Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First edition vs. 3.5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

First edition vs. 3.5

Over the past 18 months I've been working off and on to write a killer D&D module. Slight problem here, I've been using first edition rules and the guys who are going to play this one are using 3.5 rules.

What I need to know is how much of a problem is it going to be to modify this from first edition rules to 3.5 rules? I've kept the minute details to a minimum to allow for the players to have maximum freedom to completely change the plotline.

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Ack, 3.5 is the suck! I always played either 1st edition or 2nd. 2nd is the rock! I seem to remember 3rd edition being more of a 'rules lawyer' version than 1st or 2nd edition.

As long as you're not getting into minutiae, it shouldn't be a big problem. There may be the need to make some extra checks and whatnot. If the cats are used to 3rd edition rules, they'll let you know if you've screwed up royal. Just use DM's discretion and get a copy of the manual ahead of time!

Smeg (As DM): Say, would you get me a beer?
    Player 1: No way! Get it yourself.

5 minutes later

DM: You open the door slowly and silently, as befitting an elvish thief. As you enter the dimly lit room, you fail to look up, as you've been concentrating on the chest in the center of the room. A black pudding falls on you. Player 1 make your save.
    Player 1: Woo hoo! 20!
    DM: Oh, not quite. Sorry. While the others try and raise you, get me a beer.

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

That's why you ALWAYS bribe the DM :drink:

Since you know...

The module starts off with you being a 0 level character. A bunch of Norsemen raid your town and take you and 20 others captive. (up to 20 people are welcome to join the game) After a month of being a slave and rowing your butt off, the Norsemen are ambushed by an adult white dragon. The fleet sinks, the players survive (the leftover of the 20 die). You're now wet, tired, injured on a beach. A single Norseman is alive and begins to wake up. What do you do?

The basic storyline is to take warning of an attack to a fortress based on Helm's Deep. Then survive the battle. Along the way the characters evolve into whatever class they are basically played as. It's one hell of a way to develop the characters much more fully and requires skilled players in order to be successful.

4. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Oh... it´s always the evil, brutish Norsemen, isn´t it. I´m deeply offended :grrr:

Seriously though... 2E is the stuff.

You should check out Planescape if you haven´t already Smeg. It´s without a doubt the coolest campaign world ever. Just a tip.

5. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I can't rightly ignore my heritage can I? Half Norweigan and half a mix of Swedish, German and Dutch. Most of that Swedish.

6. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Well, I haven't played 3.5 since I quit the game a few years ago. But it could be a fair amount of work for you. NPC's may take a while to detail.

I played and DM'd for 21 years and wrote a lot of modules/storylines for my Ravenloft campaign especially. Undead rock.

Have fun!! :thumbsup:

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

NPC's are easy to do. They get a name, a job and some important detail.
    Such as the armorer is having an affair with the wife of the foregate guards.
    Or the seamstress is in reality the head of a witches circle. They intend to pull down the lord's cleric advisor because they want one of their cronies to be the advisor. And so on.

I don't know how either of those cold be exploited right now. But the guys who will play this are some devious SOBs. They'll find a way