Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fireball Templar Viability in 1.11

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by MadMardigan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Diabloii.Net Member

Fireball Templar Viability in 1.11

Hey all,

The resurrection of Uzziah's Mage Barb thread got me to thinking: Could the Fireball Templar paladin build still be made viable without the charge synergy bug? The original author of the guide was pretty adament about Moonfall and to a lesser extent the +5 firebolt ring being necessary.

This build is one of those that I wanted to try, but never got around to. So will I really need to dual-install 1.10 to have any fun with it?

Thanks!
    ~MM

2. MadMardigan

What, 60+ views and it slips off the front page with no replies?

Nope, not a bump at all...
    Don't know what you're talking about.
    Nothing to see here.
    ~MM:rolleyes:

Oh, and I did already check the Pally forum, there's been no posts about a fireball templar since early last year. And you know how those bnetters are if a build isn't teh ubar roxxor.

3. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

Go try it out and tell us about your results. :grin:

4. neumein

neumein Diabloii.Net Member

Or just use a character editor to whip up a trial character. _If_ it works, make it, if not, consign it to the scrapheap. That's how I got started on my interesting fire-druid idea.

5. Milb

Milb Diabloii.Net Member

Doesn't that spoil most of the fun knowing exactly how well your character is going to do before you start playing them?

@MM: I'm guessing they are still viable (just) but a hell of a lot weaker, if you used Moonfall and a lvl 5 Firebolt ring that would have been +224% damage (I think) so you would be doing about 1/3 the damage of the 1.10 counterpart.

6. neumein

neumein Diabloii.Net Member

Most of the time, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but in this case, you don't want to get a character to level 70-odd, and realise that he can't do anything useful.

7. MadMardigan

Thanks Milb, that's exactly what I was looking for. I might just try this out, and if it turns out to be too too weak I'll have to load up an install of 1.10 (after I figure out how to do it :wink3: )

Oh, and I'd just like to take a moment to be serious, and congratulate everyone here for not jumping all over neumein for all of his talk about character editors lately. Well done <golf clap>. Seriously.

I think the point of this thread is done, but if anyone has any experience with the character post-1.10 feel free to speak up.
    ~MM

8. Fluffballer

Fluffballer Diabloii.Net Member

It depends on how "viable" you want it to be. You can 100% certainly guardian one and it would probably be very safe to boot. If you're using RWM, the pally's easy acess to Spirit will help a lot. You could use some PMH throwing knives on switch.

You might also consider the strength of the firewall/max block combo.

9. skunkbelly

skunkbelly Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure you could "100% certainly guardian one" in 1.11b. Even with +8-10 to all skills, you're going to have:

1. About 400 Fire Ball damage, plus the benefits of conviction.
    2. A rather slow cast rate, unless your gear is very very good.
    3. If you use Spirit for the skills, then you'll have to spend lots in dex to get maxed block... which means fairly low life.

I wouldn't call that a character that would be easy to guardian, by any stretch of the imagination.

10. Fluffballer

You have no where to spend skill points except on safety stuff... I haven't looked at a Trang Pally guide in ages, but the way I'd do it is:

10-20 in conviction, depending on plus skills and what the diminishing returns are
    20ish Holy shield
    20ish RF and RL
    some in redemption, cleansing, RC, salvation, zeal, HS, and whatever.

What that gets you is good defense, at least good blocking - max if you want it, and better than maxed resists. 25% PDR and the 1 point utlility auras make you one tough cookie.

I've got FB (I'd go with 4 pieces for the meteor synergy) doing 704-783 with +8 skills (+10 is max I think), plus conviction, which is more than enough IMO. FW is very powerful as well. This is a char that could easily go melee whenever he wants and have monsters BBQ themselves on a high level FW.

Trang gloves have 20FCR, 30ish from Spirit, and any sort of FCR from a weapon will get you to the next to last casting breakpoint. You could hit the last if you wanted.

I just made all this up on the spot, forgive me if I overlooked something obvious. :prop:

11. FlimFlan

FlimFlan Diabloii.Net Member

What if you went with Dragonscale at level 80 for 15% fire damage and Hydra? I have a Holy Fire pally that I need to get to 80 so he can try this shield out.

12. skunkbelly

skunkbelly Diabloii.Net Member

Unless I'm mistaken, in 1.11b, you don't get synergies unless it's a skill you can put hard points into (i.e., a pally can't get synergy points from hydra). Is your FB pally in 1.11b, or in 1.10?

If the meteor synergy works, then the build is much more viable... but my understanding of the latest patch is that none of these loopholes work anymore.

13. Fluffballer

Hmm, from the Arreat Summit:

So it sounds like you might be right. I assumed it was different with Trang's set since you just sort of magically have access to meteor instead of having an item with charges or +skills.

Regardless, the safety of the character is still there. I'd probably use FW as a main skill and pally skills/FB as backups.

Edit: And the Oskill description, which specifically mentions Trang's, doesn't mention synergies.

14. MadMardigan

Wow, a veritable bonfire of replies has broken out, didn't expect that.

Anyway, thanks for your discussion.

Fluffballer: The fireball/templar is at heart a templar, so something like:
    20 FoH
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Holy Shield
    Enough in Conviction for lvl 25 with skills
    Prereqs and 1 pt wonders

For equipment I was planning:
    Harley w/fire facet
    Trang's Gloves
    Trang's Belt (once I find it :badteeth:)
    Dragonscale w/facet (spirit until lvl 80)
    SoJ and FCR ring(s)
    Was thinking Ormus' Robes for the +15% fire damage
    No clue on ammy or boots
    Probably Spirit sword until HotO

So I can manage some decent equipment, though I'd have to use the Trang's armor until I find that belt.

There was also some debate (back when this build was semi-popular) as to whether a +3 Fireball Ormus would work with this, I'd like someone like RTB to confirm or deny this please! <worship>

So there we go!
    ~MM

15. Milb

Milb Diabloii.Net Member

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere this won't work, the +skills on Ormus are Sorceress only so they won't work with the Paladin.