Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Firefox Freezing Thing Pipes or Something

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Apr 18, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Firefox Freezing Thing Pipes or Something

Hey guys,
    Back in a thread a long time ago, someone posted something about increasing the number of data pipes or something and increasing limits about something that would make firefox receive multiple packets at once and thus make pages load faster. Since then, I realized that when I open a lot of pages at once (tabs), firefox freezes all together for a few seconds and then unfreezes with everything loaded. This is annoying when i want to switch windows because...well..I can't as long as it's loading.

Is this the problem or is it something else?

2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You simply shouldn't be surfing so much pr0n on a Windoze computer, FireFox or no. Too many nasties can come through.[/joke] :)

Seriously, you're probably overwhelming Windows on your system. Keep in mind that it really hasn't been an honest-to-goodness multithreaded OS - from what I have read, XP can use Intel processors' multithreading capabilities, but there's still greater reliance on task swapping than with *nix systems. So if you open a bunch of pages all at the same time, you're still having a 'lurch' between downloading all the content and pumping it all through to your graphics processor.

Something you might tweak is to only load images directly from the pages, rather than referrals. That also cuts down on the number of nasties you might get.

3. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

I've had similar situations at my house. I usually try to have 3 tabs open at the most to prevent that, it's annoying but I haven't figured out how to fix it.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Are you talking about the trick where you typed something into the url and then changed a line or two?

If so you are really just bogging down your processor. The trick really slows down loading times as a whole, it just speeds up the time it takes for stuff to start showing up. Instead of downloading all of the page and then rendering(using the least amount of cycles) you are downloading a bit, then rendering it, then downloading more, then rendering it etc.

Undo the trick and everything will be good as new.