firetree question

Nightswipe

Diabloii.Net Member
firetree question

What is the best way to max out meteor/fireball in the fire tree?
I currently have meteor maxed, 12 points in fireball,4 fire mastery and 1 fire bolt.

I've read that it's best to max fire ball before mastery, but what then? points into fire bolt instead of mastery?

Edit : For a more powerful meteor, mastery.
For a more powerful fireball, firebolt.
? If so, which one is best to get more dmg in?=)

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: firetree question

Try playing around with some numbers here: http://diablo2.ingame.de/spiel/skills/calc/index.php?char=sor&lang=en

If you can pre-plan your +skills, you can figure out your "optimum" placement. There's also a guide or two in the knowledge library (I think), but I'm pretty sure that focuses on Fireball and not Meteor.

Generally it is better to spend points in Firebolt/Meteor before the mastery.

However, if you're not planning on using Meteor though, and aren't building a pure-firesorc (20 points in Firebolt, Fireball, Meteor, AND Mastery), then it might be better to focus on Mastery over Meteor.

For example, I'm playing a Nova/Fireball sorc (20 Nova and LM, additional points going towards max fireball damage). After 20 in Fireball and Firebolt, I get more benefit from putting my remaining ~15 points into the mastery (because I don't have to use 3 of those ~15 on the useless prerequisite skills of Inferno, Blaze, and Firewall before I can start pumping Meteor).

Nightswipe

Diabloii.Net Member

not pure, put 20 pt into orb and 7 to cold mastery.
I usually play around with chippydip calculator, but it doesn't seem to be all correct.

Then again, meteor can damage groups and works wonders with slow monsters/fireball the opposite(+ it damages more if spammed)

hard choice this is!

Nightswipe

Diabloii.Net Member

I guess I have to play and wait to put those skill points, I recon fire ball is way more effective in combat and pressed situations, meteor is more of a slow bosskiller right? (except frozen orb seems to do more dmg)

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

inDiablo skill calculator is far superior, in my opinion. Very flexible, provides all synergy info, very descriptive etc.

Nightswipe

Diabloii.Net Member

Chippydip's has never failed me actually. Why don't you trust it?

This is why:
It counts synergies beyond 20 points.
Try put 20 pt in fire bolt,ball,meteor, mastery, then add 1 pt to master, check the dmg on fire ball, then remove it and add it to firebolt instead, it gives fireball less dmg.

Noite Escura

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, it's a bit complicated when you have items that add to a specific skill that synergizes other, but I just remove it when I want to calculate the other skill damage. As a minor advantage though that lets you calculate the Mercs synegies when they go beyond level 20...