Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Firefox 2.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Machina, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

Firefox 2.

Has there been a thread about this yet? If there was I missed it. Either that or it has been out for ages but I've only just noticed it.

Anyway, to those that have downloaded it what do you think to it?

I think it looks a lot better - more polished and professional. I also like the spell checker :wink: poor Dondrei could be out of a job (I don't think I've been caught out yet). The inclusion of little crosses on each tab to close them is also a bonus.

The only problem I have had so far is when trying to flip between tabs when I've just started to load up a new one; there is a slight delay that is kind of annoying.

Link to the download here.

2. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I didn't know it was out
    ~runs off to download it~

3. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I haven't tried it yet, because I'm using FF portable. I've heard that it's slightly faster though, but there seems to be some kind of bug with Ctrl-w behavior.

4. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

I downloaded it a couple days ago. Since its my first experience with Firefox I dunno what the previous versions were like, but I do prefer this to IE. The only problem I found was the hotkey Ctrl+T (to open a new tab) dosen't work all the time.

5. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

It's great so far. However, a lot of extensions are not upgraded yet, so it's still missing a few things, imo.

For example, I can't figure out how to import my bookmarks from my notebook (old version) to desktop (2.0).

Comes preinstalled with Edgy, Ubunut's newest release.:thumbsup:

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Closing the tabs is a tad harder now but the spell checker is sweet. By the time I go to here it's already caught three typos.

Dondrei is so screwed

7. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I had an extension which made it the same as it is now anyway, so I don't mind.

edit: an extension that put a close button on each tab, taht is.

8. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

It seems a bit faster, and the spell checker is quite nice.

I'd recommend it to anyone who used the original fire fox, or even those who just want a good browser.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If only it had a malapropism detector too.

Maybe I'll download it later. Generally my policy is "if it ain't broke don't update it", but Firefox has one or two bugs and I want to see if they're ironed out yet.

10. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I heard it didn't carry a lot of the extensions and customization stuff over, so I think I'll stick with 1.5 for the time being.

11. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

i just installed it on my wife's new laptop...it seems pretty cool. But the lap tap is literally brand new, so there isn't anything to carry over from the older version of FF, so perhaps this is the ideal situation to install with. I like it thus far though...
    And the spell checker is quite nice.

12. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Is this another beta thing? Because I have no interest in beta testing a browser.

13. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

i don't think it is anymore...when I checked last week it still said "Beta." When I downloaded it tonight, I didn't see anything about a Beta release. When I go to About in the Help Menu, is also says nothing about this being a Beta version.

14. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/mozilla-2006-10-24.html

it's the real thing.

15. rare

rare IncGamers Member

it looks nice, ive been too lazy to find a theme i like, but the default one is nice enough.

i got my 2-3 vital extensions back, and it feels slightly faster. downloaded quickly and installed in like 10 seconds.

as for the closing tab things, I think ever since ff1 youve been able to just middle click on any tab and it closed. I had the TabMixPlus extension, so it may have been because of this. Look into it if youre interested, but in FF2 the middle click to close tab thingy is default.

16. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I haven't downloaded it yet. It's part of my plans for this weekend.

I hope the x on the tabs is removable, or I'll be very annoyed. Am I the only one that knew that using a middle mouse button click on them closes them (or on laptops, clicking both left and right buttons simultaneously). (edit: didn't see rare's post)

I may have to wait a while myself, since some of my extensions probably won't work.

It's not completely Firefox's fault that extensions don't work; each extension's coding has a spot that specifies what versions it will run in. This can be changed manually, though is a pain in the butt.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't know about the middle button. Weee!!!

18. rare

rare IncGamers Member

if you like stuff like that, you should get the tabmixplus extension (in a week or so when it comes out for ff2)

you can just leave it at default and its pretty nice. But if you want to customize it you can get it to copy/protect/close a tab with either a left/middle/right click while holding ctr or alt. theres a bunch more options but I forgot them.

you can make it so all tabs reload at some interval of time. every 5-10 seconds..every 10 min..

it used to have the option to undo close tab, but that seems to be default in ff2 so it doesnt really matter.

it also had something to open everything in a new tab, no matter if the link specifically was supposed to open in a new FF window.

btw ctrl+F4 closes tabs, and ctrl+tab cycles through tabs...i know many people may know them but it seems that a lot dont know.

edit: ctrl+t opens a new tab, and theres an extension called answers that allows you to alt+leftclick any word (not even highlight it) and it will bring up a small popup with a dictionary definition of that word. pretty nifty while doing research.

19. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Update on my previous post. (I'll pull a Dondrei... no not spell nazism, post count inflating)

I found how to get rid of the close buttons.

Type: about:config in the url bar
    In the search type closebuttons
    Double click the 1 to edit it, and change it to a 2. (this value results in no tab closing buttons)
    Source: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons

(Obviously, instead of going to bed, I've started getting FF2 up to my criteria...)

20. rare

rare IncGamers Member

why is everyone so angry about those buttons :shocked: