Firefox hides taskbar buttons

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
Firefox hides taskbar buttons

Firefox occasionally hides all of the window buttons on the Windows taskbar. It seems to occur when a page opens that has an embedded video, although it only happens with certain pages (most embedded videos don't cause this to happen).

If I alt-tab, it shows all of the windows, and if I alt-tab to one, it re-appears on the taskbar (so FF doesn't actually close any windows; it just temporarily removes them from the taskbar).

Any idea what's going on? It seems to do it on other computers running FF, too. It's not really that big of a deal, but I have no clue why it would do this (I could see having a problem, crashing, and closing all the FF windows, but this is just weird; it hides all of the buttons, not just the FF ones, and no windows actually close).

BTW, I open pages in new windows, not new tabs. I hate tabs (it's harder for me to hit the keyboard shortcuts for them than for windows). If you like them, good for you. But I'm not gonna use them (I did give them a reasonable shot, at least, but ended up going back to windows).

Are you running the newest version?
Do you have any extensions installed?

Did you know you can change the shortcuts for switching through tabs? Windows has problems with large amounts of windows open sometimes, depends on the RAM and what OS you are running. How many windows do you usually have open?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
How is ctrl+t harder than ctrl+n? I like new tabs because it automatically starts with the cursor in the address bar so I can just type in the new address without clicking anything. I've never had any problems with Firefox interfering with anything display-oriented. Maybe it's because of what KOW mentioned about too many windows and low memory.

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
The number of windows doesn't matter. I can have 3 or 20 open and it will still happen. I have the newest version, and extensions don't matter (it happens on a computer with no extensions and my main one which is full of them).

Ctrl+tab is harder than alt-tab; I have to move my whole hand farther. Also, pinky + middle finger (or ring finger) for tabs uses weaker fingers than thumb + ring finger for windows and tires my hand out more. Finally, I prefer alt-tabbing because it just shows the titles; flipping through lots of pages to get to one just annoys me (it's like looking at a page-sized <blink> tag; may all <blink> tag users burn in hell).

Ctrl+n also puts the cursor in the address bar, BTW.

Hmm, looks like nobody else has this problem. Oh well, at least it's fairly rare. I'll have to look into changing the keys for using tabs, as that's the main problem I have with them (new tabs definitely load faster than new windows, so that's a plus, and might overcome the blinking annoyance).

Thanks for the ideas.

You have to use an extension to remap the tabs, right?

Nword

Banned
masterazn said:
Safari is better :D!
True on Macs... But only because firefox can't do this on macs *shrug* (it displays only text instead as far as I could figure... didn't care enough to look into it)

Ctrl+n also puts the cursor in the address bar, BTW.
That's not what its supposed to do, AFAIK... Should create a new window instead. Though I suppose your mentioning of it means you know that's a problem too.

If you weren't getting the same error on multiple comps, I would say reinstall Firefox. I did that for a friend once who used FF despite the fact that clicking on the url box crashed FF (he used google to navigate instead...)

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
Nword said:
That's not what its supposed to do, AFAIK... Should create a new window instead.
Yeah, it does create a new window. :) The point was that creating a new tab puts the focus on the address bar when it does it, but creating a new window does also. Therefore, making a new tab isn't any more efficient in that respect (if you want to type an address right away).

plasmo said:
Yeah, it does create a new window. :) The point was that creating a new tab puts the focus on the address bar when it does it, but creating a new window does also. Therefore, making a new tab isn't any more efficient in that respect (if you want to type an address right away).
Tabs are usually used when opening a link, ctrl+click or right click "open in new tab"

And it is more efficient because only one instance of the rendering engine is loaded into RAM along with all your bookmarks and extensions. All of that stuff gets loaded again for every window. Using Tabs keeps resources free, which would probably help your situation . . .but at the same time eliminate it.

Jonas

Diabloii.Net Member
I've never experienced this problem...I would just check if you have the newest version. Beyond that, I can't say for sure.

BrandonW

Diabloii.Net Member
I have this same problem on a few PCs I have. Seems to be related to loading a lot and taking a lot of processor power or something. It happens temporarily, then once everything is fully loaded, it goes back to normal. I don't think it is a windows thing because I am use only tabs, and it happens to a fast computer the same as a slow one. Hasn't really bothered me yet, so I haven't complained :D