First HC character, safest?

agentbilly

Diabloii.Net Member
First HC character, safest?

I wanted to create my first HC character. Been playing the game for a long time (actually highest i have had is like 35, and stopped playing HC) But with all the recent bots and everything I wanted to try again. For my first character I wanted one that would be safe and I dont have to worry about always thinking about alt F4 in order to not die. Here are the three I was deciding between, (let me know if there are other suggestions)

zealadin

hammerdin

summon necro

I want the character that is least likely to die, i.e. when stepping through tp's as well during baal runs etc (even when tp's are ugly). Thanks!!

xXxGrimmxXx

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: First HC character, safest?

I think Concentrate Barbs make pretty nice tanks, and if you're afraid of entering a dirty TP, go to a random WP, BO, and then enter. Sorry I can't elaborate more, but that's my opinion. Not sure how they are untwinked.

Oldih

Diabloii.Net Member

You can make almost any char safe (atleast for normal public games) by farming enough pgems and making the following:
3sock mask (low str req and defence can screw itself 90% of the time) with prubies and 3sock breast plate\similiar with prubies. The +236 to life bonus (combined with highish vitality and possibly some low-level lifecharms) you gain is generally speaking makes it near impossible to die unless you got cursed, your game\PC is lagging and you were standing in middle of extra fast\extra strong and aura enhanced monsters. Triple this for a character who has sufficient\max block for low levels. Ancient's Pledge or 3xpdiamond shield are also useful early on to balance your resists.

Only problem with that is that 6xprubies might be bit of waste and once you try to swap gear you need to remind yourself that your lifebulb will be greatly reduced, so you might want to consider getting lifecharms to balance it out before doing that and obviously if some high level PK comes around you're beter off making ninjadisappearance :p

agentbilly

Diabloii.Net Member

sounds good. The main thing im worried about is resists and just really bad packs waiting at a tp. Or do most people that do hc baal runs not make extremely dirty tp's

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

run with people you know and/or people who password games. also dont be the first one through tp, easy as that. if you must be early, i'd also recommend a barb. i'd chose a zerk barb with it's naturally high damage and maxed howl over conc, but it's preference.

agentbilly

Diabloii.Net Member

run with people you know and/or people who password games. also dont be the first one through tp, easy as that. if you must be early, i'd also recommend a barb. i'd chose a zerk barb with it's naturally high damage and maxed howl over conc, but it's preference.
would you suggest frenzy or ww? for physical dmg on top of zerk. Also is howl really good? or just used for croud control?

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

i'd use conc, but i'm a bit biased against ww and frenzy. conc requires no more skill allocation and has the same ias breaks that zerk has.

howl is that great, i still think of it as half the reason to play zerk. you get a great crowd control skill and a synergy to your main attack.

agentbilly

Diabloii.Net Member

sweet, does anyone have a guide or link to a guide for a zerk/ concentrate? barb for hardcore? with gear suggestions and skill allocation? :) i know that is asking a lot.

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd recommend a windy or summoner if you want safety.

Wind Druids have innate elemental immunity, high life,a summoned tank (grizzly), and the ability to kill even with bad item luck.

Summoner necromancers have tons of minions to act as a buffer. If you summon your army before taking a TP (go to a WP you have; kill a few things; raise them) only piercing attacks like javelins or gloams can kill you. For play outside of trapped portals, a summoner is extremely safe (even while dirt poor).

Barbs in general are very item-dependent, making them a bad choice if you're brand new to hardcore. Berserk and concentrate will kill very slowly with a shield and mediocre weapon, while 2H untwinked barbs have resist issues that will frustrate in HC. Howl/warcry are great crowd-control skills, and I'd suggest a build that incorporates them if you do go with a barb: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126634