net Member
Quest bug, meaning it will always treat her as a first time kill. The first time you kill a boss they have something like double the item drop chance over their base drop rate.
:Headdesk:

Is it Monday? I saw "qbug" and thought, "qb" "ug"