Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Firewall / frozen orb sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by miccer, May 7, 2008.

1. miccer

miccer IncGamers Member

Firewall / frozen orb sorceress

Hi everyone,

why does no-one ever use firewall as main attack anymore? It got nerved or something?
    I'm looking for a mf sorc build, primarly focused on andy / memph / pindle runs. I will use my defiance merc or might merc to tank mobs and to keep them from moving so firewall can do max damage. frozen orb can be used to kill fire immunes.
    I was thinking about the following build :

1 point in all prerequisites
    1 point in shiver armor
    1 point static
    1 point teleport
    1 point in warmth
    20 firewall
    20 fire mastery
    20 frozen orb
    20 ice bolt
    rest cold mastery

Will this build give me good damage? and how does it compare (looking at damage ) to meteorb / other fire builds?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

2. Nightswipe

Nightswipe IncGamers Member

Re: Firewall / frozen orb sorceress

Is static field really worth putting a point into?

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

It is - you effectively halve the boss HP in no time. Very useful, and also for weakening huge hordes of monsters. For example, Static helps my Meteorb alot in WSK against waves 4 and 5 - those have pretty high HP, and are either fire immune (wave 5), or highly resistant to fire (wave 4). Thus, Orb has to be utilized, but since they have huge HP, halving it in 2 seconds is totally worth it.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

@Nightswipe, like ProfessionalBerg said, Static is simply awesome against high-life opponents. Next time you fight Baal, teleport right on top of him and spam Static ~5 times... you'll like the result (if you don't like the damage you're taking, drink a potion and run/teleport away after that - after all, there aren't a lot of sorcs that want to tank Baal for long). The damage you deal will outweigh the damage you receive.

As a bonus, SF's damage "scales" with more players in the game - so if you get in a game with 8 players, it still cuts through the first 50% of the monsters life just as rapidly as it would in a 1-person game.

Edit: Another bonus is it's use in early-game. The 50% cap is removed in Normal difficulty, so I've never understood people that have a hard time fighting bosses like Duriel - simply spam static field and drink potions, and Duriel will be at ~3% life in a couple of seconds. Cast your 'damage' spell a couple times after that, and you've killed Duriel ~4-5 seconds after stepping into the chamber.

The cap is also only 25% in Nightmare difficulty, so you can remove 75% of a monsters life in a few short seconds.

Firewall is still a very viable attack. I've used it as a backup attack on several different builds (Nova/FW, FrostNova/FW, ChainLightning/FW are three off the top of my head), and I've never regretted it once. It's definitely worthwile to put the points into the mastery too - the damage boost is huge, and makes the spell pretty decent against act bosses.

My one suggestion for your planned build would be to possibly spend a few more points into Cold Mastery early on. At least enough to get your cold mastery to level17 (including your +skills from equipment), since those points will boost your (effective) cold damage more than the IceBolt synergy. Also, I'm not a fan of any of the cold armours - at all, but that's just my opinion.

As for how it compares to typical Fireball/Meteorb sorcs...

Positives:
    - since you're spending more points into the cold tree, your Frozen Orb will (on average) be superior. In fact, you might want to consider this as your "primary" attack, with Firewall as the "backup" for fighting cold immunes.
    - Likewise, if you didn't want to use Frozen Orb, Firewall gives you a lot of opportunities to spend skill points elsewhere and still have a viable fire-attack.
    - you don't need good/great/fantastic gear to get good power out of any of your skills
    - you don't need a lot of Faster Cast Rate to be effective (though having 63+ for your teleport speed is always a bonus).

Negatives:
    - if you'd spent a lot of points into a different fireskill, and spent more points into the synergies for that skill (example: fireball, with ~65+ points in your firetree), the overall damage is probably going to be superior with something else (and targeting fireball is easier than targeting firewall)
    - you're stuck with two timered spells. You may find it boring having to stand around for ~1 second between each attack.
    - you're pretty much forced to use a 'tanking' mercenary to help you target Firewall (but it's not really very hard if you cast the firewall where the monsters stand while fighting your merc - it also helps to use teleport to position the merc; monsters die fast once you're comfortable with this tactic for targeting Firewall, and it's pretty safe.) This isn't a serious disadvantage though, since most sorcs will use an Act2 mercenary anyways.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. miccer

miccer IncGamers Member

thanks a lot for the help all. Just wanted to say that, first, i indeed want to use firewall as main attack (want something different and made too many Frozen Orb sorcs already). Second, that gear is no problem; i have access to just about every piece of gear in the game.

I can imagine with great gear and good def merc, taking down mephisto or andy with firewall will be incrediably fast.

If given the fact that i can afford pretty much all gear, someone thinks there are better mf boss sorc fire builds, that make better use of the best gear, please tell me.

6. miccer

miccer IncGamers Member

Also, sirpoopsalot, that nova / firewall build you are talking about sounds interesting. As you said: 2 skills on timers might be boring. Could you tell me more about the build / gear and merc that would make the build strong ? Would be appreciated :cool:

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

You're in luck. I play single-player (and hang around the single player forum a lot), and there's a tradition of writing Matriarch and Patriarch threads for successful (and the occasional "unsuccessful" build :tongue:). All the details you'll probably want to know:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=595701

Note #1: I went 200 Faster Cast Rate with this build. You can probably squeeze more damage from a 105 FCR setup, but I really like the little bit of extra speed (and the huge bit of extra mana from Wizardspike). That fits very well with Nova.

Note #2: This build kicks butt at Countess runs.

Note #3: Actually, I just completed a Nova/Fireball sorc that'll be used for WSK and Baal runs. Another fun build that you might not see a lot of: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=656738

Edit:
    PS. In case you're wondering, the reason I didn't use an Infinity on my mercenary is because I don't have one (and can't afford one). Nevertheless, it would definitely boost your Nova damage a lot if you put one on a merc. The problem would be you'd loose a lot of mana regeneration from the Insight - so you're kindof forced to choose the lessor of two evils (or use the Infinity on your sorc and not have a shield, which is probably the path I'd choose if I had the option).

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. Treguard

Treguard IncGamers Member

All in all it's a great build for mf if your starting from scratch, I've just come back to D2 after a massive stretch on WoW and all my account's expired, i tried a light sorc at first but it was tricky to use for mf without having awsome gear, yes it worked but i couldnt mf andy very welll and they sometimes had immune light monsters that got in the way. So now im being bug rushed and making your build but slightly different.

Instead i won't be investing in shiver armour, i'll make do with frozen armour and save the spare points, you only need the frozen armour to freeze targets as they hit you when you teleport, i love maxing shiver armour for pvp sorc though. Also i will be maxing cold mastery and putting my spare pts into ice bolt last. Glad to see this sorc is still being used, iv'e really missed it!

OLD SCHOOL FTW !!!