Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

firebolt or firemastery for meteorb

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by crsdawg, Sep 7, 2006.

1. crsdawg

crsdawg IncGamers Member

firebolt or firemastery for meteorb

hey guys, i've got a meteorb sorc i use for mf'ing and i'm debating where to put my last skill points. right now she's maxed out meteor, fireball, frozen orb, w/ enough points in cold mastery to get it past 15 with +skill gear. at 86, i have 13 hard points left, plus maybe 5-6 more coming through lvling.

here's my dilema. i find myself using fireball much more than meteor in normal play(meteor on meph runs mostly). most of the guides i read say go fire mastery with a few in firebolt if you use fb more, but i'm thinking of just putting them all in fbolt. i look at the #'s and for every point i put in fm i gain, comparatively, +2% to meteor, but lose out on +7% fireball(fm gains +7% fire damage all fskills, fbolt gives +14% fball & +5% meteor). then there's the fact that if i get more + skills fm dam will increase, but only hard points into fbolt will synergize.

so my question, am i missing something? is there another reason i should put points into fm besides the +7% fire damage per point? if not it seems better in my case to pump fbolt, and if i want to increase my mastery i can throw on some fire skillers.

2. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

3. crsdawg

crsdawg IncGamers Member

thanks for the link, that was very helpful and the reason i'd been holding off placing those points.

4. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

The first meteorb I created had the following skills in an effort to maximize meteor:
    5 firebolt
    3 cold mastery
    MAX: frozen orb, fire mastery, fireball, meteor

Like you, however, I found myself using fireball far more than meteor.

As a result, in my latest meteorb (I just started on ladder so I needed a new one), I decided to maximize fireball. From the data provided in the link, you are being told to invest 10.5 more points in firebolt than your fire mastery is at when you include your plus to skills. As I have 8-9 plus to skills on my magic finder, this basically means that you and I should be maxing firebolt.

Basically, if you have 22 or more points to split between fire mastery and firebolt, max firebolt and put the rest in fire mastery. Currently I have max firebolt and level 3 fire mastery and am very happy with my skill distribution.

So, it turns out your intuition was right and you should dump all those points in firebolt!

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

No, you want 10.5 more points in synergies. That's Firebolt and Meteor together.
    Assuming Meteor is maxed, you want to keep displayed Fire Mastery level 9.5 points higher than base Firebolt level.

With your +9 skills, that means you should keep them at the same base levels.

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

i agree with this one, any less that around 9-10 points in fire mastery will seriously hurt your firepower, especially for meteor.

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Note to others: if the barrage of numbers in that link is a bit overwhelming for you, the above quote is good to use as a (rough) general rule.