Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

firefox

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

firefox

my friends say firefox is alot better than internet explorer

just wondering if any one has it and what they think of it compared to internet explorer

2. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

your friend is a wise man.

3. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Firefox is GREAT. IT has the best pop-up blocking software I've ever seen. In fact, it's so great that I've yet to get ONE popup ANYWHERE, including sites like my local newspaper's website that issue 4 popups at a time with Explorer. If you don't like popups, Firefox is for you.

It also has a number of other benefits, though for me they're nowhere as important as the pop-up blocking so I can't really recall what they are. I've noticed Firefox seems to work on every website I have ever went to, so it's also apparently quite versatile.

4. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

it has some popup blockers, but it's pretty damn good. It's much safer than IE and has virtually the same layout; it even prompts you if you'd like to transfer all your "favorite sites" from IE to firefox when you set it as your default internet browser. IMO, the only excuse not to change is if you don't know it exists.

5. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

thx guys i go get it

i heard u can personlise it is htere alot of options

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

firefox >>>>>>>> internet explorer

7. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I like it a lot.

I still need to trick it out more as I am sure I am not taking full advantage of it.

8. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

Don't miss the Tools->Extensions menu. Extensions are teh win.

9. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

Indeed, firefox rocks. The search engines (which you can add even more) are so useful.

firefox > internet explorer || netscape

10. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I just downloaded it yesterday at GPH's suggestion. If you are accustomed to IE, there is practically no difference; you slide right into using it. Web pages seem to load faster and it's a breeze. Go for it.

11. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

What is an "internet explorer"? Are there shots for it?

Yes, I use firefox - my computer thanks me and so will yours.

Just for you Amra - Secrets of Firefox 1.0. Enjoy. You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the article but it's filled with all sorts of tweaking goodness.

12. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It has a few nice features that IE doesn't, but I don't think it's super-fantastic like everyone else. It has its own problems too.

13. onionfarm

onionfarm IncGamers Member

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Where could I get a copy?

15. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

You can download it from mozilla.org

16. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

Indeed Firefox is great. To me the layout kind of looks better than IE's layout.

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Make sure you look up how to use tabbed browsing, that is the major advantage to FireFox. When I come here to the forums I can click on all the threads I am interested in and while I am reading the first one the others are all loading. The neat thing about it is all of those threads are open in one window, so you aren't hogging up resources by running multiple instances of the browser.

Oh and there is a hack/trick in Firefox to "Speed it up". Don't do it, it doesn't really help. Overall things start showing up quicker, but it actually takes longer to load the page fully.

18. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

I just find it amusing that out of all these people promoting firefox and calling me basically an idiot for not using it (yeah, yeah I have installed it now... ;)) nobody ever states factual arguments other than "It's much better", "It's much safer" and the likes.

So...basically could anybody with some knowledge in this area enlighten me? What, specifically, are the security threats with using IE and how are they avoided by using firefox? And yes, I know I can find all this information by myself but that would mean going through hundreds of pages in order to make sure what I'm reading is not another biased, unreliable, opinion. :p I don't have the time to do that...

To be honest, I really liked my avant so I need good solid facts to stop using it altogether.

19. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

i just got it up and running properly now. Had a tiny problem at start my firewall was blocking it and i did not relise it lol but once i got past that i finally got to see how great it is. The tabs are great
    thx for all the info guys :)

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

IE has around 90% market share right now, this alone makes it a huge target for hackers/spammers/etc. Internet Explorer is also tied directly into the system, when you open a folder on your desktop that is IE. This is why hackers/spammers/etc think its a goldmine. Anything you can do with files(and even some things you can't but the system can) they can also do. This means they can install things at such a basic level no password is needed and even delete files or run programs/scripts.

Internet Explorer has many unneeded holes that allow malicious content to do as it pleases. Firefox covers these holes. Firefox is also not tied to the system, meaning 90% of attacks can't be completed because Firefox can't edit files.

Avant uses the same rendering engine as IE, which means all the unnecessary holes can be used. It also means that Avant is nothing more than a fancy skin for IE, so it is still tied to the system. Avant is nothing more than a glorified toolbar.

Firefox also uses the Gecko rendering engine(the part that makes sense of all the code). Gecko is a heavily modified netscape engine that is 100% compliant with all current standards such as HTML, CSS, Java, etc. Gecko is also open source so it is constantly being updated and when a flaw is found it is patched very quickly.

If you have any other questions, just ask.